Osa weather and laptop at Bosque Del Cabo

Old Jul 19th, 2010, 04:40 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Osa weather and laptop at Bosque Del Cabo

We are leaving for the Osa at the end of this week for 1 week and taking my daughters ages 20 & 24. Last year my husband and I went to BdC the end of July and it only rained for a few hours almost every evening for an hour or 2 but when I pull up weather underground it looks like it is raining everyday, all day. This will be my daughters 1st time to Costa Rica and I am hopeful that we will have several hours a day of sun. Is there anyone who travels in this area alot and is familiar with the weather pattern? I realize we are going during the rainy season and I dont mind a little rain but I also want some fun in the sun as we have a lot of different activities that we want to do while we are there. Also, my daughter asked if she could bring her laptop and some dvd's to watch movies after dark and my first reaction was "no" due to the limited electricity but told her I would ask others to be certain. I thought I had read one time that the weather in the Osa was bad for computers. I want her to experience life without electronics but I would like give her an honest answer. Any thoughts?

Thanks~susie
Old Jul 19th, 2010, 05:07 PM

As far as the computer goes I think that's really a personal choice. It does deplete the electricity, but I'm not sure if they are "banned" like flat irons and hair dryers. Personally, I think it's a few days to escape for electronics myself. I do allow my daughter to bring music, I'm not a monster. Ask any local and they will tell you the weather is not predictable there, plus it's been somewhat of a "rainier than normal" season. I was there a couple of weeks ago and at times it would be sunny, at times overcast, and we did have a few days (out of 7) where it rained in the afternoon. Although it may not have been prime weather for getting a good tan, we were still able to enjoy all the hikes and outdoor activities we wanted to.
Old Jul 19th, 2010, 06:24 PM

I think it would be fine to bring the laptop, but if you have doubts, I would just e-mail BdC and ask. They're pretty responsive. I wouldn't think a laptop would be such an energy zapper like a blow dryer. We went in July and didn't get a single drop of rain, but everyone said that that really isn't the norm. I hope you get some sunshine.
Old Jul 20th, 2010, 07:03 AM

I carry my laptop with me on the Osa, so as long as it is protected and inside some kind of protective case so the moisture doesn't get into it, then no worries. The biggest concern should be theft. I would ask BdC if they have any restrictions on computer use, but I would guess not.

Regarding the rain, yes, it's been raining every day, mostly in the afternoon. Plan your outings for the mornings, and plan to enjoy walks in the rain in the afternoon. The birds love the rain and sing beautiful songs for you during this time. Also, rainy weather is perfect for napping and other romantic pursuits, and goes very well with relaxation.

Pack some rubber boots, or pick up a pair at the BM Market in Puerto Jimenez. They make it easy to walk through the muddy trails without worry, and also provide some snake protection.

I'm sure you will get some sunshine, but just be prepared for the rain.

Pura Vida,
Ballado Diaz
Marine Biologist & Jungle Guide, Osa, Corcovado & La Amistad
http://www.facebook.com/jaguardmans.adventures
Old Jul 20th, 2010, 08:19 AM

When we go down to Costa Rica, my laptop acts up and doesn't work. I finally figured out that it's the humidity. We're in the Central Valley, but we don't have air conditioning. I keep it on our refrigerator now, and it works fine. I figured if it works on potato chips, it would work on computers I vote for leaving the laptop home.
Old Jul 20th, 2010, 08:22 AM
Original Poster

Snake protection??? EEK! Do the snakes love rain too??
Old Jul 20th, 2010, 08:52 AM

You might think about getting a small DVD player if you don't want to bother with the computer. We have a portable one that we travel with.
Old Jul 20th, 2010, 09:09 AM
Original Poster

That sounds like a good idea vocanogirl!

Thanks for all the info Jauguarman! I will see how the weather is looking when we get to Puerto Jimenez and will buy us all some boots if it is still so rainy.

I just hope we will be able to go to the animal sanctuary and zipline along w/ some other activities without a lot of rain/storm issues. I am sure BdC will do their best to help us get things scheduled around the rain if they can. I am just soooo Type A that is will worry me until we actually get there. LOL!!