Orquedias Inn or Vista del Valle

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16th, 2006, 02:17 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Several people have suggested the Orquedias Inn on this board. A friend of mine loved Vista del Valle. Which of these would be better for our family of four (2 young adult daughters and parents) if we don't mind spending more money?
Old Nov 16th, 2006, 02:44 PM

They really are 2 completely different places. I have not been to VdV but have read/seen a lot about it. I have stayed at Orquideas 3 times and love it. Orquideas is very casual, easy-going place with a great bar, restaurant & breakfast. They have a very short path area you can walk around, birds & dogs about, a lovely pool, and nicely put together rooms. VdV is more upscale, both in terms or furnishings & price, with more area to walk around. I like Orquideas for the atmosphere, price and closeness to the airport; for a couple of nights stay maybe VdV may hold more with stuff to do about the property.
Old Nov 16th, 2006, 11:17 PM

My take on Orquideas is the same as Tully's--and they have a fun bar. It is a convenient place and used mostly by those just arriving or leaving the next day. I especially enjoy the Marilyn Monroe bar and its atmosphere. The staff there is fun and friendly and we almost always go over there, have dinner and hang out even when we stay at Hotel Villa Bonita (our favorite place for closeness to the airport).

We stayed at VdV one night last summer (last night in the country before an afternoon departure) and vowed to return first chance we get. Absolutely loved it. Especially enjoyed Ilan Ilan bungalow (for a couple). Beautiful property, gorgeous breakfast layout--delicious and overlooking a fabulous view. Excellent dinner meal as well. I'd give it a try if you have the time to enjoy it. I wouldn't give up the $$ just for a quick overnight, though.
Old Nov 17th, 2006, 06:45 AM

Aaaaah, The Marilyn Monroe bar...how I've missed it!

Leaving tonight for Costa Rica, and we'll be sipping drinks at the Orquideas in a week or so. That is if we don't plunge down the side o' the waterfall we're rappelling earlier in the day.

See y'all when we get back!
Old Nov 20th, 2006, 05:20 PM

My two cents goes to the Orquideas.
Old Nov 20th, 2006, 06:02 PM

I have been to both places...and I loved Vista del Valle...and would return there again and again! Orquedias was also nice...but I thought Vista del Valle was more memorable...and offered something a bit more special. So if I had a choice...I would choose VdV!
Old Nov 21st, 2006, 07:32 AM

We disliked our Orquideas gardenside room and upgraded on our return, gratis, to the deluxe up the hill and found it very restful cool blue,with good ventilation, spacious, with backdoor seating on the patio with views into the hills. The colors for our tastes in the gardenside were discomforting.
My two cents.
Old Nov 21st, 2006, 03:30 PM

I am a huge fan of "slow travel" - stop and smell the jungle. If you intend to remain at the hotel for at least three nights, then definitely go for Vista del Valle. Wonderful place! And you will be regretful if you only stay one night there. It would be three very special days.

If you are more "on the move," Las Orquidias is fine - however, if I were "on the move", I would opt for one of the many, perfectly acceptable and equally charming, less expensive options in the area.
Old Nov 21st, 2006, 07:53 PM

And on the other side of the coin re Orquideas rooms, I stayed my 2nd trip up on the hill and on my 3rd trip stayed 2 different times in the gardenside rooms which I really enjoyed more. The bar/pool/restaurant were right outside my door, the decor was cute/funky and it was cheaper. Orquideas is one of those places where if I know I'll be in the area, I don't have ponder where I will stay, I've already decided.
Old Nov 22nd, 2006, 05:18 AM

We've stayed in both types of rooms as well and liked both. But I can see how, for some, the hillside location would be more relaxing and particularly meditative, quieter, etc. We stayed 4 nights once in the larger hillside rooms because they gave us a really good deal (it was green season and they weren't busy).

The owners (and staff) at both hotels are exceptionally friendly, gracious, and helpful. You would enjoy both. You've not replied as to how many nights you will have. Again, that will make a difference--the amount of time you have to spend. Vista del Valle (and I'm probably repeating) is not the place for a late night arrival, early a.m. departure. Too pretty, too expensive to cut your time short there. Orquideas is perfect for the short-timer, and also fun for anyone wanting to spend more time--it's just not as spectacular as Vista del Valle (nor as expensive). Hope you are getting some help from these posts? Where did you go?
Old Nov 22nd, 2006, 09:35 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the replies. We've decided on VdV--for two nights at the end of our stay. We would arrive in the early afternoon, stay two nights, and our plane doesn't leave until 4 in the afternoon, so we actually have some extra time there the last day.

