Osa de Peninsula accomodations

Jan 20th, 2004, 09:27 AM
Original Poster

Osa de Peninsula accomodations

My family is looking for accommodations in the Osa de Peninsula area from March 27 - April 2, 2004. Their will be 2 adults and 3 children ages 7, 10 and 11 years old. I need recommendations for family friendly accommdations. Also if we stay near Puerto Jimenez how long does it take to get to tours of the Corcovado National Park. We would not like to be on a bus or boat for more than 1 hour prior to arriving to the park if possible. Thanks for any help.
Jan 20th, 2004, 06:05 PM

Puerto Jimenez is about a 1 1/2-2hr drive from Carate. Then you will have about a 30-45min walk along the beach to the La Leona entrance to Corcovado. A private charter plane can be hired to fly you from Pto Jimenez to Carate at a good amount of expense. There are a few places you can stay closer. There are actually 2 tent camps in Carate which is just about at the entrance. One is run by Costa Rica Expeditions, one of the top tour companies in the country. It is rustic but I really enjoyed myself there and the waves were just perfect for body surfing. We had monkeys following along as we hiked on their trail. They have a small canopy platform tour on a trail behind the camp.
The Morgan family (they actually have a canoe livery just a few miles south of where I live in Ohio) has another one just a short ways down the beach just beyond the Costa Rica Expeditions camp called La Leona Tent Camp. If you prefer something a little more comfortable, Lookout Inn is right there at the end of the road in Carate. Another place further up the Carate River and absolutely beautiful is Luna Lodge.
Along the road between Pto Jimenez and Carate are a couple of places. There is actually a house you can rent (Casa Bamboo-they have a caretaker who can help you with arrangements to get to Corcovado), Bosque del Cabo is pretty high priced but a beautiful place with plenty of room for the kids to roam around safely. El Remanso is in that area also but is geared more towards serious birders or serious nature lovers.
You might seriously want to consider looking into staying in Drake Bay rather than further South. From most places in Drake Bay you can get to the Park entrance by boat in about 20-45 mins depending on where you stay. That area also offers many other tour opportunities. Casa Corcovado, La Paloma, Wilderness Adventure, and many other very nice places all offer tours to the park.

Search this Thread