Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   Non-Americanized resort (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/non-americanized-resort-239727/)

peter Jul 15th, 2002 09:42 AM

Non-Americanized resort

I would like to go to Cancun or one of the other nice beach areas, but have heard that they are all so Americanized. One of my friends who went to Cancun said it was hard to enjoy your stay when it was filled will white americans/euros and all te mexicans were cutting the grass. Where else can I go?

Nancy Jul 15th, 2002 10:07 AM

Peter, Well, that is a tough order to fill.<BR>You see, most Mexicans do not have enough money to vacation at the expensive resorts in Mexico. <BR>The Mexican people that I know who have the money to vacation like to go to other parts of Mexico which are not so touristy. They are very family-oriented, and like to go to villas in the country with large family groups. Many Mexican people's idea of a vacation does not include guzzling tequila until you are sick and buying stuff made out of coconuts. (Not that it's your idea of a nice vacation either :) I lived in a resort area for years, and went to other places when I went on vacation.<BR>If you want a non-Americanized vacation in Mexico, but still want to be on a beach and close to Cancun, I would suggest Playa del Carmen or Akumal or Tankah.

jette Jul 15th, 2002 10:51 AM

"Most Mexicans so not have enough money..." Pretty strong stereotype.<BR><BR>I see many, many Mexican nationals on holiday in Puerto Vallarta in the summer. Weather's pretty darn hot then but I liked that time of year since it seemed that there were more Mexican nationals than there were americans. Maybe its where we chose to stay or maybe we just hit the right time or maybe they prefer to go someplace with a more Mexican feel.

Nancy Jul 15th, 2002 11:23 AM

Jette,<BR>It's not a "stereotype," it's a sad fact. The per capita in Mexico is about $5,000 per year. Most Americans do not have enough money to vacation at luxury resorts either. <BR>Peter wanted to know why the hotel "was filled (with) white americans/euros and all the mexicans were cutting the grass."<BR>That's just the reality, no "stereotyping" about it. Don't try to read something into a post that isn't there and get something started.

Puerto Vallarta Jul 15th, 2002 11:30 AM

Lots of Mexican families from other parts of the country come to Puerto Vallarta for holidays and/or the weekends (the popular local beach is Playa Los Muertos). Old Town (not the hotel or resort zones) in the southern end of PV is a nice mix of Mexican locals and tourists (from Canada, US, sometime Europe, Austrialia, and Mexico).<BR><BR>Other thoughts are La Paz (on the Baja), Mazatlan, Zijuatenejo & Ixtapa, Acapulco, Puerto Escondido & Puerto Angel.<BR>

Ally Jul 16th, 2002 05:39 AM

Here's a link to a hotel in Cancun, but far removed from the 'masses' of people on the hotel zone.<BR><BR>http://www.chaletmaya.com/

Geri Jul 16th, 2002 07:06 AM

Even less Americanized than PV is Huatulco. We visited last December and it was wonderful to be in the minority, surrounded by Mexican families enjoying the holidays. We stayed in the Hotel Castillo in Santa Cruz across from the marina. Not much English was spoken, but I got to practice my Espanol and our hosts were friendly, gracious, and helpful. I am familiar with Cancun and PV, and there are positives in all three locations, but it depends on what you want in a trip to another country. I personally prefer to visit a place that is not a slice of American resort life. To each his own!

Megan Jul 16th, 2002 08:58 AM

http://www.maevamiramar.com.mx/<BR>Try this resort. I went for the weekend with some co-workers (we are on assignment in the area). We were the only non-mexican people. You better speak good spanish or have a spanish speaking friend make the reservation. Try to secure a room overlooking the aqure (they have shows every night) it is an all-inclusive, very very nice. excellent food and good quality booze.

Lenleigh Jul 17th, 2002 09:26 PM

That is kind of funny about the Mexicans cutting the grass at resorts... If you are in Mexico, who else would you expect to maintain the property? Canadians? You are going to encounter lots of travelers from around the world nearly everywhere you go. The only way to limit that is to go with a less touristy locale and stay in a smaller more intimate lodging establishment. On another note, I found the local staff at our hotel in PDC to be very friendly and extremely hard workers. I thought they were much friendlier than most of the Caribbean. So nuts to the stereotyping they get in this country.

Dunya Jul 22nd, 2002 12:57 PM

Went to Huatulco in August of 1998. Virtualy everyone there was Mexican familes on vacation.

jorge Jul 22nd, 2002 02:06 PM

Are you looking into staying in a resort with rich Mexicans locals or having gringos cut the lwan? wish I could help. <BR><BR>I think we have too tighten up our boarders in latin America, them damn American are taking over.. shoot them at the US/Mexican boarder as they do the Mexicans...

Dunya Jul 22nd, 2002 05:25 PM

Calmate Jorge

T.Allen Jul 31st, 2002 01:05 PM

To [email protected]<BR><BR>I am also looking for a non Americnized resort,and Ilooket at the Chalet maya on the net.It looks very nice.But before I send my deposit to secure the rooms ,i would like you to tell me more about this hotel and the beach over there.It seems so strange that 20 miles north of the hotel zone there is no major development .Also Isla Blanca does not appear on any travel guide?

Ally Aug 1st, 2002 06:16 AM

Sorry T.Allen, I didn't mean to imply I had been there before. I became aware of the web site from someone else on this board asking about it, and it DOES look great, (but as we all know, web sites can be deceiving) so I posted it as a possibility. I realize it might be a hassle, but perhaps you can make reservations for a night or two and have a backup plan for another property in case you don't like Chalet Maya? Just a thouhgt. If you do go, please let us know how it was upon your return!

Kim Aug 8th, 2002 05:32 PM

UM... Is this not about travel spots on "latin America" ? Good I am at the right place! I thought this was a debate for a second. My question is can we not be so touchy about the messageboard we are all looking for get a way not a get into it.lets lighten up... I am planing a trip also and this was a real bummer so read lets just keep it light and informative please. thank you for all the great info and nice replys.

susan Aug 8th, 2002 08:30 PM

My family just returned (7/20) from Puerto Vallarta. I would say the Mexican vacationers out numbered the foreigners, 70/30 maybe? Noticed many from Canada and Missouri? We had a wonderful trip, but the staff/and Mexican citizens (guests) seemed to be a lot less interested in speaking Spanish to "gringos" than when we visited Cabo.

Jane Aug 10th, 2002 04:29 AM

Peter-<BR>We stayed at a wonderful little town (this was five years ago, when we lived in Mexico for a year) on the Pacific coast. It was NOT luxurious but very charming. The name of the town is Rincon de Guabayon(sp?). I've loaned all my Mexico info to someone, but will try and get more for you soon.<BR>We were seemingly the only U.S. people in town.<BR>Jane

Robert Aug 11th, 2002 09:52 AM

You might want to consider Puerto Morelos. Its a short distance south of the Cancun airport but the village still maitains a laid back Mexican ambiance.<BR>

xxx Aug 12th, 2002 10:58 AM

Okay, the least americanized beaches to visit in Mexico are: Acapulco, Manzanillo, Ixtapa, Veracruz, Puerto Vallarta, the lake in Valle de Bravo (where all the chic Mexicans own summer homes). It also depends on what time of the year you go. September 16th is their independence day. So on that long weekend, those places are all full of Mexicans. It's a blast! They're fun people to be with.