Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   One and Only Palmillas under construction, would u stay anyway? (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/one-and-only-palmillas-under-construction-would-u-stay-anyway-341434/)

mcwedding Apr 11th, 2008 09:44 AM

One and Only Palmillas under construction, would u stay anyway?

They are offering 30% off your stay of a minimum of 3 nights because of the construction, however, the infinity pool will be closed for renovations, leaving only the family pool, and the Breeze resteraunt will be closed as well. I will be staying on the north side of the resort and renovations would be on the south side. I was assured that construction noise would be minimal but am worried that the swim up pool bar and area is a highlight of the hotel and that we will be missing the best part. Any thoughts? Is it worth it to go at this time bc of the discount or should we try somewhere else like Ventannas or esperanza even though will be paying more?

Little_Man Apr 11th, 2008 11:27 AM

I wouldn't because it seems like a fairly small property anyways...and I thought both Esperanza and LaBs Ventanas were more appealing. But to be fair, I haven't stayed justed visited all 3.

jbass Apr 11th, 2008 12:13 PM

Are we talking Cabo?

The resort is pretty spectacular. But I would have concerns about "seeing construction". Quite honestly, one of the LAST things I want to see on vacation is a crane; or and other piece of construction equipment; and when is a good time of day to do repairs and renovation--Never.

What time of year are you going? If it's summer; perhaps 30% of the rate is standard.

I'd save it for when everything was back to normal. IMHO. :)

oaxaca60 Apr 11th, 2008 12:14 PM

It reminds me of the commercial where everytime the guy opens his mouth the jackhammer goes off. I would stay someplace else.

We were staying at the Pacifica and they were building some kind of giant wind screen and they were constantly pounding on the metal frame until Mr. cool guy at the pool lost it and threw a fit at the manager. The noise stopped, thank God.

Having said that, they do have to build and in Mexico it's a constant ongoing progect, similar to outside my office.

StanKase Apr 11th, 2008 02:23 PM

I would pass. It is "heaven" when all is well but some guests have to be near the pool for we saw the infinity pool from our room.

TandIB Jul 28th, 2008 06:12 PM

We are in the same boat. Where did you end up staying. We are leaning toward LV but cannot decide. I'd love to hear your feedback on wherever you stayed.

Ike Jul 29th, 2008 10:13 AM

I posted this response to someone today that wanted to have their honeymoon at O&O. My wife and I are going to O&O in 3 weeks for our 4th trip. I plan to go every year as long as I can. O&O has a Summertime Breaks program every summer during the low season at 30% discount. It has nothing to do with the construction. I talked to the front desk several times before I made this reservation and I am positive the renovations will not affect our stay. The adult pool and informal restaurant near the lobby will be closed.

my wife and I have been to O&O 3 times and we are returning for the 4th on August 16th for our 25th wedding anniversary. Please take my word and have your honeymoon at O&O. If you did not already know it Eli Manning was married there in April. And if you didn't know it Eli was the Super Bowl MVP in the Giant's win over NE this past January. Eli's Dad and I went to college at Ole Miss and we have been friends a long time. O&O is one of the finest resorts I have ever been to period and I have been to Ritz Carlton @ St. Thomas, Cancun, Jamaica, Laguna Beach, CA, Naples, FL, Amelia Island, FL and Half Moon Bay, CA. I have been to One and Only Ocean Club, Little Dix Bay, Caneel Bay and Cap Juluca in the Caribbean. I went to the Four Seasons at Costa Rica also but O&O Palmilla is the best. It was built about 70 years ago and purchased by O&O about 10 years ago. They spent over $100 million refurbishing the property. It's now on my travel agenda for an annual visit each year.

There is some renovation going on now but it's on the south end of the property. The rooms there are being refurbishing and there is no evidence of construction going on that would disturb your honeymoon. The adults pool at the entrance to the property directly in front of the lobby is closed as well as the bar and casual restaurant there but Agua & C are both open along with the infinity pool next to Agua. Here's a email contact for you to ask any questions.

[email protected]

Ofelia has been very helpful to me over the years. I had dinner @ Esperanza once. I enjoyed dining outside overlooking the ocean but the property has absolutely no foliage or shade anywhere. It's almost like the desert. I spent 3 nights at LV. It is a very nice resort but again there is little foliage. O&O has huge palm trees and shade on the property and especially around the two pools. The spa is outstanding according to my wife. O&O was rated # 13 and LV # 12 with scores of 86 points by Travel and Leisure this month. Don't let the construction project which is more room renovation than anything else change your mind. I will write back after my 6 day trip to O&O the end of August.

Here's a recent Trip Advisor review mentioning the renovations.

Heaven is located 1000 miles south of San Diego!”
One&Only Palmilla

MsHotel
Princeton, NJJul 20, 2008

This is truely a one of a kind hotel! From the minute we arrived we were treated like kings! We only had four days at the hotel but it was by far the best hotel experience we have ever had. My husband and I travel to 85 hotels a year, so we have seen and heard it all. Nothing could have prepared us for One and Only Palmilla. Upon entering the resort you are greeted with the hotels signature style. Everyone you pass,places their right hand over their heart and with a gentle bow offers a "heart-felt" welcome, everyone, everywhere in the resort greets you this way! We stayed in a Beachfront Villa over looking the infinity pools and Sea of Cortez., #1521 with a personal butler, Carlos who made us feel like family. The gounds are breath taking, covered with beautiful trees and lavish lanscapes. We were told some things were closed for renivations but we did not not notice. Our room was not ready when we arrived @ 1pm but we were given a beautiful "hospitality suite" to relax and unwind in while we waited. There was fresh fruits and drinks, beautiful terrace with a day bed. With in an hour we were brought to our Villa and the "over the top" service really began! At the pool you are greeted with warmth and sencerity, given freah towels, water, chilled eye masks, refreshing body spray... Anything you want!!! Every evening we would return to our room to find treats and gifts, different ones each night! We spent one day visiting other hotels... The is no other!! This is truely"The One & Only" Don't miss it !!!