Search

Oaxaca/Puerto Escondito

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12th, 2001, 02:43 PM
Heide

Oaxaca/Puerto Escondito

I am planning a vacation to Mexico in January. Oaxaca seems like a place I will enjoy, I am looking for archelolgy, cafes good vegitarian food and R&R. Does anyone have any hotel suggstions and if I go to the coast, has anyone stayed in Puerto Escondito, what's the beach like?

Old Oct 12th, 2001, 05:00 PM
Heide

I suppose I should learn to spell before I ask any questions......Archaeology & vegetarian..duh

Old Oct 12th, 2001, 08:16 PM
Carl Z

Oaxaca state has all kinds of interesting Archeological sites, a number within a days drive of Oaxaca City. <BR>There are a few Veggie Cafes in Oaxaca City although I must say that Mexcian vegetarian food is often distinctive for the number of things left out-that is to say it's often rather bland. <BR>Great Cheeses though. <BR>The City is a great place for walking and one of my all-time favourite places on this earth (!) <BR>The Zocalo-ahhhh! <BR>Puerto Escondido is a somewhat mixed bag a compact tourist town with a dirty town beach, rough surfing beach to the south and wild, wild beaches to the north. <BR>Never ever walk those beaches at night it's OK to fish in the lights of a Hotel as I have done many times but that's about it. <BR>PE has a resident population of rather rough Gringos, desperadoes is too strong a word but the place does have an unsavoury reputation. <BR>Try the Hotel San Fransisco for a character place with great food, or the Flor de Maria for more of the same.

Old Oct 13th, 2001, 07:17 AM
Susan

We visited both Oaxaca and Puerto Escondido a few years ago. I really liked both places, and we went back to P.E. the following year. I'd love to go back to Oaxaca again. <BR> <BR>We stayed at Flor de Maria in P.E. At the time it was owned by an Italian couple from Toronto, but it's been sold. I liked the hotel a lot - good location, the restaurant was terrific, rooms were pleasant.

Old Oct 13th, 2001, 09:06 PM
Escritora

Heide--I'm visitting Oaxaca in a few weeks with a group of amateur and professional archaeologists. I've got a ton of bookmarks--if those would be any help to you, let me know.

Old Oct 23rd, 2001, 02:29 PM
Carol

The Hotel Victoria in Oaxaca is very nice. It's on a hill overlooking the city, and has nice, reasonably priced accomodations ranging from jr. suites to bungalos.

Old Oct 24th, 2001, 02:08 PM
Dave

You can make days trips to to all sorts of archaeological sites from Oaxaca city. There are buses for Zachilla on C.M. Bustamente (street) for everywhere else you can get buses from 2nd class bus station. Virtually all the surrounding towns are quite interesting. The main archaeological sites are Monte Alban and Mitla. Teotilan de Valle is really interesting when you look at the church and see how it was built from and on top of a previous temple. Have fun. To go to PR take a first class bus. You can get tickets at American Express by the Zocalo. Most people think its safer than the buses out of the 2nd class terminal.