Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Our rough CR plans for 8 nights, suggestions?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 31st, 2006, 11:05 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My g/f and I are planning 8 nights in mid July to early August to go to Costa Rica for the first time. We are a bit overwhelmed with what to see and do. After reading much information on these boards, we have narrowed down 'things to see' to this (not in order):

(flying into Liberia)
Monteverde
Arenal
Rincon de la Viejo
Guanacaste beaches (Tamarindo, Samara, Carrillo??)
Manuel Antonio

We are wondering if we are trying to do too much for 8 nights, and for our beach time, is either Manuel Antonio or Guanacaste beaches more preferable over the other? Are they close enough together to see both or should we choose one or the other? Are we missing anything that is a 'must see'?

Our interests: we are looking for some beach time to swim, relax and snorkel as well as some adventure inland(canopy/ziplines, rafting?). We are planning on renting a 4x4, although nervous after reading about driving/lack of direction in CR. Thank you for any assistance.
Old May 31st, 2006, 11:39 AM

I would cut back to only 2 places, personally. I would think either:
1 NW beach & Rincon de la Viejo
1 NW beach & Arenal
Arenal & Manuel Antonio (but this will up your driving time).

Will you have to overnight near Liberia on your arrival/departure days?
Old May 31st, 2006, 11:49 AM
Original Poster

We are still up in the air as to whether we should fly into San Jose or Liberia...it just seemed that Liberia would be easier but could be wrong. You are right...to cut down the trip. We would definitely want to do Arenal instead of Rincon, and can I assume that Monteverde is close to Arenal? Then we'd choose between Guanacaste or Manuel Antonio for the beach. We don't plan on an overnight stay by any airport, just fly in and drive to destinations...
Old May 31st, 2006, 11:59 AM

A warning: You may not just be able to fly in an drive to your destination. Most flights (though not all) from the US to CR arrive after dark. You do NOT want to drive in the dark in CR. This is exactly why so many of us stay near the airport first and last night.
Old May 31st, 2006, 12:54 PM
Original Poster

We've found some flights that get us in to either San Jose or Liberia around noonish from Atlanta. Considering a trip to Arenal, Monteverde, and Manuel Antonio which airport would make most sense?
Old May 31st, 2006, 01:39 PM

San Jose is best for the three locations you mentioned. Once there, I would start at Arenal and end at MA. 3 1/2 hours from San Jose to Arenal and about 5 1/2 from there to MA. we went back to San Jose and took a 20 minute flight to Quepos. A dramatic way to see the country for a change.
Old May 31st, 2006, 02:23 PM
Original Poster

So you drove to the Arenal/Monteverde area, went back to San Jose, and flew roundtrip to Manuel Antonio/Quepos? Charter? Was that expensive to do?
Old May 31st, 2006, 04:16 PM

I actually hired a driver to Arenal and back to the airport. We didn't want to hassle with the lack of road signs etc... It worked out great because we got to enjoy the beautiful scenery and no arguing about how to read the map etc... If anyone gets car sick, the road to Arenal will bring it on. Bring crackers, soda etc...

The flight from San Jose to Quepos was on SANSA airlines. It was very inexpensive under $100.00 roundtrip. They have a shuttle from Quepos that stops at all the resorts (little hotels) in MA.

We did not go to Monteverde. We did not want to rush anything and we only had 9 days. Our flights forced s to have 2 days in San Jose...1 coming and 1 going. We actually enjoyed them.
Old May 31st, 2006, 05:01 PM
Original Poster

Good info! How much was the driver from San Jose to Arenal and back?
Old May 31st, 2006, 05:40 PM

Haven't yet been to CR but doing lots of research for 3wk trip next year & have looked into transportation to Arenal from SJ & thought you might find these sites helpful:

http://www.arenal.net/tour/transportation.htm

http://www.interbusonline.com/servic...larShuttle.asp
both have shuttles for $29pp from SJ to Arenal
Old May 31st, 2006, 06:10 PM

I used interbus between Alajuela & Arenal, would definitely use again. They were on time (actually waiting for me on one leg), it's cheap and no hassle.
Old May 31st, 2006, 09:03 PM

We went from Alajuela to Arenal as well. We booked directly through the Marriott Resort (stunning property $114.00 per night for 5 people.) before we got to CR.

Cost $110.00 one way. We needed a van for 5 people. We were more concerned with convenience and stopping along the way when we wanted to and have a tour guide along the way than finding the cheapest way. It was great.
Old Jun 1st, 2006, 02:10 AM

If you do decide to go with Arenal and a northern pacific beach, then Liberia is the best choice of airport.

Old Jun 1st, 2006, 04:21 AM

We drove all around CR (3 weeks) two years ago - it was a challenge, but worth all the trouble. The biggest problem is your hands get sore from trying to hold the car on the wheel. Our "average" speed was 25 km/hr!

I would recommend skipping San Jose too and fly directly to Liberia. Don't miss Monteverde or Arenal, and if you can, stay at the Smithsonian Arenal Observatory - it's wonderful to lay in bed at night and watch the buring rocks falling down the volcano. It's also worth a guided tour of the area (ours included dinner at the natural hot springs at the end) - the tour guides are wonderful local people with tons of information to share with you.

Wherever you go, you should love it!
Old Jun 2nd, 2006, 11:04 AM

Wow! So many good suggestions!

If you opt for a hotel in Guanacaste (northern Pacific beaches, you can do a day trip to the Rincon de la Vieja). And also visit either Arenal or Monteverde, but not both. They are close together physically, but HOURS apart. For this kind of vacation, definitely fly into Liberia.

I truly think that the Arenal/Manuel Antonio combo is perfect for first time visitors. Such a wide range of things to see and do. For that, I'd fly into San Jose. We always manage to get to Arenal from the airport in about 2.5 hours. You'd have about a 6 hour transfer to Manuel Antonio, then a 3 hour drive back to the airport.

We like to drive ourselves, and always enjoy the sights along the way. However, in Arenal and Manuel Antonio, it is very easy to get around by taxi, so you could easily take advantage of Interbus. www.interbusonline.com

If you stay in Guanacaste, a car would be nice--there are a lot of beaches to explore up and down the coast.

Whatever you decide will be wonderful, as someone else already said. It's all beautiful! Enjoy!
Old Jun 2nd, 2006, 11:10 AM

I would highly recommend the driver we used from San Jose to Arenal and back - he was definitely the cheapest rate we were quoted ($95 each way) and was just about the nicest guy ever!

We were thinking Interbus too but in the end, it was just really nice to walk out of the airport and see someone with your name on a sign waiting for you...

His name is Mario but I communicated with Eugene at <[email protected]> to set everything up.
Old Jun 3rd, 2006, 08:19 AM

look at these travelblogs:

http://costa-rica.typepad.com/la_for...ome/index.html

http://costa-rica.typepad.com/playa_...ome/index.html

http://costa-rica.typepad.com/playa_...ome/index.html

http://costa.rica.typepad.com/tamarindo/home/index.html