Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Occidental Royal Hideaway (Playa Del Carmen) or Occidental Grand (Cozumel) for work incentive trip? Help!!!

Occidental Royal Hideaway (Playa Del Carmen) or Occidental Grand (Cozumel) for work incentive trip? Help!!!

Jun 15th, 2003, 07:41 AM
Original Poster

We are trying to plan a work incentive trip for a group of people (approximately 13 couples). We are looking for a resort preferably right on the beach with lots of amenities, someplace tropical with decent shopping. Also, we'd like to be able to have other excursions(IE: last year we went to Maui and did a snorkel trip, luau and a sunset sail). People will be traveling from all over the nation so it would be nice if we could get there fairly easy. Since we're trying to address different interests, (IE: some like to snorkel and dive while others would rather shop and sunbathe) and provide plenty to do, we really need some help! We were considering Occidental Royal Hideaway in Playa del Carmen or Occidental Grand Cozumel. Anyone been to either of these resorts? Will the area and resort fill our needs? Which would you recommend?
Jun 15th, 2003, 12:17 PM

The Royal Hideaway is very low-key - the majority of guests are on their honeymoon or anniversary. There are a few activities around the pool during the day, but when I was there, most people didn't bother participating. Also, there's virtually no night life at the RH - if that's something that matters to your group, you might want to look at some other resorts.
Jun 15th, 2003, 12:55 PM
Original Poster

Is there nightlife within driving distance to the Royal Hideaway?
Jun 16th, 2003, 10:55 AM

Yes there is. Royal Hideaway is about a 15 minute walk to the town of Playa del Carmen. There are bars and a few night clubs in this town. I would stay at the Royal Hideaway as my first choice. Cozumel is nice but the beaches are much better in Playa Del Carmen. You can take a ferry from Playa to Cozumel for about $12 dollars reoundtrip and check it our for the day. If you have any questions you can e-mail me at [email protected].
Happy Travels,
jill
Jun 16th, 2003, 05:10 PM
TC

Did not stay at, but visited the brand new OC Grand in Cozumel last Feb. Beautiful grounds and common buildings. Elegant looking restaurants - three or four. A very nice small conference room. Accommodations are in small buildings scattered around the site. They are three stories tall with no elevators - open atrium center courts. Rooms are very nice - not luxurious, but quite nice. Very small balconies - nothing to see. A walk to the beach and large common pool. Very nice looking open air restaurant there. Not good snorkeling from this beach, but very pretty beach. Lots of planned activies. Small spa on site and a children's program, if that matters. OCG is about 15 min. taxi ride from the town of San Miguel. Lots to do there.

I prefer Cozumel over Playa for the snorkeling and diving. OCG is brand new and quite beautiful. Would be very impressive for an incentive trip. They also sounded ready to wheel and deal on pricing when I was there, so you might get a good break. Ask for upgrades to premier rooms or transportation to town every night.

I took a few digital photos. If that would help, I can email them to you.
Jun 24th, 2003, 12:35 PM
Original Poster

I think our group is leaning towards the Adventura Palace in Playa Del Carmen. Anyone been there?
Jun 24th, 2003, 12:51 PM

Hi TC! I am actually thinking of going to OC this late August. Never been to Mexico, so kind of nervous. However, in looking through Expedia, they quoted us a good price for $944RT pp from NYC. I would love to see pictures. Would you be able to e-mail them to me at
[email protected] Thanks so much!!
Jun 30th, 2003, 04:08 AM

parkcitygal, My company takes 40 couples every year on an incentive trip. 2 years ago we stayed at the Royal Hideaway. My customers were "blown away", it is very luxurious, tremendous "WOW" factor upon arrival and the rooms are lovely. I would agree that the Hideaway has no nightlfe, but for those of us looking for some fun the 5 minute cab ride to the town of Playa del Carmen was super easy and i loved the "Charm" of the town. we are looking at the Presidente Intercontinental on Cozumel for our 2005 trip, the rooms there are much closer to the beach than the new Occidental Grand.
Jul 1st, 2003, 10:26 AM
TC

Castillo25, Tried to email photos to you, but address doesn't work. Please contact me with a good email address at [email protected]

TC
Jul 8th, 2003, 03:50 PM

I suggest the Mayan Palace located fifteen minutes away from Playa del Carmen. It is a 5 STAR resort that has great amenities including scuba, pools, great restaurants, beautiful beach front. I source vacation resorts for members of travel clubs and have some extra availabilty at the Mayan Palace. If you are interested in booking at this resort I can offer you a wholesale deal.

Check it out first http://www.mayanpalace.com/ and if this resort suits your needs contact me at [email protected]