Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

October 2006 honeymoon - el careyes, el tamarindo, la casa que canta, or villa del sol ?

October 2006 honeymoon - el careyes, el tamarindo, la casa que canta, or villa del sol ?

Old Nov 21st, 2005, 05:39 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is my first time posting a question and can't wait to hear your responses. My fiance and I are planning our honeymoon for October 2006...and need some help.

Background - we live in nyc area and wanted to go to french polynesia/south pacific islands but can't afford it. We considered costa rica...we've been there before and absolutely loved it...but are worried about rainy weather and wanted to explore a new place. Which brings us to the pacific coast of mexico...carribean coast is too risky with hurricane season. I have heard a lot of great things from fodorites about the pacific coast so we are really excited, but overwhelmed with info and very indecisive!

We love nature (animals, rain forests, waterfalls, marine life, beaches) and like to feel like we are in nature (open air bungalows and open air showers/bathrooms a must)...but also want privacy. On the other hand, we also love luxury (private plunge pool/jacuzzi), and are somewhat high maintenance (clean food establishments, purified water, nice bathroom).

"Wish list" - We want to enjoy good snorkling, see dolphins, relax on a private (not-crowded) beach, lay by the pool, explore rain forests (esp. waterfalls and wildlife), go horseback riding, have privacy, access to good restaurants, and wander through local towns/villages (tourists are okay but not too touristy). Once again, we loved Costa Rica which had all of this.

Needless to say...we have about 10 days and ideally would like to stay at 2 different beach locations. We are trying to choose 2 from the following: El Careyes, El Tamarindo, La Casa Que Canta, and Villa Del Sol. They all sound and look wonderful, but have some differences...so we are hoping that by choosing 2 of them, we will be able to satisfy everything on our "wish list."

Also...is the Puerto Vallarta area worth seeing? It sounds great, but I know it is a distance from these locations. Everything there seems more hotel-like and very touristy. Will we miss anything by not going? If we do go on a road trip there, what should we not miss? Will we be able to do every thing on our "wish list" in the areas we are going...or would we need to go to PV for certain things?

Sorry this is so long...but I had a lot to get out. Please share your opinions from personal experiences. Thank you so much!
Old Nov 21st, 2005, 06:04 AM
Original Poster

Sorry - I don't know if my main question is really clear. Please let me know which two places combined would best suit our needs and satisfy our "wish List"? Please also respond to the PV questions if you can. One more thing...it sounds like the weather should be fine at that time...but please let me know if I am wrong. Thanks again!
Old Nov 21st, 2005, 07:49 AM

I have been to all 4 places you mentioned. I'd do El Tamarindo (having been to the South Pacific also this is as close as it gets without going there!) and Casa Que Canta. We just went to El Careyes again last month, still love it but for the open-air, private pool tropical feel definiatly Tamarindo! PV is worth seeing but may be hard to combine with your itinerary. None of this is Costa Rica so if that is what you are looking for, perhaps you should return there. But it is not as buggy or humid! Anyway, hope this helps. I loved Villa Del Sol also but not as private as the others.
Old Nov 21st, 2005, 11:25 AM

just wanted to throw out the FS Punta Mita as another suggestion. It's in a very pretty spot, with a very tropical feel.
Haven't been to the others, but from what I've looked at, El Tamarindo looks really great.
Old Nov 21st, 2005, 02:50 PM
Original Poster

It's me again. Thanks so much for the responses so far. I checked out FS Punta Mita...is it as nature-like as the others...or more hotel-like? If anyone has any other suggestions for places I have not mentioned...I would love to hear them. Thanks so much!
Old Nov 21st, 2005, 03:10 PM

The 4Seasons is a very spread out property with gorgeous tropical landscaping, beautiful beach. It's hotel rooms may not be as outdoors like, but the main restaurant is under a big palapa, the lobby is open air.
Great Service, and closer to the town of Puerto Vallarta.
Old Nov 22nd, 2005, 04:40 AM

Regarding the FS Punta Mita which is my favorite resort -- if you are seeking a great resort vacation with gorgeous grounds, incredible service, a wonderful/tropical/open air feel then you really should consider it. However, given your list of requirements, I feel it might not quite fit the bill as there is not much to do close by and the snorkeling is not great. And the service and pampering is so great we really didn't feel much like leaving the resort and doing the long trek into Puerta Vallarta (we did, but didn't feel the trip was worth it). I love the Pacific Coast of Mexico for its friendly people, beautiful scenery, etc. etc. The suggestion of El Tamarindo and La Casa Que Canta is a good one -- two very different experiences but sounds more like what you are looking for. But if you have the opportunity sometime, definitely go to FS Punta Mita!
Old Nov 22nd, 2005, 06:23 AM

Also, though I am sure it's not a daily occurence, but we saw dolphins in the cove like beach at Tamarindo 2 times we were there. Once we were snorkeling & once kayaking. For food you are pretty much a captive audience but it is good or close enough to drive to Melaque, a small seaside town, for fresh caught snapper. From PV they do have all the jungle & zip line tours but location wise you'd be getting a bit spread out.
Old Nov 22nd, 2005, 09:43 AM

mishi,

We are going to Majahuitas Resort for the first time in February. It is south of PV and is accessible only by boat. It might be too "rustic" for what you are looking for, but it might be worth checking into as well.

