Occidental Grand Flamenco Xcaret

Oct 5th, 2002, 08:00 PM
Marion

Occidental Grand Flamenco Xcaret

Have a reservation here for Xmas. Just read that the beach is man made! Thought the beaches in this area are wonderful so why would they have to make one!? If anyone has stayed at this hotel would appreciate their comments.

Oct 6th, 2002, 07:12 AM
Monica

I just got back from that area and sat next to someone on the plane that stayed there. She was very diappointed because she said there wasn't any beach. Depending on where its built, not all areas have much of a beach and thus some have sand brought in. Not sure if this will improve at the Occidental.

Jan 8th, 2003, 05:18 PM
Lisa

Marion,
I have reservations there and am leaving this coming Saturday. Can you tell me anything else about the resort that would be helpful to know? Thanks!

Jan 9th, 2003, 06:07 PM
Leslie

For anyone planning or thinking about going to this resort, let this be a warning. SAVE YOUR MONEY!!!! My husband and visited Flamenco Occidental Xcaret this past September. This was a belated honeymoon for us and let me tell you, we won't forget it. I would have had a better time in a refrigerator box than staying at this place. Though the grounds were pretty, it wasn't pretty enough for us to stay there again, ever. Yes, there is a man made beach. You can't swim in the actual gulf cause of all the coral reef. The food sucked, the service was even worse. I would not recommend using FunJet for anything cause they were very UNhelpful during our stay as well as after. We were there 4 nites/5 days. It was one day to long. If anyone would like more elaborate details, I would be more than happy to email.

My husband and I have been unsuccessful in getting any compensation in return for troubles there. No one from the travel agency, FunJet or Occidental.

Jan 10th, 2003, 03:55 AM
aaa

I guess I don't quite understand what compensation you are looking for. You need to always do your homework before choosing a property. You didn't know there wasn't a beach before booking? Just because you didn't like it doesn't justify a refund.

Jan 19th, 2003, 03:32 PM
lgw

I guess I didn't make myself very clear. We didn't go for the beach. We were going to Occidental for a honeymoon. This was a place that our travel agent had been to and raved about. It was brand new and alot of what the people at the resort told our travel agent was not true. I don't have to have a beach. Give me sun and a beach chair and I am happy.

Let me just give you and example. This place was a big as a football field. People working on the property were driving guest around in carts. It was about 90 degrees and we had to walk to our room. We got sent to one side of the property when our room was actually on the totally other side. When we got to our room, the key didn't work and housekeeping had to let us in. The door was opened only to find that our room wasn't even ready. They were only going to change the sheets, give us fresh towels and told us that was going to be our room. No cleaning or anything. This is how our trip started. We got to the resort early enough that we could go walk around and spend some time at the pool only to be spending 4 hours getting our keys and a new room. It only got worse from their. So you can't sit here and tell me after you have spent half your day getting to your destination, spending 4 hours out of you vacation trying to get things straight, and spending $2000 for crappy service that you would be raving about the place either.

Jan 20th, 2003, 12:00 PM
JOSE

ANYONE WITH A NAME LIKE "JEEPGRL" HAS TO BE A BIT ODD ANYWAY DON'T YOU THINK. DO YOU LOOK LIKE A BIG OLD JEEP, BIG TIRES AND FLOPPY TOP??? HUH? DO YOU?

Jan 21st, 2003, 05:29 AM
Me

I think the lesson to be learned here is travel aganets are not as well-informed as they may appear. Unless they have spent time at the place and had similar expectation, their knowledge is on the basis of brochures and promotions. First hand info is the best. This board has helped me tremendously over the years in choosing locations, hotels and activities for vacations in the US, MExico and Europe. Whatever any agent tells you should be cross referenced in guide books, on the internet and on these travel boards.

The only time I ever received 'compensation' for a vacation was when we had to spend 1 night in a shelter (the floor of a school gym) because of a hurricane and another day back at the hotel there were no services(due to no electricity, running water, etc). We were refunded 1 1/2 days rate at the hotel and it took months to be refunded. I don't think you will get any refunds because of a bad decision and bad service. You should have spoken to hotel management immediately. They may have made some special arrangements to try to improve your stay.

Search this Thread