Osa or Manuel Antonio

Old Nov 13th, 2009, 11:47 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Osa or Manuel Antonio

Hi All,
I have read so much here my head is spinning. This is our first trip and we rarely return because we want to discover new places. We have 10 days and are going to Tortugeuro (Tortuga Lodge) Arenal (Lost Iguana) and I have finally settled on a Manuel Antonio Hotel (Issimo) . Before I make the MA reservation I find I cannot get Bosque del Cabo and the OSA out of my head. So many of you rave about the Osa and BDC but I know I would have to take another small plane and it will add a bit more expense. For those of you who have done both what do you think? We are celebrating our 20th anniversary and I really would like to see lots of wildlife (but no vipers!) OSA of MA? Thank you for your help.
Old Nov 13th, 2009, 12:05 PM

The Osa and Manuel Antonio are on total opposite ends of the spectrum. At Bosque del Cabo, you can hike for hours on the trails and never see another person.

Wildlife is prevalent in both areas, but in MA, you'll see a lot of other people crowded around the animals; on the Osa, you may have them all to yourselves.

The monkeys in MA are so used to people that they'll try to steal your potato chips and can open them. On the Osa, animals tend to act more naturally.

MA has very easy beach access, but at BdC you'll have to hike down to the beach. MA also has loads of hotel and restaurant choices. At BdC, you'll most likely eat all your meals there. Dining is communal at dinner, so you can share stories about your day and spottings.

It really depends on if you want to go to a developed or undeveloped area and your own personal preferences. In MA, we felt like we were in the states a lot of the time, which some people like because it's comfortable. Lots of American hotel and restaurant owners. We thought the Osa was amazing, but it's not as easy as MA. Can't use blow dryers etc. and MA has spots with air conditioning. If you want a cushy beach vacation, go to MA. If you want a wow factor, go to the Osa.
Old Nov 13th, 2009, 12:43 PM

If you're pretty sure you're never going to go back, then I would highly recommend BdC and the Osa. I've been to both MA and the Osa, and like volcanogirl says, they're very different. MA has its perks and I would return there, but the Osa wins hands down in terms of unique experiences -- and BdC is just an amazing and peaceful place.
Old Nov 13th, 2009, 12:49 PM

I think you would enjoy Manuel Antonio. Spending time in the Osa area is cetainly worth a second trip. There are a number of lodges in the Osa area that get rave reviews. We found BdC to be fine, but it's not the only good thing there. We plan on Casa Bambu and El Remanso in the future. We still return to Manuel antonio and have no major complaints. Touristy? Compared to what? Americanized? Compared to what? It's POPULAR. Many of the hotels offer beauty, some degree of seclusion, good food, and troups of monkey and flights of birds visible from your balcony. The critters in the park itself are pretty aggressive, but there is quite a large area outside the park to absorb the people who come there. It IS being built up little by little, (exploited, rather than developed), houses are popping up, trees are being cut down to provide better views, and more and more septic tanks are being packed into less space, but it is lovely in its own special way. See it now before this http://www.jademanuelantonio.com/ is finsihed. Plan to return to the Osa for a longer, future trip.
Old Nov 13th, 2009, 01:48 PM

Americanized as in several places we visited elsewhere in CR would greet us with hola or maybe not speak fluent English in restaurants. In MA, the most frequent greeting we got was, "What's up guys?" etc. Restaurant after restaurant had waiters and owners in baseball caps. We even joked that we felt like we were in Florida. It is nice, but it didn't have that aunthentic Costa Rican feeling that we felt in other parts of the country. We also felt a little sorry for the animals in the park. We saw 15 people crowded around a monkey, lots of flash bulbs going off. On the Osa, I saw entire troops of howlers, capuchins, and spider monkeys go by and no one else was around to see it - it was amazing to have that feeling.
Old Nov 13th, 2009, 03:26 PM

If you want to spend your anniversary somewhere near beaches, with access to restaurants and shopping, then MA. If you want to be in the middle of the rainforest with lots of wildlife and hiking opportunities, go with Osa. I debated this for a long time my first trip to CR as well and I'm so glad I picked Osa. I've since been to MA, but return to Osa every time. Bosque del Cabo is a great choice.
Old Nov 13th, 2009, 03:54 PM
Original Poster

