Reload this Page >

Pacific Coast Mexico - Beach and Hotel Recommendations

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26th, 2002, 02:15 PM
luce

My best friend and I do a 'flake and bake' ever Christmas, and I would appreciate recommendations for beach and hotel in Mexico, pacific coast preferably. Have posted our experiences at bottom of this message to reciprocate and give an idea of our tastes and experiences.<BR><BR>Our thoughts are turning to PV. Friends have recommended the Quinta Maria Cortez. <BR><BR>Looking for:<BR>#1 - Great swimming beach<BR>#2 - Eclectic hotel (small, but clean, excellent service, under $200/night, a/c or some way to avoid the mosquitos who love me)<BR>#3 - Authentic Mexican food<BR>#4 - Proximity to town but quiet<BR><BR>Previous F & B's:<BR><BR>Troncones - All of the above, except the mosquitos. 20 min cab to Zihua. Hotel Eden (request a bungalow).<BR><BR>Sayulita - Visited many years ago, still savoring memories of the beach.<BR><BR>Kapalua, Maui - Kapalua Beach Resort<BR><BR>many thanks in advance!<BR><BR><BR>

Old Jul 26th, 2002, 03:43 PM
Clarisa

Luce, Quinta Maria Cortez is a very cool house/hotel (I assume you've seen the website?). Definitely unique. And right on the beach. They don't have much of a pool, only a tiny dipping one on the patio (I mention this in case you like to swim or sit around on lounge chairs, that's not this).<BR><BR>I wouldn't call Playa Los Muertos & Choncas Chinas a world-class "great swimming beach" but it is lots of fun.<BR><BR>I'm not sure if that hotel has AC but mosquitos aren't a big problem normally (I've been to PV in December many times and can't remember ever even seeing one, but I was staying a few blocks in from the beach).<BR><BR>Authentic Mexican food~ definitely no problem.<BR><BR>I assume it would be a quiet hotel because you're a ways down the beach from the hotels & restaurants. Unless there is road noise from the highway behind or any construction nearby. It is probably a 10-15 mins. walk up into El Centro or 3 mins. taxi cab ride.

Old Jul 26th, 2002, 05:20 PM
dan

I stay at the Hotel Tropicana on Playa los Muertos when in PV. Within walking distance to everything. I spend most of time in La Manzanilla, Mx. (www.mexicomexico.info)<BR><BR>Hotel Tropicana<BR>Amapas @214<BR>Fx: 01152-322-26737

Old Jul 27th, 2002, 01:46 PM
Geri

Though PV has been our destination of choice for the same time frame over three of the last four years, last year we chose Huatulco and loved it. The Hotel Castillo would satisfy your requirements and so would the town, as regards authentic food, etc. Apple actually has a package; don't be put off by the one-two apple rating-the place is a gem. For more scoop on Huatulco, check out a great site: &lt;tomzap.com&gt; Good luck!

Old Jul 29th, 2002, 03:25 PM
luce

Thanks for replies thus far. 2 more questions: If Playa Los Muertos & Choncas Chinas aren't 'great swimming beaches' are there any nearby? And are they at least 'good swimming beaches'?<BR><BR>

Old Jul 29th, 2002, 04:03 PM
Clarisa

For Luce, Beautiful beaches near PV include Bucerias, Destiladeras, El Anclote (all heading north towards Punta Mita within 1/2 - 1 hr. cheap, local bus ride). And to the south Boca de Tomalan (not as pretty but some folks like it because of few tourists there). Also you can catch the water taxi to Yelapa.<BR><BR>Yes, certainly that stretch of beach (Los Muertos, Chonchas Chinas) is OK for swimming, lots of people do, just realizing that the Pacific coast is not the Caribbean will avoid dissaopintment.