Search

oaxaca & then beach ?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6th, 2012, 12:51 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
oaxaca & then beach ?

Hi All
My boyfriend and i are planning a trip to mexico in early may. We are thinking Oaxaca for a few days for food and culture, and then would like to move on to a place where he can shorefish and i can swim and relax on a beautiful beach. We were initially thinking of making the trip from Oaxaca to Tulum ( beautiful beach setting and good fishing) but would be so happy to receive advice and opinions.
thanks much!
Old Mar 6th, 2012, 05:28 PM

There are lots of places on the Oaxaca coast that you might consider - Puerto Escondido might be high among them. I don't know much about fishing, but I'm sure you can ask. I did see a lot of fish.

Good luck.
Old Mar 6th, 2012, 09:25 PM

You can catch an internal flight to Huatulco--lots of coves for fishing and relaxing.
Old Mar 7th, 2012, 09:47 AM

Some things you may not have considered. Mexico is a BIG country - Oaxaca to Cancun and then Tulum is a long way. There are flights available to Mexico city and onward. It is a good two day drive or bus ride.
Also May is the hottest month in Oaxaca. It is very dry and will be very warm during the day - the nights usually cool down nicely but there is very little air conditioning. It will cool down considerably once the rains start in June.
If it is hot at more than 5000 feet imagine the heat at the beaches. Be prepared. There is very good fishing at the Oaxaca beaches - perhaps start by looking at "tomzap". To get from the city to the beaches is not far but long - driving or van it is about 7 twisty hours. There is a 40 minute flight to both Huatulco or Puerto Escondido - I think about $120 USD - aerotucan.
Old Mar 7th, 2012, 11:40 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I thought Huatulco & Puerto Escondido were the beaches most often combined with a trip to Oaxaca.

Tulum is such a distance it so seems a very odd combination, or more like two separate trips.