Turns out the choice may be made for me. We would go from Arenal to Puerto Jiminez. The flight on Nature Air is 2:45 hrs. I think I can handle the 30 min from Tortuguero to San Jose but not 2:45 and I suspect there is more than one take off and landing which I don't think I can handle. I am a VERY fearful flyer and usually fly tranquilized on big planes. Does anyone have any idea how long the drive to the Osa would be?
Old Nov 13th, 2009, 05:55 PM

I believe the flight from San Jose to Puerto Jimenez is around 50 minutes, and from Arenal to San Jose around 30 minutes. It would not be a direct flight from Arenal, there would be a stop in San Jose, and it is possible you would change planes. The 2:45 you saw is probably factoring in a layover at the airport in San Jose.

Someone else will have to chime in on how long the drive would be from San Jose to the Osa, but I think it is an all day event.
Old Nov 13th, 2009, 07:12 PM

Maybe you could go from Arenal to San Jose via car and then fly from San Jose. Based on your wanting to see lots of wildlife, I just think the Osa would have more impact for you. I was thinking the same as janienicole - that from SJO to Puerto Jimenez was a little under an hour. Personally I wouldn't want to drive to the Osa, but I hope you end up having a wonderful adventure wherever you go. Tortuguero and Arenal are two of our favorite spots.
Old Nov 14th, 2009, 07:27 AM

Judging from the time factor and the sound of your comments, I think, if I were you, I'd go with Manuel Antonio. You'll not find a more dedicated "fan" of the Osa and Bosque del Cabo in particular, but it is just special enough that I don't think I'd try to wedge it in to this particular itinerary.

As another poster commented, it is worth going again and making it the centerpiece of your itinerary. Logistically, this time, MA just seems like a good choice for you.

As for vipers, that is quite the unpredictable thing. As much as we have been on the lookout for them, hoping to see them on our own terms, what can I say? You just never find them when you go looking! It is always very unexpected, like the fer de lance right on our steps outside our MA hotel! You can classify that as a RARE occurence!

From one fearful flyer to another, when I get on that small plane for a trip down to the Osa, I'm so darned excited to be going, I just hop right on and don't give it much thought. The safety records down there are excellent, and that comforts me. Weather is the one thing that alarms me, and I prefer taking those flights in the a.m. before it gets cloudy and rainy (during the rainy season). And yes, the time you were quoted would be for 2 short flights with a layover in between.

To drive to the Osa from the airport area would be about 7-8 hours. It's a long day. Interesting, for sure, if you have the time to do it. For most people, "days" are at a premium, and they'd rather have every second possible at BdC!

I've never had that "too Americanized" feeling at Manuel Antonio nor at Playa Flamingo, which has been developed for years. We enjoy both places because they are beautiful and worth seeing. When we stay at Bosque del Cabo or Iguana Lodge or Hotel Finca Exotica on the Osa, we encounter (and enjoying visiting with) owners who are not Tico but from the U.S. or Germany or Canada, so I guess you could say those hotels are Americanized as well. Doesn't take away from the area, at least for us.

Places like Manuel Antonio and Arenal are more "crowded", but that is such a relative term, and is nothing like the crowds we are used to seeing in our country when we say a place is "crowded". It is true, however, that if you want to have trails to yourselves and more natural wildlife viewings, the Osa is a good place for that. But if Manuel Antonio is new to you, then certainly you will enjoy it! We've found it is very hard to make a bad decision when considering any area of this beautiful country.
Old Nov 14th, 2009, 07:31 AM

Okay, I'm rereading your original post. Not sure about your times (arrival,departure) as this can easily require 2 nights near the airport. So do take that into consideration. BUT if you stay Tortuguero 2 nights, Arenal 3 nights, and can manage at least 4 nights at Bosque del Cabo within the constraints of your schedule, then it certainly would be a viable choice! I don't think I'd head down there for less than 4 nights. I'm sure you are now totally confounded, but you guys will have a fabulous time whatever you decide! You may just find that you HAVE to return to this one place another time--most of us have found ourselves in that spot!
Old Nov 14th, 2009, 10:45 AM

I wrestled with where to go for our first visit too. Then I just bit the bullet and booked. We are staying 3 nts Arenal-Lost Iguana(1 nt free), 4 nts Bosque del Cabo(first week in May when the rates drop) and the first and last night at Xandari (15% discount).

