No such thing as a free lunch

Jan 24th, 2001, 12:37 PM
Ian

No such thing as a free lunch

I have just read a holiday brochure which suggests that Mexico is fairly expensive for eating out, and that the average price per person for a three course meal would be about 28 ($40+). Can this be true? I had always thought Mexico would be relatively inexpensive.

Jan 24th, 2001, 12:57 PM
keith

Well I suppose there are places to eat and then there are places to dine, or something like that. There ARE some very rich people in Mexico, and there are some rich tourists, and there are places that cater to them. Perhaps the brochure you read was designed for these folks as well (Baluga caviar is getting so hard to find!) In the little country town in Northern Mexico where I spend most of my time, about $3.00 US (not including beer) will get you all you can eat at the best restaurant in town. In a city, like Chihuahua, at a family restaurant, I'd expect to pay two or three times that; but if I went to a working class place and had their "plate of the day," it would probably be back down around 3 to 4 dollars US max. Buen provecho!

Jan 24th, 2001, 05:31 PM
Susan

Keith's right - the price really can vary. It depends on the town or city. Like the UK, it also depends on the type of restaurant - family restaurants are going to be less expensive than 'fine dining'. $40 USD is about $60 Canadian - we've been to Mexico several times and I don't think we've had too many dinners where we've spent $120 on the 2 of us! We'll usually splurge once or twice (or more, depending on how we feel), but often we don't spend a lot.

Jan 24th, 2001, 07:19 PM
d motl

At the typical East and West Coast tourist towns we go to we eat at local as well as touristy places. We figure $3 to $7 for breakfast with the high end being a lunch type buffet.
An evening meal we figure $5 to $12 plus drinks and tips.
It is just like the US--you can spend what you want.
In Nov. we had a Mayan sampler platter of food (huge amounts) plus two beers for $5.25

Jan 25th, 2001, 06:53 AM
texasgirl

Ian, This is probably an accurate price if you stay in the high-end resorts in places like Cancun or Cabo San Lucas and don't venture away from the tourist zones. Also, Mexico City and other large cities have very fine restaurants on a par with the best in Europe or rest of North America and they charge accordingly. That said, I've never spent that much ($40US) in Mexico; there are too many great inexpensive restaurants, especially if you get away from the really built-up areas. And, even if you don't, you can find more reasonable prices just by looking around a bit.