Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   O.A.T. trip to Costa Rica (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/o-a-t-trip-to-costa-rica-476004/)

fish Sep 22nd, 2004 06:46 PM

O.A.T. trip to Costa Rica

Message: we are taking an Overseas Adventure Travel trip to Costa Rica in Dec. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Jessie_ Sep 23rd, 2004 12:01 PM

Obviously you have done your research and it resulted in your choosing OAT. What kind of questions do you have? If you tell us where you will be staying with them we could possibly offer suggestions of must dos.

fish Sep 23rd, 2004 02:09 PM

Jesse, Thanks for your reply. First off, I am interested as to what people have experienced traveling with this company. Some of our communications with them since we booked have been misleading. As to your question, we are going to Poas Volcano National Park, Rio Sarapiquo, Arenal Volcano,Rio Frio/Cano Negro, Guanacaste Province, Rincon de la Vieja, Rio Tarcoles, Punta Coral Private Reserve and San Jose. Thanks!

Jessie_ Sep 23rd, 2004 06:40 PM

They have certainly picked some great places to take you. It is wonderfully varied in the types of flora and fauna you will see as well as wildlife. From live volcanos to coastal rainforests to dry forests, wow, you will be covering some ground.

Have not traveled with them myself but if you do a quick search and just type OAT into the search box you will find quite a few comments on them. The main problems seem to stem from the mother company, Grand Circle. Most reports seem to be positive about OAT itself.

I honestly can't find fault with any of the places you will be traveling to. The only place I haven't been is Punta Coral. The rest are all places I recommend to everyone.

fish Sep 23rd, 2004 07:14 PM

Jessie-
Thanks! We are really looking forward to the trip!

TripleSecDelay Sep 23rd, 2004 11:04 PM

fish : when you typed this statement [Some of our communications with them since we booked have been misleading] what specifically were you referring to? What was the misleading part? Was there a miscommunication? How is the communication taking place - by email, phone, fax, mailed letter?

fish Sep 26th, 2004 04:48 AM

TripleSecDelay-
There was a miscommunication promised by phone. Yes, we should have gotten it in writing. They have made good on most of the problem. Still one wrinkle to work through.
I have been reading your responses to lots of the the CR questions and you have given lots of good advice.

northgahills Sep 26th, 2004 05:33 PM

We have done the O.A.T. trip to Costa Rica and it ranks up there with one of our best trips ever. This is the only time we have ever used a tour company. I like the idea of renting a house & traveling at my own pace, and dislike the idea of being on a bus with other tourists, not getting to interact with locals, etc. OAT was not at all what I think most tours must be like. We had a small group, went to out of the way locations and had an incredible local guide.
My husband, myself and our two teenage sons went in the summer of 2000. Most of our group was older and I think at first they winced when they saw our sons, but were soon playing cards with our boys until late at night. We made some life long friends on this trip.
I think OAT now offers two different Costa Rica trips and except for Arenal our trip included different locations. Our guide, William Granados, was brillant and offered lectures each evening on topics such as volcanoes, macaws, etc. Most mornings he offered a pre-breakfast walk to look at wildlife. I have never seen such wildlife as I did on this vacation and wish I were waking up to the sound of howler monkeys once again!
The accomodations were simple but clean and in remote locations our electricity was from generator, but we had a private bunglaow most nights. We ate a lot of beans, rice and fish.
When I talk to people who have returned from Costa Rica and we compare experiences I feel like I saw more of the country and learned so much more than those who spent their vacation on the beach surrounded by other Americans.
My father and step-mother are leaving on an OAT trip to Ireland this week and my husband and I are planning on the OAT trip to Thailand for our 25th anniversary next year.
I hope your trip will be as wonderful as ours was. I'd do it again in minute!

fish Sep 27th, 2004 04:49 AM

Thank you, so much, for your reply. We are going with our 15 and 23 year olds, who are well-traveled, so they should fit in well with an adult group. Your message confirmed this.