When we arrive in CR I was thinking of just staying at the Marriott to simplify things. Maybe I should consider the Orquedias for that shorter one night stop at the beginning. I'm not quite sure that my daughters would enjoy the bar, however.

By the way, I saw the post about all the highway robberies. Are these taking place around the areas that we're talking about here?
Old Nov 23rd, 2006, 05:09 AM

For your first night I'd stay at Orquideas defintely. And I wouldn't write off the bar for your daughter until you see it, it's very cool with Marilyn memorabilia stuck to every single open space. There are small tables there and it looks out over the pool; a lot of people hang out there to eat, talk, look at the macaws they have etc - it's not necessarily just a place to drink. Alex the bartender is a great person to talk to (aren't they always ?) but he gave me great tips on which grocery store to get the best/cheapest coffee at, etc.

Also, if you do stay at Orquideas the first night, they have a very reasonably priced pick-up or drop-off service to wherever you need to go, and were fine when I requested we make a few stops (atm, groceries, pharmacia, et al).
Old Nov 23rd, 2006, 12:21 PM

Well you have gotten many replies, but I don't get to the forum much anymore and today when I clicked in - this subject caught my eye!

We too have stayed at both VdV and Orquideas.

VdV was enchanting, felt like a princess. Loved the quiet, the rooms, the view, the food, the people! Would go back in a heartbeat.

Orchideas, was perfect for our overnights both beginning and ending of one of our trips. We stayed garden side and I was totally ok with it. Actually being so close to the coffee in the mornings was a big plus to me! The staff and food were also very good here. On our final full day of this trip we booked with Wady Tours (onsight) to travel down into the Orosi Valley, it was a wonderful day and Wady Tours were great to work with.

Since you have a chance - I would certainly do both!

Have a great trip.
Old Nov 23rd, 2006, 05:26 PM

Hi Donna--Happy Thanksgiving!

Yes, it would be great if you could do both--you'll be glad you did. No, your girls will enjoy the bar. It isn't, as Tully says, a typical bar. We prefer eating there rather than the restaurant upstairs--just so we can visit with Alex and others at the bar. Great place. Never will forget watching a total lunar eclipse one night in October, couple of years ago, with the bar staff. It was spectacular!

The news about the highway holdups is, for sure, disconcerting. I hate hearing that stuff and hate worse that it is happening. It is NOT, at the time, going on in the areas where you will be. Although the cloverleaf intersection closer to San Jose (between the airport and the city) is where much of the bad doings have been taking place, we all know that it could happen anywhere--and in fact has taken place in other locales.

I do hope that they will be able to get it under control somehow. It probably isn't Costa Ricans, and I know that the good people of Costa Rica (or the majority of them) just hate the fact that some of their "guests" from other countries (mostly Nicas and Columbinos) are giving CR a bad name.
Old Nov 23rd, 2006, 09:38 PM
Original Poster

so, is it safe to say --no votes for the marriott?
Old Nov 24th, 2006, 04:39 AM

Hi Jill, and Happy Thanksgiving a day late to you!

WELL Jag, there have been many reports thru the years on pleasant and positive stays at the Marriot. BUT Orquideas and Vista del Valle are excellent choices for small Costa Rican hotels. Personally we have never stayed at the Marrriot in CR, we try to avoid large establishments.

As to the bar at Orchideas - ditto on Tully and Shillmacs response. This is not a loud obnoxious bar. And we too never made it up to the dining area in our 3 nights. We had every meal in the bar. We always ran into other travelers beginning and ending their trips, once the conversations began, we just couldn't pull away to the dining room.

Both are lovely places for different reasons and both are 15 - 20 mins from the international airport.
Old Nov 24th, 2006, 06:44 AM

And a late Thanksgiving greeting to you guys - let the dieting begin!

The Orquideas bar really is a great place for meeting other travelers and conversation. Weird being there one night and someone calling my name...turned out to be a couple I had met at SkyTrek in Arenal a few days earlier. I think VdV & Orquideas are great places to get a good feel for CR, the Marriott you could be just about anywhere.
Old Nov 24th, 2006, 06:56 AM

Agreed. Hope the felines had their proper Thanksgiving Day dinner as well. Our mutt thinks she has died and gone to heaven with the leftovers. . .

Yes, let the dieting begin--just in time to blow it again for Christmas! Alas, we should be thankful for our healthy appetites!