Search

Osa for a week

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12th, 2008, 11:21 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Osa for a week

Hey there Osa experts,

So we're re-planning our honeymoon, and can go the week of June 13. When we were planning before for October, certain areas were out because of rain. Now it's wide open!

We have a week, and we're looking at the Osa Peninsula. Since we're taking a plane ride to get there, we're thinking that will be our location. Would you recommend going to more than one hotel/lodge, or would you recommend staying at BdC for the week? It looks like it has everything we would want... my only thought is that it isn't beachfront. But we love vacations where you just unpack once.

Thank you, Emily
Old Oct 12th, 2008, 01:04 PM

If it were me, I would split the week between BdC and another lodge on the beach, somewhere like Iguana Lodge. We absolutely loved BdC but we also love the water and it's a lot of WORK to get to a swimmable beach from BdC!

I agree with you about the packing/unpacking thing but you're most likely going to be packing really light to get to the Osa anyway.
Old Oct 12th, 2008, 01:37 PM

Hey, Emily! Is your foot better?

We stayed at BdC 6 nights when we were in CR. Like you, we didn't want to unpack. I did miss having easy access to the beach, but I don't think I could ever bring myself to stay on the Osa and not be at Bosque. We still spent time on the beach, it was just different than it is in the Caribbean. And we certainly didn't get tired of being at Bosque. If you do decide to stay someplace on the beach, I would do that first, and save Bosque for last.

My regret was that we didn't include time visiting Arenal when we were there, but now we are going back in March and are including that in our trip.

Old Oct 12th, 2008, 01:39 PM

The Bdc/Iguana Lodge combo seems to be fairly popular and as sumi mentions, will give you that split of beach and more remote jungle you're looking for. I think I would be delighted to have the whole week at BdC, but it is true that the beaches are a bit of work to get to. You <i>can</i> hike down to them but it is a bit of a haul. You can also have BdC transfer you for an additional fee, but it's not the same thing as stepping outside of your room and literally onto the sand!

BdC is actually ocean front with gorgeous views; it's just that all the beaches lie down at the bottom of the cliffs BdC perches atop! ;-)
Old Oct 12th, 2008, 02:25 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone!!

Janie, great memory, and thanks for asking. It's definitely better- but certainly would not have been up for Costa Rica. Cast is off, but still on crutches. Getting to plan the trip again is a silver lining, I do really enjoy the planning

I'll check out Iguana Lodge too... maybe I'll convince my soon to be DH that we should go for 8-10 nights to justify unpacking in two places... we're in a vacation for just a week routine.
Old Oct 12th, 2008, 02:33 PM
Original Poster

Sorry, Jane, didn't mean to misspell your name in my last post.

Iguana Lodge looks FANTASTIC!! I love finding a new place online- very exciting!
Old Oct 12th, 2008, 02:45 PM

I would do a split. We loved BDC; we only got to spend 3 nights there, but it was enough for us to do everything we wanted to. We love the beach, so easier beach access would be a total bonus. I always think it's great to experience different properties, and you have enough time, so I would go for it.
Old Oct 12th, 2008, 03:41 PM

We liked Iguana Lodge. We stayed in one of the Club Rooms, and although it was less money, we thought the amenities were excellent, although the room itself was a bit small. Bathrobes, beautiful bathroom, etc. For $125 per night, it was a good bargain. We were on the front side, above the bar and restaurant and just steps from the hammocks and the beach. I loved taking long walks along Playa Plantanares with the resident dogs, Chester, Bam Bam, and Spike.

Spending less at Iguana helped us justify the cost of 5 nights at Bosque! Pasta/salsa Friday nights at Iguana are fun!

Also, while you are at Iguana Lodge, you can do the Animal Sanctuary tour. This is better than trying to do it once you are already at Bosque when it would involve a 45 min. drive down to Puerto Jimenez and back (with a transfer cost).
Old Oct 13th, 2008, 05:25 AM

A few years ago - I believe '05 - We were booked at BdC, but I wanted another location with easy beach access. We were considering flying from the Osa to SJ and then to a beach location on the Nicoya. Someone I believe Susie, suggested Iguana Lodge. IT was a PERFECT trip!!

The staff at the 2 lodges arranged the transportation between the 2.

You can do your activities such as kayaking, wildlife sanctuary, etc, from Iguana, basically anything that would require a trip back to the dock and/or across the bay - plus have the conveniece of stepping out your door to the beach. And then move to BdC for the remainder of your trip.

I would not hestitate to do this again. It truly was a wonderful trip. OH, don't forget about the possiblity of needing to stay in the SJO area on arrival or night before departure. SO certainly push him for a few more nights, nothing wrong with staying longer!!!!
Old Oct 13th, 2008, 08:55 AM
RHR

We have stayed at BdC for the past 3 years and are booked again for this coming Feb.

Last year, while we were there, we had rented a car from Solid for three days.

We set out a couple of the days to explore and headed south toward Carate. What we found was some of the most fabulous, deserted beaches on the OSA.

The driving is relatively easy and Carate is only a short ride away. It also gives you an opportunity to get out of the &quot;compound&quot; and explore a little bit more of the OSA.

We have stayed at Iguana which was just OK and a let down after Bosque.

If you want more info or some photos of the beaches, you can e-mail me at [email protected]
Old Oct 13th, 2008, 09:52 AM

RHR, I have friends (Fodor friends, actually) who will be at BdC in February. What are your dates? It is always fun to meet and visit with other Fodor friends. They are a very nice couple.
Old Oct 13th, 2008, 10:26 AM
RHR

The 11th through the 15th.