Search

Packing list for Costa Rica

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10th, 2010, 01:20 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Packing list for Costa Rica

We will be in Costa Rica for 10 days later this month. We will spend almost all of our time on the Nicoya coast - can anyone tell me what the weather will be like. Do we need jackets and sweatshirts, rain gear or mostly shorts and t-shirts?
Old Nov 10th, 2010, 02:29 PM

Mostly shorts and t-shirts. No need for jacket or sweatshirt. You might bring a long sleeved shirt. For rain gear, just bring one of those lightweight ponchos that fold into a little pocket. Or you could buy a small umbrella once you are here. Probably you won't need the rain gear and the seasons are in the process of changing from wet to dry.
Old Nov 10th, 2010, 04:22 PM

I would advise the plastic ponchos and perhaps rubber boots.
Old Nov 10th, 2010, 09:45 PM

I was in CR in September and realized why people advise bringing a bandana or cotton handkerchief--to wipe the constant sheen of sweat off of your face. I also found convertible pants to be extremely helpful, I could zip the legs off when it was warm during the day and zip them back on during a rainstorm.
Old Nov 11th, 2010, 03:54 AM

Agree with a bandanna or two, always carry a couple to wipe the sweat off.

I wouldn't suggest bringing rubber boots though. Only if you're going on long hikes deep in the rain forest. Too heavy and unwieldy to bring with you and if you really needed them you can pick some up in a nearby town. Sneakers or hiking shoes are fine, plus some sandals or flip-flops.

I would bring one long-sleeved shirt or light jacket, especially if you will overnight any in San Jose/Alajuela as it gets a little cooler there.

I always bring a few clothespins, very handy to hang up wet/damp clothes outside. Also, bring a couple of flashlights.
Old Nov 11th, 2010, 06:48 AM

We got our rain ponchos at Target for under $10, and they work great. I like to pack a pair of Keen's since they dry quickly. Those and running shoes have done the job for me. I also pack a couple of plastic bags for things that don't get dry.
Old Nov 11th, 2010, 01:14 PM

Re The rubber boots..if you are going this month I doubt the damage will be undone, the trails are really muddy. If you are going to be hiking you will appreciate them. Do not expect to find them at any little tienda when you need them, some guides may have loaners but other activities may not.

If you will be doing your own washing along the way bring something strong for getting mud out.

That said, there was enough sun today to burn the tops of my feet,although it's raining again now.
Old Nov 11th, 2010, 04:47 PM

Yeah, rubber boots, to bring or not to bring? I guess, as migb says, if you plan on doing a lot of hiking, you might want them. You can pack things inside of them, so that helps with the space.

If I know I'm going to do a lot of hiking on muddy trails, I take mine because I like them better than others I usually find. Honestly, though, I appreciate them more for the times when I am walking not on a trail, but through grasses and vegetation where I can't see what's on the ground--mud or no mud.

If your hiking will be minimal, I'd skip them.
Old Nov 11th, 2010, 04:48 PM

Perhaps I wasn't clear. . .I wear them for protection from snakebite when in vegetation!
Old Nov 12th, 2010, 04:08 AM

You can buy rubber boots all over Costa Rica. If you own a pair of rubber boots that you just love, you could bring them but you probably won't need them. If you are going to a place that is very muddy or hiking into "back country" then wear them. I live in a town of 3,000 and there are five stores here that sell them. They are a staple of life here in Costa Rica so grocery stores and hardware stores have them all the time.

Most tourists don't need rubber boots since they mostly go on trails that are well-maintained. The rain has cleared up and things are drying out so by the end of the month, what with dry season coming up, the mud should be minimal.
Old Nov 12th, 2010, 05:36 AM

When we've stayed at muddy places, the lodges have provided them, so you could check with your lodge as well. Ours had a huge variety of sizes.