Visit to Palenque from San Cristobal de Las Casas

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 26th, 2013, 12:49 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

May be visiting San Cristobal in July and would very much like to tour Palenque as a day trip. I undertand it is about a two hour drive away. Anyone done this? Suggest tour company and what it included, as well as price. Any suggestions or information would be appreciated. Also any not to miss things in San Cristobal. Thanks.
Old May 26th, 2013, 01:31 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Hi Giovanna! I cannot give you any advice, but just wanted to say Hi! And hope you have a nice trip!
Old May 26th, 2013, 02:30 PM

Palenque is too far from San Cris for a day trip - more like 7 hours each way given the condition of the roads. There are some lovely water features enroute and another Maya site - Tonina - if you have time. I spent 2 weeks in San Cris 3 years ago. My photo collections with blog and travelogue links on the main pages are here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/staceyholeman/collections
Happy planning!
Old May 26th, 2013, 03:35 PM
Original Poster

Hi Michelle and thank you!

I'll check out your blog and photos. Thanks.
Old May 28th, 2013, 04:10 AM

Hi Giovanna!

I agree with Hopefulist, Palenque is quiet far from San Cristobal and the roads are very curvy! However, I would say that the trip takes more likely 6 hours. Something you need to know is that Palenque is very wonderful and quiet big, so the trip worth it, but better if you stay a little longer! After doing the ruins tour, you can also find a guide on the spot for a great jungle tour! Anyway, you can take the OCC bus or choose a shuttle service. Most travel agencies in San Cristobal offer shuttle service to Palenque every day. They pick you up in front of your hotel around 6:00 in the morning. The trip stops in Ocosingo (for breakfast), Agua Azul, and Misol-ha waterfalls (Agua Azul is beautiful, however only worth it if it didn't rain for the last week before you go - July being in the rainy season, better think twice!). Then, it brings you to the Palenque ruins. Some people say that the shuttle can bring you back to San Cristobal on the same day, but as I remember my trip to Palenque last year, the shuttle only brings you back on the next day (optional). In Palenque you can find all kinds of hotels, from small hostels in the town center to big resorts along the way to the ruins (jungle).

I hope this helps!

Laurent
Old May 28th, 2013, 11:13 AM

Length of trip depends in part on construction - we had several stops of half an hour or more and I've heard that continues.
Old Jun 4th, 2013, 05:45 PM
Original Poster

I thank you all for your advice and suggestions. I'm terribly disappointed as the trip was cancelled so I won't even be going to San Cristobal. I really had my heart set on the visit, but it won't happen now. Enjoyed all the pictures and I think I would have loved San Cristobal. Sigh!
Old Jun 4th, 2013, 06:04 PM

Hopefully another time!