Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   Night Drive: Airport to Peace Lodge (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/night-drive-airport-to-peace-lodge-360713/)

dawn_stclair May 14th, 2008 09:02 PM

Night Drive: Airport to Peace Lodge

Hi,

I'm planning a trip to Costa Rica for next January. I'll be traveling with two young children (ages 1 & 3) in addition to my husband and mom. We're coming from Seattle, and unfortunately the shortest flight I can find (that's not a red eye -- difficult with little kids) arrives into San Jose at 9:47 pm. We're planning to spend our first couple of nights at the Peace Lodge before heading off to Arenal and MA. I'm wondering if it's safe to drive from the airport to Peace Lodge in the dark on the night of our arrival. The alternative is to check into someplace closer and then rent a car and head to Peace Lodge the following morning. I'd much prefer to go directly to Peace Lodge upon our arrival but don't want to undertake the drive if it's going to be unsafe, especially with the kiddos. It's not far though, and the road is certainly well-traveled ...

Your thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You,
Dawn

Jeff_Costa_Rica May 14th, 2008 09:52 PM

That road can get foggy late at night. I wouldn't attempt it. You will have already had a long day of travel, and it could be another hour after you land by the time you clear immigration and customs and pick up a rental car. I'd get a good night's sleep at a hotel near the airport and start out fresh the next morning.

Marco13 May 15th, 2008 03:49 AM

It's about a one hour drive, in daylight. But the road is narrow, windy, and full of trucks during the day. It's also not well-signed. We drove it at dawn, and I was very glad for the daylight.

Unless you have a local driver, I'd opt for staying near the airport (Orquideas Inn?). You also would save a lot of money on Peace Lodge. If you get to PL early the next morning, you can tour the park before most day-trippers.

Another option, I suppose, is to take a local driver to Peace Lodge, then have your rental car delivered there next morning. Not sure if any reputable car agencies will do that, especially so far from the airport.

volcanogirl May 15th, 2008 04:43 AM

I would just stay near the airport the first night since you're getting in so late. The Peace Lodge is expensive, and you really wouldn't get much benefit from your first night. Just head out early the next morning; it gets light out very early. You can either drive yourself or hire a driver; we hired a driver through the Peace Lodge, and it was about $55 one way.

shillmac May 15th, 2008 07:29 PM

All above advice is right on. I, too, would suggest Orquideas. They'll pick you up at the airport and take you to their place for $10. They will also arrange for a car to be delivered to you the next a.m. They have a GREAT breakfast.

From their turn-in, you have a straight shot up the road to La Paz with good signage. At night it would be a nightmare to find your way to that road and make your way on it unless you were very familiar. Give yourself a break! Not to mention, as vgirl says, you basically waste a whole lot of $$ on lodging that night if you stay at PL because you are only want to crash and burn for a few hours. Get there fairly early the next day. You 'll be able to enjoy the beautiful drive the next a.m. and it will be an advantage to you to start out fresh and rested.

dawn_stclair May 18th, 2008 08:27 PM

Thank you!

Based on your information, I think we'll "suck it up" and take a redeye from Seattle (hoping the kiddos sleep) so that we arrive into SJO in the morning and can drive directly to the Peace Lodge in daylight. I'm sure that Orquideas and other hotels near the airport are great, but I dread the thought of having to drag two kids through the airport and then off to a hotel for just a single night. I really want to arrive and "settle in."

Again, many thanks! Those of you who contribute to this board are a tremendous resource and your insight is very much appreciated.

Happy Travels,
Dawn

shillmac May 19th, 2008 01:41 PM

Enjoy!

volcanogirl May 19th, 2008 03:17 PM

Sounds like a good plan - have fun!

cmlong May 25th, 2008 09:46 PM

The roads to Peace Lodge are windy, not well signed and there are lots of turns, if self-driving, I would recommend paying for a GPS. I wouldn't recommend driving it at night.