Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Oaxaca to the beach fro a day trip...feasible?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 27th, 2005, 02:41 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are in Oaxaca for a week, is it feasible to get a hire car and go to the beach for a day trip...just for something different?
Old May 27th, 2005, 04:35 AM

I'm assuming you mean someplace like Huatulco or Puerto Escondido. That would be several hours away from Oaxaca, through the mountains. There's no way you could make it a day trip. There are flights between the 2 places, but probably only 1 a day, so even flying wouldn't be practical unless you were willing to stay overnight.
Old May 27th, 2005, 08:55 AM

Marko, I'm just wondering - where all are you going to in North America? I've seen your posts for Mexico and your posts for BC - are you also going to the US? You'll be visiting all 3 countries in North America! How much time do you have?

Obviously these questions have nothing to do with your question - I'm just curious!
Old May 27th, 2005, 07:13 PM
Original Poster

Susan at this stage we will have nearly 4 weeks, fly into LA do the theme park thing (for the kids )(about 6 days) then fly to oaxaca for 6 nights(for Lisa and I) then to Mexico city for 2 nights the MC to Vancouver to Big White for a week ( for all of us) then two nights in Vancouver before flying home via Tokyo. We are good travellers
Old May 28th, 2005, 07:22 AM

As with Susan its way too far to the beach. 6-11 hours each way depending on class of bus service, time of day, and route taken. If you are travel animal you could take an overnight bus each way and have the whole day at the beach but the roads are winding and it is pretty grueling experience. If you want to spend the money you might look at setting something up with Aerotucan that flies out of Oaxaca. If you decide against the beach you will have plenty to do. Oaxaca City and the surrounding towns in the Oaxaca valley are varied and interesting. I have been traveling there for fifteen years and we still find plenty to do, including some new things.
Old May 28th, 2005, 06:11 PM
Original Poster

Thanks guys, if I don't ask questions I never get answers....so I ask lots of questions. Looks like we are going to book Las Bugambalias,looks like a very nice spot and everyone raves about the breakfast ! By the way is 350 pesos an hour for private guide and vehicle about right ?
Old May 29th, 2005, 05:32 AM

Maybe that's that the going rate, but it seems steep to me. We have not used a guide for anything for a long time, but it used to be much cheaper. My most recent experience was in 91. I had a group of 12 kids and we hired a van and a driver for the day who agreed to take us anywhere in the Oaxaca Valley to see whatever we wanted for up to 8 hours. He charged $100.00 U.S. I would check it out when you get there. Most taxis drivers are willing to provide this service. The first time we went years ago we cut a deal with a taxi driver we liked and spent the next two days having a great time with him showing us around. Back then it was under $10.00 an hour. I still think you can do it for less than $35.00 by checking around.
Old May 29th, 2005, 03:03 PM
Original Poster

Hi Dude, the price includes transport in a Suburban which will comfortably hold the five of us. If we have a 6 hour day one day and a 4 hour day the next ???? I only have a loose schedule in my mind at this stage !