Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   Opinions on this excursion to Machu Picchu? (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/opinions-on-this-excursion-to-machu-picchu-557773/)

petlover Sep 11th, 2005 03:50 PM

Opinions on this excursion to Machu Picchu?

We will be cruising around South America this year. There is a 2 night excursion offered to Machu Picchu (includes Cuzco) and the Hiram Bingham Orient Express. (don't know hotel yet). Would you recommend this?

If we don't take this excursion than we overnight in Callao and visit Lima (sleeping on the ship). From what I've been reading, Lima doesn't sound appealing at all unless you're into museums (which we are not). I appreciate opinions or suggestions as we've never been to South America before. Thanks!

Jed Sep 12th, 2005 07:25 AM

Grab the MP trip. We thought MP was thrilling and a privilege to see. ((Y))

Don't know about the HBOE.

Indeed, Lima is excellent for museums.

ONZGO Sep 12th, 2005 03:51 PM

We haven't been to Peru for over 25 years, but I know from my experience at that time I would take Machu Picchu over Lima. It is sort of a once in a lifetime thing and a wonder to see and if you are not into museums I don't think you would find Lima too interesting. Of course my information of Lima is very old.

mimipam Sep 12th, 2005 04:15 PM

another vote for Machu Picchu and Cuzco--we recently returned from MP and stayed in the Monesterio in Cuzco and at the lodge at MP (both are orient express properties). A really great trip. train ride is good also

cmcfong Sep 12th, 2005 04:28 PM

MP, for sure. It is a marvel being damaged by tourists. See it now.

petlover Sep 13th, 2005 06:30 AM

Thank you all!

fluffnfold Sep 13th, 2005 11:14 AM

I just returned at the end of August from Peru, including Lima, Cusco, and Machu Picchu. Definitely take the Machu Picchu trip! The Hiram Bingham train looked really luxurious sitting in the station. We took the Vistadome train on Peru Rail instead because the HB didn't run on Sundays, and that was the only night that we could get a reservation at the Sanctuary Lodge. The Orient-Express hotels in Peru are beautiful. You might be staying at the Machu Picchu Sanctuary Lodge if the trip is organized by Orient-Express, although it only has 33 rooms and is often booked a year in advance. The only other hotel of that quality is down the hill in Aguas Calientes and is called the Machu Picchu Pueblo Hotel. It is larger than the MPSL, and many people say they like it better except for the fact that it isn't right onsite at the ruins. On second thought, you will probably do a day trip to MP on the HB. I think it leaves Cusco about 9:00 am and returns about 9:00 pm. In that case, you might be staying at the Orient-Express hotel in Cusco called the Monasterio, which someone mentioned previously. We stayed there, too, and it was fabulous. Orient-Express is really pricey, though, as I'm sure you are aware. The HB train was $421 per person (that included 2 meals and admission to the ruins), 1 night at the MPSL was $567 (although that included 3 meals per person), and the Monasterio was $385 per night. Still, it is an experience that you will never forget and will be worth the money (which must be running you about $600 per person for train and hotel). As for Lima, I liked it more than I thought I would (I had heard the horror stories, too), but we didn't do any museums there (we ARE museum people, but are primarily interested in French Impressionist art which wasn't found there). There's no contest, however. Lima is like any big city anywhere in the world, while Cusco and MP are from another era. You can check out the www.orient-express.com or www.perurail.com websites for more information on the hotels and trains.