-Bill
Old Nov 24th, 2005, 11:27 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for all of your responses. However, I am now having second thoughts about Mexico because of another thread I read about stomach problems when visiting Mexico. I apparently fall into all of the categories that make a person more susceptible to getting sick in Mexico and don't know if I want to risk it on my honeymoon. I would obviously be careful, but you never know. Does anyone have any suggestions about other good honeymoon destinations in October. The weather seems very iffy in most areas at this time...so we are really stuck. Any thoughts are welcome! Thanks!
Old Nov 26th, 2005, 07:50 AM

First the chances of getting sick at one of the Costa Alegre hotels is about 0. In Careyes you can drink from the tap and I have never known of anyone getting sick.
I think Peggy's recommendation of El Tamarindo is a good one although I wouldn't rule out Las Alamandas. You wouldn't get a splash pool but you will get wonderful charm, privacy and service.
Instead of doing two beach destinations, consider either El Tamarindo or Las Alamandas then the second half up the mountain at Hacienda de San Antonio, an historic hacienda, now a 22 suite hotel at the base of an active volcano. Its in a large nature reserve and like Las Alamandas and El Tamarindo, the hotel offers various eco adventures so that you can experience the landscape and the wildlife. Nearby are some very interesting small colonial towns, off the beaten track of the typical tourist.
Based on your interests I would say skip PV.
Old Nov 28th, 2005, 10:17 AM

I concur with wayfinding, it would be so hard to get sick at the establishments listed. Bur t anything can happen...I got a cold from a very inconsiderate on the airplane on the way to Mexico!! Thank goodness there is a clinic & English speaking doctor 5 minutes from El Careyes. Anyway, you should do what makes you comfortable.
Old Nov 28th, 2005, 12:44 PM

Peggy, so sorry to hear your last trip was marred by a cold.
Did you see the new night club retaurant they are building on Playa Careyeitos, it will be a nice addition to the hotel.
You know the fabulous cliff top villa that is to your left when you are on the El Careyes beach, its currently for sale for $12m.
Old Nov 29th, 2005, 06:21 AM
Original Poster

Well after getting reassurance from replies and talking to others who have traveled there...I think we are back on for Mexico...I am just going to be careful...any advice about this is appreciated...thanks everyone!
Which location has better beaches/ocean for snorkeling?
Do any of these resorts have outdoor/open-air showers/bathrooms?...we love these!
At El Tamarindo...which type of bungalow do you recommend? I can't decide after looking at all of the pics and descriptions. I have starwood points I'll be using...does this help with free upgrades, etc?
At Casa que canta...we would want a private pool suite. Are there any in particular that are better than others?
I'm sure I will come up with more questions...but thanks in advance for your responses!
Old Nov 29th, 2005, 06:44 AM
Original Poster

Sorry...one more question! Are there any other comparable places to stay in other locations not yet mentioned?
Old Nov 29th, 2005, 09:10 AM

I think you've made great choices!
Also, look up Verana close to Puerto Vallarta.
Only other place I can think of is Ikal del Mar, but that's on the Carribean...
El Tamarindo really does sound like it fits your qualifications to a T. (unfortunately, I haven't been there, so can't help w/ room choice, but look up El Tamarindo in the search box for more help.)
Old Nov 29th, 2005, 12:11 PM

I am throwing my hat into your ring for Casa Las Brisas in Punta Mita. Perfect for a honeymoon, it is small and intimate and the food is incredible. Not hotel like at all, but more like staying in your own private villa with a private beach. And the showers are to die for: www.casalasbrisas.com
Old Dec 9th, 2005, 06:04 PM
Original Poster

Okay Snealfleeba...I'm listening...tell me more about Casa Las Brisas...it looks great. Do the rooms and bathrooms have an open air feeling? There are not a lot of pics on their website...any where else to look with more pics and descriptions? We are now considering staying at Casa Brisas and Tamarindo. We are dying to stay at Casa que Canta too but think it might be to far away.
Old Dec 10th, 2005, 05:45 PM
Original Poster

We are now worried that LCQC and Tamarindo may be too far apart from each other...but are dying to go to both. Based on my original post and what we are looking for...does anyone have any thoughts about which resort we should choose if we had to choose between these two places? And...does anyone have any other suggestions about similar small luxury resorts that we could combine with either Tamarindo and LCQC...closer in distance to one or the other? I posted a similar question on another post of mine...sorry for the repetition but can't decide...and no matter how much research I do...I still need help! Thanks!