Notices

oaxaca food festival

Old Aug 27th, 2006, 06:57 AM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
oaxaca food festival

The planners in Oaxaca have cancelled this October's festival of the gods (food). Does anyone have any first hand knowledge of the situation. We still have our air seats and are considering going anyway. Without, the festival the "point" of the trip is somewhat lost. But, I can't help wonder how real the unrest is???? Should we just go another year???
Old Aug 28th, 2006, 11:20 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I can only relate my expereince in July. Having been there many times, I was not uncomfortable, but I think I would have been if I didn't know a lot of people there and it was the first time. The Zocalo and surrounding blocks had been taken over and barricaded by protesters to keep the police out. Donwtown was dirty, broken windows, spraypainted walls, and a general mess as thousands had been camping out for over a month (now much longer). Occasional roadblocks of protesters which caused various transportation to change routes. According to more recent reports the situation has gotten worse. Bus stations are sometimes blocked in by protesters and much of the local media have been taken over. A more unsavory element than the original protesters has become involved and made people not want to be out too much at night, at least according to friends in OAX. While there, I got the feeling things would get worse, apparently they have. One thing for sure, I would not want to be there if and when the government finally decvides to put an end to the protests. I think, unless you just gotta go to OAX, I would go someplace like Taxco and save OAX for next time. My thoughts anyway...
Old Aug 28th, 2006, 05:52 PM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks "dude" - I am torn in that I want to go, but I also want to enjoy the experience...maybe following the lead of the promotors who have cancelled the festival is wise....darn.....
Old Aug 29th, 2006, 09:32 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Before my trip a month ago to Oaxaca, I kept up news about Oaxaca by reading:

http://www.imparcialenlinea.com/
and
http://www.noticias-oax.com.mx/

If Spanish is not your language, you can use online translation site such as http://babelfish.altavista.com/translate.dyn to give you a good idea of what is going on.

In mid July, the barricades were still there but the protesters gave up half of Zocalo back to the street vendors. While graffiti against tourists were all over, the protesters just ignored us (tourists). Those not involved with strikes welcomed the tourists.

Reading the papers, it appears the situation remains tense.
Old Sep 3rd, 2006, 02:32 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't know about the food aspect, but a huge amount of the pleasure in oax is visiting the villages nearby. You hire a driver and go to many different villages. You can also go down to the coast to Puerto Angel & Huatulco (bad sp.) & have a really nice time and still save your ticket.