Oaxaca trip soon: questions about the region

Old Jan 28th, 2020, 02:55 PM
Original Poster

Oaxaca trip soon: questions about the region

Hello all,

We will go to Oaxaca in mid-February for nine days. This will be our third visit to the city. We have visited many of the city attractions as well as Mitla and Monte Alban (twice). I have read practically all of the excellent Fodor trip reports of the last few years and have culled suggestions from them. Plus we have a friend who lives the winter in Oaxaca so we have a lot of information about the city.

My questions concern the surrounding region, the things you can visit within a drive of one hour or so. We love colonial architecture, especially the monasteries. Here are some of the places that seem very interesting and I would welcome your ideas and opinions about them:

---Cuilapan: big monastery southwest of the city.

---Yanhuitlan: said to be one of the finest colonial structures in Mexico, north of the city. From the map, seems like it to be combined with Coixtlahuaca and/or Teposcolula.

---San Agustin Etla: has a repurposed industrial building turned into an arts center, the Centro de Artes de San Agustin (CASA).

---Ocotlan and Zegache to the southwest.

I am casting a wide net here, trying to identify some good day trips. We have never stayed in one place, abroad, for nine days so we are hoping to find good things to do. (And we will, for sure, work on our checklist of awesome restaurants and little family cafes in the city itself.)

Many thanks in advance for your thoughts!

Old Jan 28th, 2020, 05:50 PM

I've been to Etla and Cuilapan. The former offers up some good picture taking. When we were there, which has been a few years, there wasn't much else going on for visitors to do, mostly just for the artists. But worth a look; it's been nicely restored. The convent of Cuilapan I found very interesting. It was kind of eerie, I thought. It's where Vicente Guerrero was executed. Some of the original frescoes are still intact and visible.
If you have a car, it might be worth a drive up 175 in the mountains. There are a number of cool restaurants along or just off the highway, including a couple that farm their own trout, although the latter are accessed via a rough dirt & rocky road.
Have you been to Hierve El Agua vía Xaaga? Very scenic.
And I wish I could remember where the church/convent scenes were filmed for Nacho Libre.

Last edited by baldone; Jan 28th, 2020 at 06:11 PM.
Old Jan 28th, 2020, 06:36 PM

If you have the time & the inclination do consider the group day or weekend trips & hikes with Hoofing it in Oaxaca. I went on 2 while spending a month in the city & recommend them highly. They provide transportation & a terrifically congenial group with which to enjoy the activities and, as volunteers, only charge their cost, extremely reasonable. Their website has dates & descriptions & you can sign up in advance, a good idea because they're understandably popular.

Hoofing It In Oaxaca | Weekly Hikes for Adventurous Folks