Oaxaca & Huatalco

May 20th, 1999, 08:10 AM
diane rudnick

Oaxaca & Huatalco

We have been to Mexico about 15 years & are thinking of Going to Oaxaca & Huatalco in Oct. Any suggestions- hotel, restaurants, compare it to other place in Mexico if possible. Thank you

May 20th, 1999, 11:08 AM
patrick

on the web, for oaxaca, check out http://index.oaxaca.com, http://oaxaca-travel.com, www.antequera.com/oaxacatour/index.htm
for huatulco -- www.eden.com/~tomzap/index.html#main

May 24th, 1999, 12:11 AM
April

Huatulco is quite pristine - considered sterile by some people. We didn't have much time there but our visit was pleasant. The Hotel Sheraton Huatulco looked nice on great looking Tangolunda beach, but (while we were there anyway) the undertow was so strong that we dare not even wade up to our knees. Fortunately there are other beaches, most of which we didn't get to. La Entrega beach was very nice and calm though and just a short boat ride from the dock, which is cheaper than taking the road route by taxi.

May 26th, 1999, 07:33 AM
Bruce

We stayed at both locations a few years ago. We enjoyed both cities, especially Qaxaca. We stayed at the Camino Real and found it to be quite charming. It's centrally located and provided us with everything we'd expected. The city of Oaxaca has a lot to offer. There are several wonderful restaurants we tried, most of them recommended by the hotel staff. Make sure you walk to the plaza in the evening to take in all the happenings. The hotel also set us up with a guide who took us out to Monte Alban, a must see. We also visited several of the local artisans in the surrounding area. Purchased some black pottery and alebrijes. The trip was my first visit to interior Mexico and I have to say I found Oaxaca to be a real highlight. The only thing I'd have done differently would be to have scheduled more time there. We only stayed two nights.
Huatulco was nice also but not nearly as stimulating. It's still under development and lacks the character of some of the other coastal locations. We stayed at the Sheraton which was fine. The ocean did have quite an undertow and I don't recall that my wife and I did much walking on the beach. There aren't any surrounding villages to visit so you tend to spend most of your time at the hotel. We tend to like to get out at least once a day to do something away from where we're staying. We found that difficult to do in Huatulco. We finally hired a driver to take us out to some of the outlying communities.

If I had the trip to do over again I'd spend more time in Oaxaca and less in Huatulco. We'd probably return to Ixtapa and Cabo before returning to Huatulco. Let me know if there's any more information that I might be able to help you with
A

Search this Thread