Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   Packing odds-n-ends for the Osa (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/packing-odds-n-ends-for-the-osa-754000/)

sumi Dec 19th, 2007 07:32 AM

Packing odds-n-ends for the Osa

We'll be spending 5 days at Bosque del Cabo on the Osa. I admit that I usually "wing" the packing but am trying to plan this time since there is a weight restriction for the flight down. I have a couple of questions about some odds-n-ends.

Should we take our own nalgene water bottles? How about hydration packs?

How about beach towels? My son definitely likes having a towel at the beach but it sounds like it's a hike to the beach. Should I pack a few of our backpacking towels?

My husband wants to take his fishing rod. Will he have an opportunity to use it?

Any other things you didn't think to take but wish you'd had?

Thanks!

coolbluewater Dec 19th, 2007 10:40 AM

I brought my nalgene water bottle--lightweight and easier on the environment than buying water there (though it's readily available).

They have towels available, that you can bring to the beach as I recall.

Don't know about the fishing rod.

Bring ziplocs. Big ones...keeps the bugs out AND keeps your clothing dry. Wish I had brought my mini reading light (the one that clips on to a book) as well.

tully Dec 19th, 2007 10:43 AM

I don't know about the water bottles, that's a personal call I guess. Just me, I usually buy a bottle of water and then constantly refill it. At Bosque they have a huge water bottle at the bar that you are free to fill up as often as you'd like. They have large blue towels at the pool, I think it is okay to take to the beach with you, just make sure to bring back. A sarong works well also. The rod would only really be of use if you take the 1 hour ride back into Puerto Jimenez and plan to hire a boat; you could try to fish from the 1st or 2nd beach at the bottom of the Golfo Dulce trail but they're both beaches, no piers or anything and pretty rough, so don't know if that would work out.

Definitely bring some clothespins, I always find they come in handy there. I also bring 1 or 2 platic trash bags, for damp clothes/shoes to try to keep the "Osa funk" at bay, plus a small bottle of febreeze. :)

sumi Dec 19th, 2007 01:24 PM

Sarongs are a great idea -- definitely adding to my list!

One more question and this isn't really for BdC but more for when we're in Arenal. What do you do with your stuff (car keys, a few dollars, maybe a small camera, etc.) when you're on the ziplines? Can you carry a small backpack with the harness on? Or should I take a fanny-pack? Or will the tour company provide a secure place?

hopefulist Dec 19th, 2007 03:10 PM

My CA packing list is #15 on the FAQ thread of the Thorntree Forum. It's here if you're interested:

http://www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntre...2&tstart=0

Since I posted a few years ago I use a UV Steripen for water purification instead of a pump, carry a memory card reader so I can blog, and use braided surgical tubing for clothesline - no pins needed.

Happy trails!

hipvirgochick Dec 19th, 2007 03:45 PM

In answer to the zip-line question, I just put stuff in my camera case (had a shoulder strap) and wore zipping. You could also wear a small pack, the harness is pretty open.

mvski Dec 19th, 2007 04:44 PM

Hi,

Stayed on the Osa. Not Bosque though. Very casual country--no need to pack too much. Bring the plastic bags for sure. Things do not dry easily. Bring some wipes (they come in handy). Love the Fabreze idea. Solid pair of water shoes. Reading light is a good idea as well as flashlight. Bug spray, shampoo, sunscreen. You can usually use their towels. There is plenty of water. We just bought one and refilled. We drove so I did pick up some things in Sierpe (munchies, liquid refreshments :), bring some reading material or cards (very hard to find). I'm not sure what town you fly into - you may not have the opportunity to pick things up.

Osa is beautiful!! Have fun!

volcanogirl Dec 19th, 2007 05:43 PM

We just bought bottled water at the bar and then used the free tap to refill it each day. I'd probably skip bringing the rod; everyone we know who fished there hired a boat, and they supplied fishing gear for everyone to use. Don't forget a headlamp and mosquito repellent. If you'll be there during rainy season, I'd bring one of those cheap rain ponchos that folds up into a little pouch - much easier than carrying an umbrella.

sumi Dec 20th, 2007 06:36 AM

Thanks for the info!

About the rain gear. We're going in late February. I hadn't planned on taking any of our "tech" rain gear. Maybe just throw in a few of those disposable-like ponchos. Should we take umbrellas as well? (We'll be in Arenal, Malpais and the Osa.)

We're expecting to live in our Keens and take a pair of flip-flops or crocs for puttering around. I'm hoping we won't need to bring hiking boots (planning on day-hikes only)...?

volcanogirl Dec 20th, 2007 09:13 AM

The disposable ponchos worked great for us. All of our hotels provided umbrellas for us, but we never used them - too hard to lug around in the jungle and on hikes.

volcanogirl Dec 20th, 2007 09:14 AM

In addition to Keen's, I'd bring some type of closed toe shoe - we just used running shoes, so sticks/rocks don't get in while you're hiking.

campjulie Dec 20th, 2007 09:32 PM

We got a lot of use from our lighweight raincoats we purchased from REI. My kids are wearing theirs to school now. For shoes, we lived in our Solomon Amphibians and flip flops (we packed nothing else). I brought a braided clothesline that was helpful and Oil of Olay daily facials (dry cloths that lather with soap) rather than packing my face cleanser, etc. We all had water bottles that we refilled. Also glad we packed a deck of cards and the game "Pigs." I wish I had packed two bandanas. (Great for all of those humid Costa Rica hair days.)

tully Dec 21st, 2007 04:05 AM

Agree with not bringing an umbrella, too awkward to lug around. I have a ll bean rainjacket that folds up into a tiny pouch, I love it and use it on every trip as a rainjacket, a jacket on the cold plane or as a pillow. Also agree to have close toed shoes, definitely a must to keep ants, pebbles and mud out. I also make sure I have barrettes and ponytail holders, hair in my face when it's hot and humid drives me crazy. I also like bringing Benedryl as it's good for any allergies, itching and comes in handy on those nights you can't fall asleep. Never hurts also to grab a newspaper on your way down or in PJ, balled up and stuffed in shoes and it will dry them out very fast if they get wet.