Original Canopy Tour in Drake Bay

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1st, 2007, 08:52 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone taken the Original Canopy Tour in Drake Bay? I have not heard glowing reports. Any details?
Old Feb 1st, 2007, 09:09 AM

no when i was there last i was too busy watching thousands of dolphins in the sea and flocks of huge frigate birds flying overhead.
but im glad to hear that the one area of 'remote' costa rica has been colonised by the canopy tour!

can anyone explain to me what the attraction of these canopy tours is.
ive lived here for 3 years and the only people i know that use them are tourists.
i must be missing something!
Old Feb 1st, 2007, 04:04 PM

Unfortunately, I've not met a lot of Ticos who have an extra $300 for a family of 5 or 6 to do ziplines. . .but, if you think about it, many of the Ticos don't get out and enjoy LOTS of areas of their own country. I have very good friends in their 70's who have never been to the beach--or a national park.

I've mixed feelings about ziplines because I know they dislodge the wildlife from the area--for the most part. On the other hand, I've done the zips one time (won't do it again, no need), and it was such a thrill--epecially for someone like me who had a little fear to conquer. Perhaps that can explain it?

Ziplines, in my opinion, are harmful to the environment, but so are those dozens of gated communities. . and over the top homes built on the hillsides. The "rape" (or whatever you wish to call it) of Costa Rica certainly isn't limited to the ziplines. But of course, that doesn't excuse so many of them in every nook and cranny. I guess lots of people want a piece of that pie. That is the real estate mentality all over the country these days. . .
Old Feb 1st, 2007, 07:45 PM

I am with you guanacaste. I have never, nor do I ever intend to, done a zip line. Have never understood why. My reason for going to CR is to enjoy the beauty. I get my thrills out of seeing a beautiful bird or a monkey.

Those gated communities with huge homes really are tearing things up in many places I agree wholeheartedly. It is sad to look at Dominical right now. We had certainly never planned on living in one ourselves but found one in the foothills of Chirripo that is responsibly reforesting the grounds with a thousand trees while allowing small spaces for just a few homes. Our little house will only have two bedrooms but lots of porch to enjoy the views. Eventually we may put in a little guest house for friends and family. We will be adding our own trees as well. We only have 10 acres but we feel we are contributing to the good of the country at least a little. After our two week dendrology course with the Tropical Science Center this summer we hope to understand better what trees will help the most. The Solis family had formerly used the property as a cattle ranch and did what so many ticos did that breaks my heart....deforested huge areas. Fortunately we have a pretty 400 acre cloud forest across from us and then nothing beyond but La Amistad Our community will be adding to the biological corridor that is contiguous with the Skutch property Los Cusingos. There are also several indigenous families on our road that I am looking forward to meeting.

Guess we hijacked this thread. Sorry

Shadow12 I hope you get an answer to your question. Drake Bay is a very pretty area.
Old Feb 4th, 2007, 05:59 AM

and that area that is deforested is used to graze beef cattle, two thirds of the meat is then exported to USA as dog food!!
something to think about next time you buy Lassie a can of dog food!

oh, and of course the cattle are feed with con/maize that is also grown on deforested land!