Search

North of San Jose

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11th, 2007, 11:10 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
North of San Jose

My husband and I are looking to drive to either coast for 3 days in Nov. We are not "active" but are nature photographers. Which city would you recommend? Town nearby would be nice for walks. Will be driving from San Jose. We've already been to Arenal and Manuel Antonio so looking for another option. Don't want to drive the road to Monteverde!
Old Oct 11th, 2007, 05:12 PM

You're interested in a coast for 3 days? Have you considered the Caribbean coast (south)? There's all kinds of walking to do in town, out of town, on the road between Puerto Viejo and Manzanillo. We particularly enjoy renting bicycles and riding between those 2 towns, about 14 km. Many of the hotels have bikes for rent. We particularly liked Azania Bungalows, and have also enjoyed Aguas Claras and Almonds & Corals Tent Camp ('luxe tents) for a little different experience (further south, closer to Manzanillo).
Old Oct 11th, 2007, 05:15 PM
Original Poster

How long is the drive from San Jose? What 'nature' things are there to do in this area?
Old Oct 11th, 2007, 06:03 PM

The 2 things that come to mind immediately are Cahuita Parque Nacional, about 30 minutes north of Puerto Viejo (and 45 or so south of Limon). Further south, past Puerto Viejo, you get into the Gandoca-Manzanillo Wildlife Reserve.

I always look up a fellow named Abel Bustamante (because I am a birder) and we go out early in the a.m. for a half day, walking and looking. He lives just north of Manzanillo, knows the area well and is available to do whatever you tell him you'd like to see and do.

Also available: coral reefs, dolphin watching, nearby Indigenous Reserves, and, as mentioned, an excellent area for birding. You'll see lots of howlers, sloths, the usual. There's quite a bit, actually.

I haven't been there (oddly enough!), but a lot of people rave about the Sloth Rescue Center, Aviarios del Caribe, in that area.

Old Oct 11th, 2007, 06:07 PM

Sorry, it's about 4 - 4.5 hours from San Jose. You can do it in 4 on a good day!

It would take you 5 hours to get to most of the northern Pacific coasts, and you've already been to Manuel Antonio. The only other "closer" option would be the Jaco area, a couple of hours and on the way to MA.

There's also the Tortuguero area, not much in the way of towns for walking, but tons of wildlife, especially birds, on the canals and rivers of the area.
Old Oct 11th, 2007, 06:09 PM
Original Poster

what's the weather like in Nov. vs. the Pacific Coast. We were in Manuel Antonio last Nov. and it did nothing but rain. I've heard the Caribean side has less rain in Nov. but still quite humid? How long does it take to drive from San jose?
Old Oct 11th, 2007, 06:24 PM

http://costa-rica-guide.com/Weather/...rMap.html#rain

Check out the rainfall map. It may be helpful to you. You know, the patterns are opposite to the Pacific side. We've been to the southern Caribbean in October, January and lots in July. Rain has never been much of a problem any of these times.

Sept. tends to be the driest month, October a little less so, and so on into November. Dec. and Jan. tend to be the rainiest, I believe. Earlier you go in Nov, the better your chances perhaps? But even in January, we were able to go and do unhampered for the most part. It rained more during the night than during the day.

Drive times are mentioned in an above post. Hope this helps. The Caribe is so different from the rest of the country in culture, and many might not care for it. The lack of crowds is a big draw for us, though.
Old Oct 11th, 2007, 06:25 PM

I really didn't mean to sound OVERLY optimistic regarding rainfall on the Caribbean side. Everyone knows it CAN rain any time, any day. For days at a time. That just hasn't been our experience in the 5-6 times we've been there.