Options for family snorkeling around Cancun region

Old Feb 13th, 2015, 07:53 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Options for family snorkeling around Cancun region

I visited Cancun quite extensively many years ago, and learned to love El Garrafon (Isla Mujeres), Xcacel, and Xel-Ha. In the 90's the prices (in US dollars) were $15, free, and $20.

I am now taking my family there, wife and 4 kids (youngest is 8). All are passable swimmers but will likely take lifevests anyway. I have been researching where to go and was shocked to see that Xel Ha is now about $100 a person (though a much more immersive experience). Fine, I'll pay $600 for one day in Xel Ha. But now I see that Garrafon is ALSO $90. Very disappointed (it certainly wasn't big enough to warrant that price last time I went).

So my question is this: what are the options for cheap/free + safe snorkeling without a boat?

1. I know about the Club Med reef at the south of the Zone. We will definitely go there.
2. Is the Puerto Morelos reef too far/dangerous to go without a boat? How much (roughly) would a boat charge me for a family of 6?
3. how much does the Akumal reef cost? Do you need a boat there? Is the beach open access or only for hotel visitors?
4. Any other suggestions? I'm considering a snorkel tour, but again, I have a family of 6, so the "$100 per person" is very painful.

5. I am happy to see that Xcacel is back in "business" after at 15 year hiatus.

6. I like Quintana Roo much better 20 years ago, before people figured out how to gouge tourists for natural wonders. (I blame Xcaret!!!).
Old Feb 13th, 2015, 12:11 PM

In Puerto Morelos there is limited snorkeling in front of the Ojo del Agua Hotel, otherwise you need to go out on a boat for $25pp for a couple of hours. There is too much boat traffic and also PoMo is a National Marine Park.
For free shore snorkeling try Akumal.
On Isla Mujeres, next door to the pricy Garrafon Park is Garrafon de Castillo, admission is 60 pesos pp, they have gear to rent, changing rooms and snack bar. IMO the snorkeling is not as good on Isla unless you go out on a boat, again average price is $25pp.
Old Feb 20th, 2015, 08:57 AM
Original Poster

So akumal isn't going to give me a problem just driving up? Never been there.

Thanks for pointing out about the "second" garrafon. Didn't know about that. Which one was previously the government-run park? (That's why Xel-Ha became so extravagant--the government sold it to the Xcaret group)
Old Feb 20th, 2015, 10:08 AM

There are several places to snorkel in Akumal. Akumal Bay has a public beach, but you will have to pay to park (if you can find a spot). Akumal Bay is noted for turtles. About a mile down the little driveway like road in Akumal is Half Moon Bay, another public beach. You can probably park somewhere along the road. Half Moon Bay is not swimmer friendly - lots of rocks, sea urchins, seaweed, etc. However it's a good snorkeling spot. Drive a little further on this same little road and you will eventually come to the end, where Ya-Kul lagoon is located. This is a privately owned snorkeling spot, where the admission is about $12. This is a very child friendly sheltered lagoon with lots of fish, but no turtles.
Old Feb 20th, 2015, 10:16 AM
RAC

Yal-Ku is an excellent place for snorkeling. Akumal bay offers turtles but you're lucky if you see anything else (though we did see a ray there). We stayed on Half Moon bay and can vouch for it being rocky and a pain when it's really windy. But, there's stuff there (we saw a ray from our balcony).

Puerto Morelos is good snorkeling, $25/person or so for a boat to take you out there.

You can also snorkel the cenotes at Dos Ojos, which is a very cool experience.
Old Feb 20th, 2015, 12:03 PM

On Isla, Garrafon Park is the pricey one, but not sure about it being government run, Garrafon de Castillo is the cheaper option right next door, same waters.
There are a couple of parking lots in Akumal, one just outside the arches at the entrance (50 pesos) and one inside to the left, near Turtle Bay Cafe and Cueva del Pescador restaurants, think this one is also 50 pesos (my friend was driving). We have always seen plenty of fish, rays, turtles, etc. but you need to get there by 9am as the snorkel tourons start arriving about 10am. Half Moon Bay you need water shoes, last two trips in early May it was too windy for me but hear the snorkeling is good. Have fun.