I really don't like moving around that much. I wish I didn't have the one nts at Xandari---and we actually arrive in Costa Rica at noon (but we are getting up at 3am ET to catch our flight). I think getting to Arenal might just be too much. It also seems that people often stop along the drive to Arenal and I would like to enjoy the drive, not sleep through it.

I hated to miss Manuel Antonio, and have been second guessing my decision.

We are getting a driver to get us to Arenal and back. Isn't it a 3 hour drive? We need to get to the airport from Arenal for our NatureAir flight. I booked the last flight to Puerto Jimenez which is 11:30 am. The flight is 50 minutes long.
Old Nov 14th, 2009, 12:02 PM

Linda, I think you'll really like Xandari. We just tried it on our last trip and were very happy. Beautiful views from that property. It's a great spot for relaxation, very pretty grounds too.
Old Nov 14th, 2009, 01:40 PM

Linda, it sounds like a very good itinerary to me. Don't second guess yourself--and I think, from what everyone, especially vgirl says, Xandari will be a wonderfully relaxing beginner and ender for you. And that can make a lot of difference in the overall quality of your experience. Smart move not to head to Arenal right off after that early wake up.
Old Nov 14th, 2009, 05:30 PM
Original Poster

I want to thank all of you for your input. I had decided that the logistics to the Osa were prohibitive this trip but want to keep a return trip open with our boys. However, after exhaustively researching reviews for MA properties I just wasn't 100 percent sold on any property. I accidently saw a review for a villia in the Dominical area and the website bowled me over so I am going to book there. I was looking for a wow factor and I think I found it.
Old Nov 14th, 2009, 07:48 PM

Terrific! Dominical is special in its own right. You'll have a great time. It's always nice when the itinerary suddenly just seems "right"!
Old Nov 15th, 2009, 03:07 AM

millie, that's awesome that you seem to have found your perfect fit. It sounds like a happy accident. We've stayed at Tortuga Lodge and Lost Iguana, so can vouch that you'll really enjoy those. I'd love to hear what you think of Dominical; I've always read good reviews of Shelter from the Storm in that area.

Linda, if you didn't want to stay first and last nights at Xandari, you could always do one of those nights at the Peace Lodge. It's one of those spots that's fun for a night just because the rooms are so indulgent.
Old Nov 15th, 2009, 04:56 AM

I actually considered Peace Lodge but Xandari charges $166/standard room, including transportation to the airport and continental breakfast. Peace Lodge's standard room is $235. We try to stay under $200/nt. It does look pretty spectacular.

We booked Lost Iguana at $123/nt. I was a bit upset when I just read on this forum that the lava flow had shifted and wasn't visible. Maybe it will shift again by May. I had considered staying at AOL since everyone here recommends it but since we have to get back to San Jose for our flight to the Osa, I thought the road to AOL might take us a bit longer--but what do I know.

Is Arenal to San Jose(Pavas) a 3 hour drive?
Old Nov 15th, 2009, 06:04 AM

millie - where are you looking at Dominical? There are many nice places to stay in the area and it's a little more off the beaten track; though not sure how long that will last - the bad road between MA (Quepos) and Dominical is all but finished.

Linda definitely keep the Xandari night. Just left there Friday and loved it. I would suggest also splurging on their Welcome to Paradise package in the spa - $75 for a good time in the jacuzzi overlooking the city down below and then a massage. The trails and walks around the property are also great, so much to see.
Old Nov 15th, 2009, 06:44 AM

The continental breakfast at Xandari is good too. Peace Lodge had stopped serving complimentary breakfasts the last time we went - kind of a bummer considering how high their prices are. Yep, Arenal to San Jose is about 3 hours.

tully, I'm glad you like Xandari! We loved their grounds too.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -