Osa Wildlife Sanctuary Summer Camp

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25th, 2008, 05:35 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We stayed at Bosque del Cabo last March and had a wonderful time. While there, we visited the wildlife sanctuary, and my two daughters fell in love with the facility. This summer the sanctuary is opening a 10-day summer camp, and both of my daughters are interested in attending. They will be ages 14 and 12. The thought of leaving my daughters in the jungle with an organization I know very little about makes me a bit nervous. The directors of the sanctuary seemed like wonderful people and very dedicated to their work, but I only met them for a short period, and don't know if the facility is well suited to running a camp for kids (they accept 12 children for each session)

I'm also wondering if there is any type of camp accreditation in Costa Rica. I guess I would feel more comfortable if I knew that the camp was accredited.

If anyone has seen the new facilities at the sanctuary or has any insight or opinions about the camp, I'd really appreciate hearing about it. It sounds like it could be a wonderful experience, but I would feel better if I had some assurances from others on this board who are more familiar with the area.

Thanks so much.
Old Sep 25th, 2008, 07:17 PM

I received a newsletter from Carol recently but they haven't posted new photos yet but heard the move went well. I think it looks like a wonderful way to spend time but just make sure they know fully well what they're getting into, such as the bugs, probably shared/cramped quarters, and (not positive on this) little to no electricity. That said it's something I would've loved to do as a kid, or even now!
Old Sep 25th, 2008, 08:05 PM

Oh my gosh, if you do this let me know how it went. My seven year old would love to have something to look forward to in her teen years!
Old Oct 2nd, 2008, 10:53 AM
Original Poster

Tully: Thanks for your reply. My younger daughter is a bit nervous about the bugs -- they are not a concern during the day, but she gets creeped out at night. When we stayed in La Palma, she could not sleep in the open loft. She slept with her dad on the ground floor and I slept in the small bed in the loft (which, for me, was SO much more comfortable than the king bed). I will probably fly my daughters down to Puerto Jimenez and stay at BCD for a few days to make sure they are able to adjust to the conditions. I think they'll be so thrilled to be there that they'll learn to live with the bugs.

The only session of camp that works for us is August 5 to the 15. I know this is the rainy season, but I was wondering if it can be unbearably rainy. Is it worthwhile going at this time of year?

Monica: If my kids attend the camp, I'll let you know how it is!

Thanks for your help.
Old Oct 3rd, 2008, 11:27 AM

I would love to visit Bosque del Cabo--your children are very lucky to have travelled to such a wonderful place with you---I'm sure your whole family will cherish those memories.

As far as this camp---as a mother (children now are 25 &27), long time Girl Scout leader, teacher, I would hesitate to send my children so far away when they are so young. This philosophy, drove my daughter crazy while she was growing up--she has since forgiven me. She wanted to go to Australia when she was 14. What if they become ill, hurt, homesick, etc.? They would be really far from home.

I think this is a wonderful thing for them to do when they are older--I told my daughter she could go to Australia in college(she chose London). Our children are blessed to have so many opportunities to see the world. I was never on a plane until my Senior high school trip.

Other parents don't feel this way but I do seem to be more cautious. My daughter says I tend to focus every bad thing that could happen. (I like to think of it as being detail oriented--always prepared for an emergency and always having a Plan B). Hence, my obsession with Fodors and trip planning. (You should have seen me plan a Girl Scout trip with 25 scouts--glad those days are over. I must have been nuts.)