Search

Osa hotels

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3rd, 2004, 08:42 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Osa hotels

Hi,
We are planning a trip to Costa Rica in March. This will be our fourth time in Costa Rica and have decided to go to the Osa Pennisula. We have options to stay three nights in a delux cabina at Bosque del Cabo or to stay nearby at El Remanso for five nights. Has anyone heard of El Remanso. It is less expensive than Bosque...
One option would be to stay three nights at one place and two at another.
Another option would be to spend three nights in Osa and travel to another part of CR such as Arenal or the Caribbean where we have not been.
Any helpful hints would be appreciated.
Thanks
Old Dec 3rd, 2004, 08:46 AM

You have only 5 nights? I would definitely limit it to the Osa, however you choose to divvy it up. In my opinion, you should jump on those 3 nights in the deluxe at Bosque del Cabo, then worry about how you want to spend the other 2 nights!

I would either stay all 5 on the Osa or save it for another trip, and split the 5 nights between Arenal (2 nights) and the Caribbean (3 nights).

By the way, the best months (as far as less rain) to visit the southern Caribbean are Sept. and Oct.
Old Dec 4th, 2004, 03:55 AM

You need to read 'Places we stayed in Costa Rica. Rants and Raves' Will try to birng it ttt for you

Old Dec 5th, 2004, 06:55 PM

I would definitely stay at Bosque del Cabo! Have heard several not so favorable reviews on El Remanso. My husband and I walked down there from Bosque one day and met with Belen. She is one of the owners as well as the cook. Keep in mind that she is used to cooking on a Greenpeace ship. There were no guests there at the time. The place seemed nice and the location was very pretty but have heard that things are not quite the way she described them to me. Her husband Joel runs the waterfall rapelling which is right by their property but reached via the beach. Sounds like fun.

A couple of other options for your other two days would be to go down the road to Carate. Look Out Inn is right on the beach and very pretty. Also very laid back. Luna Lodge is very nice but is set way back along the Carate river and is difficult to get to. Worth the trip.

If you want to actually spend some time on the beach closer to Puerto Jimenez, Iguana lodge has one of the nicest beaches in the area. Do be careful during the high tide change as the water can get rough at that time.

If you flew out of Puerto Jimenez after 3 days in Bosque on an early flight you could get to Arenal that same day if you have a driver arranged to pick you up at the airport or a car reserved at one of the nearby rentals.
Old Dec 5th, 2004, 07:46 PM

Jessie.....I have a question for you as you seem to know a lot about this area...is the wildlife viewing as plentiful at the Iguana Lodge as it is at Bosque Del Cabo? The beach seems better since it is on the gulf and not as rough, but I don't see any comments about all the birds, monkeys, etc when the Iguana Lodge is discussed. Thanks for your help...I am having a hard time making up my mind...LT
Old Dec 6th, 2004, 05:27 AM

I agree with Suzie (Oops! I mean Jessie)about not staying in ElRemanso
Old Dec 6th, 2004, 05:47 AM

No, the wildlife viewing is not as good at Iguana. There is a mangrove up the road where we saw monkeys but the lodge itself doesn't have much in that way. The reserves they mention on the web site are actually ranches that the people are getting money for to let regrow. They are mostly fenced with cattle and cows inside so walking around is not really an option. For the first time last Feb, I saw a lot of Scarlet macaws from there. You would need to go out on a tour someplace to really see anything.

I have stayed in many many places over the years in that area and Bosque del Cabo is by far the best for wildlife.
Old Dec 6th, 2004, 06:12 AM

Suzie2, Jessie. So you are the same person. Why did you change your name here? From what I read you were helpful to a number of posters on this board.
Old Dec 7th, 2004, 01:48 AM

ttt
Old Sep 22nd, 2006, 12:50 PM

Wow, love hearing the positive comments about the Bosque del Cabo. We are staying there 3 nights in January. Has anyone stayed in one of garden rooms? We are flying into Puerto Jimenez and open to suggestions. Any help would be appreciated since this is our first trip.
Old Jan 10th, 2014, 12:19 PM

We stayed at Bosque del Cabo approx 5 years ago and loved it. The first night we were in a classic cabina with an oceanview - it was fantastic. The remainder of our stay was in a garden cabina. We preferred the classic cabina since at night crossing the bridge to the garden area was daunting, but we got used to it.
Old Jan 10th, 2014, 08:42 PM
RAC

Iguana Lodge doesn't have as much wildlife (other than tons of scarlet macaws) but it is close to both town and the water activities like fishing, dolphin sighting tours, etc. there is plenty to do there--just different stuff. Both places are just wonderful though.
Old Jan 11th, 2014, 07:05 AM

Wow, Lolie - that has to be one of the longest times between postings ever! Glad you ended up loving BdC.