Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   One day in San Jose (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/one-day-in-san-jose-835101/)

doryyoung Apr 10th, 2010 01:59 PM

One day in San Jose

Hi All! Our flight back to the states leaves at 7 am on 9/13. I figured to be safe we would fly from Quepos to SJ on 9/12 and spend the night somewhere close to the airport-should I stay in MA as late as possible and take the last flight out at 3:00 or should we take the earliest flight (I think it's early am) and spend time doing something in or around SJ? Any suggestions would be appreciated.......also, does anyone know a good affordable hotel close to the airport..I can't find any in my guide book!

volcanogirl Apr 11th, 2010 02:44 AM

The Doka Coffee Estate tour is nice.

Jim_Boo Apr 11th, 2010 07:35 AM

In San Jose you could visit the central market or some of the museums. To get to one of the volcanoes might be a bit late already. In case you plan to go out at night I recommend to stay in San Jose and not Alajuela. There are concerts every day of the week, for example at the Jazz Cafe or at the El Observatorio. Or maybe you find something on www.whereincostarcia.com

Jim_Boo Apr 11th, 2010 07:37 AM

Sorry, I ment www.whereincostarica.com

Cattail Apr 11th, 2010 08:11 AM

I might choose the Orchideas Inn in Alajuela. The cheapest rooms aren't great, but you can do the Doka coffee or other tour using their tour desk, and it's closer to the airport than San Jose. Nice pool area, grounds to explore, and bar area. Great breakfast, but you might be up to late for it.Excellent restaurant, friendly. Very relaxing spot to spend a last day IMO!

hipvirgochick Apr 11th, 2010 09:54 AM

Unless you want to be in the City I like Orquideas as it's a good place to chill last night and to visit Poas, Doka, La Paz Waterfalls. Hotel Villa Bonita is a great and affordable B & B near SJO as well. In the city Don Carlos is in a good location and I'm trying Casa 69 next trip which looks great!

volcanogirl Apr 11th, 2010 02:09 PM

Grano de Oro is another nice city hotel - great restaurant on site too.

doryyoung Apr 11th, 2010 04:02 PM

Thanks again..you are all so great!

Deb15July Apr 12th, 2010 05:27 PM

Hola...I'm not at all qualified to answer this question from an experienced position, but I've definitely formed some opinions from my research.

This is a very closed knit Forum, but since I have no experience, I have some different views to present.

We have two nights to spend in SJ. One in the middle of our trip, prior to our flight to Osa, and another on our last night in CR prior to our departure. Since we've never been to CR, we chose two different places to stay so we would have more experience in case we decide to return.

We will stay one night at the Alegria B&B which is quite small and in a neighborhood outside of SJ. I don't know how many people you need to accomodate, so it might not work.

The night before our return to the US, we will be staying at the Casa Bella Rita. They provide transportation to the airport and will provide dinner (at an extra cost) if needed with advance notice. Both are highly rated on Trip Advisor.

volcanogirl Apr 12th, 2010 06:53 PM

Casa Bella Rita does get mentions on this board - always good.

CRTravelerMagazine Apr 13th, 2010 12:12 PM

If you only have one day in San Jose, try this walking tour. It takes you past the main attractions and museums.
http://www.costaricatraveler.com/eng...cle.php?id=262

hipvirgochick Apr 13th, 2010 12:17 PM

Deb -- I wanted to stay at Casa Bella Rita as well this trip...but it looks like they don't have any rooms with two beds, which we need. Let me know if I'm wrong here. I like to stay at two different hotels also (always have to stay 1st and last due to flight times) and usually go for one near SJO and one in the city. I think you're on the right track looking for a variety. :-)

Deb15July Apr 13th, 2010 04:35 PM

vg,
You are right. I do see Casa mentioned sometimes, but not as much as some of the others. I would love to try Xandari and Peace Lodge, but not this trip. Xandari is a little pricey for just a one night stop. I originally wanted to try Peace Lodge, but changed my mind when I found out that some of the falls are still closed and the logistics between there and Arenal are less than perfect since the recent earthquake.

Hip,
Maybe they don't have this room available, but you might want to check it out. They do charge $20 per person over 2 and the rate doesn't include tax. This is from their website.

Canopy Room is located on the third level of the main house with amazing views of the Santa Ana hills and our beloved canyon. The bathroom features a double sink, accenting the custom tiled bathroom. The sitting area, accenting the main bedroom of Canopy, features a full size bed neatly tucked in the corner making Canopy Room perfect for 2-4 people. Canopy Room is perfect for your honeymoon night or a family of four.

(K) $139.00 H / $129.00 L

volcanogirl Apr 13th, 2010 06:17 PM

Deb, Xandari offers specials sometimes; they sent me an e-mail advertising 25% off - agree that it's pricey, and the Peace Lodge is pretty painful too. I hope to try Casa Bella Rita one day too. We usually travel during green season, and you can get some good discounts that way.

doryyoung Apr 14th, 2010 02:27 PM

Thanks everyone-I will check out all the new places mentioned-maybe since Im going in the "off" season I can get into Casa Bella Rita.

hipvirgochick Apr 14th, 2010 02:33 PM

Thanks Deb! I didn't see that room. It looks great!