Only Euros or Pesos in Mexico

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26th, 2005, 11:57 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is it o.k if I only take a few Euros and get Pesos from the ATM in Mexico? Many places only post prices in USD in Mexico. Should I better get USD travellers cheques or USD in cash or will Pesos do everywhere? They are the official currency anyway?
Old Apr 26th, 2005, 12:30 PM

Where are you going? Most resort areas accept USD.
Old Apr 26th, 2005, 12:45 PM
Original Poster

I will be going to Isla Mujeres, will it be o.k. if I only have Pesos? I wont have any USD, so should take some (cash or cheques) or totally rely on Pesos from the ATM?
Thanks
Old Apr 26th, 2005, 12:52 PM

I do believe you would have a hard time getting anyone to take Euro's (though I could be mistaken.) It would be much more reliable to use an ATM, with perhaps a credit card as back up.
Perhaps you could change a few Euros for Pesos at your airport before you depart, so you will have a few when you land.
Old Apr 26th, 2005, 12:55 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Yes. Use an ATM and get peso. No need for U.S. cash or travelers checks.

You could also carry some euro (I know in PV the casa de cambio will change them, not sure about Isla since it's a much smaller spot).
Old Apr 26th, 2005, 01:25 PM
Original Poster

Thanks suze, so it will be pesos only. Does it make any sense to go shopping in Cancun compared to European prices? Clothing, shoes etc. I get a "decent" pair of shoes at about 100 Euros here in Munich. Is it worth looking for some in Cancun or is it just rubbish?
Old Apr 26th, 2005, 02:07 PM

You can change Euros at any casa de cambio. Bring some to exchange for pesos when you get there then use ATM's. This will get you the best exchange. Travler's checks the worst.
Old Apr 26th, 2005, 03:17 PM

I've never spent time in Cancun, but basically it is a Vegas-style mega-resort area as I understand it. I can't imagine clothes or shoes would be a bargain.

Old Apr 30th, 2005, 06:39 AM

will Pesos do everywhere? someone asked. Yes, of course. It is the national currency. Changng money at the banks can be a long and arduous task. Look around the Casas de Cambio. You can get a fair rate. If you use USD in restaurants and hotels, they generaly have a terrible rate of exchange. I take cash along, change at money exchanges, generally about $100 at a time. Works out well. Don't leave cash in your hotel room unless you have an in-room safe. If not, use hotel desk safe.

Anyone anyplace will take dollars--it is the "gold standard" in Mexico, but you are at the mercy of their idea of a fair exchange rate for just paying restaurant bills, etc.

I carry a bunch of US 1's for tips. they are handy.
Old May 1st, 2005, 11:16 AM

Cancun is in MEXICO, and the currency is PESO, not dollar, not euro... PESO, if you can get Pesos from an ATM that's the best you can do, and also is good to learn a little about the country you are visiting, like what's the language or CURRENCY!

Have a nice trip!
Old May 3rd, 2005, 08:25 PM

To answer your shopping question -- you won't find any bargains in Cancun as good as you will find in Germany. Prices are high (tourist prices) on quality items. You can find good prices on nice silver jewelry, pottery, woven and leather goods, but NOT in the tourist zone. You will have a difficult time finding clothes that are not stamped with "Cancun" on it somewhere!
Old May 4th, 2005, 05:01 AM

There's this shopping center called "La Isla", right in the hotel zone. If, for instance, you like Zara in Germany, prices will be slightly lower. Cancun is a tax free zone, so you may find good values in things like perfumes, jewelery and liquor. Prices may be comparable to the airport duty free, except that they have a better selection and, as a shopper, you have more time to look around.
Old May 8th, 2005, 09:10 AM

NEVER EVER change your money at the airport unless you just have too much money and have a need to waste some. ATM's are every where and casa de cambios usually give a good exchange rate if you have cash.
Old May 8th, 2005, 09:14 AM

That is simply not true everywhere. In Puerto Vallarta one of the very best rates of exchange is at the airport.
Old May 8th, 2005, 11:07 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your replies. I just returned from Isla Mujeres and it was a great trip. Changing Euros was no problem at all. Even though most hotels on the net only quoted their prices in Dollars mine charged pesos (as they should). The hotel zone is a true nightmare, but it was funny to see that 90 % of all visitors never go downtown or even to Isla Mujeres. They just stay in their hotel. Perfect for the rest of us

Prices were rather high even downtown, which I didnt expect. Higher than what I would have paid in Munich anyway. Liquor is extremely expensive even duty free, but this of course compared to the European price level. I have been to Plaza Las Americas and to Wal-Mart downtown.
I will come back to Isla M. It was a very nice place.