Train from Rio to Buenos Aires

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3rd, 2006, 11:08 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just booked a airline ticket for one week in late Nov. in Buenos Aires.

But I was wondering whether to split the week between Buenos Aires and Rio.

What are the train options between these cities, going from Rio to Buenos Aires?

What would be the transit time and approximate costs?

Do they have similar luggage allowances to airlines?

Maybe trying to squeeze in too much and not to either city justice. As of now, I've already booked the ticket with Continental. It would be about $80 more if I flew into Rio and flew back from Buenos Aires. That is tempting me but I haven't really looked at what to do in and around Buenos Aires yet (it could be that I'd want to not try to squeeze in Rio on this trip).
Old Jun 3rd, 2006, 03:15 PM

If I were you I would try a way through Iguazu Falls. There is no way by train I am afraid. But maybe buses from the border. That is very possible.
Sorry. I can not help you much.
Good LUck!
Old Jun 3rd, 2006, 04:24 PM
Original Poster

So there are no direct train routes?

How far is Iguazu Falls from Buenos Aires?

May do that as a day trip if it's not too far, because it seems going to Rio is probably not realistic.
Old Jun 3rd, 2006, 05:39 PM

by bus it is 17hs
More than a night.
Maybe you should go to the Jesuit ruins and after a short stay go to Posadas again by bus l hs more.

Posadas doesnt have much so take a night bus to Buenos Aires. That will certainly be better.
Old Jun 4th, 2006, 06:42 AM

Scrb - There basically are no trains here. Most of the railroads in South America have been out of business for decades. The few that still remain tend to be more domestic travel within various countries, not international travel between them, and are often not particularly safe options for travelling. I'm not sure if there was ever a Rio to BsAs direct train.

To clarify Milla's post - that's 17 hours between Buenos Aires and Iguazu - if you're thinking about a bus from Rio to Buenos Aires, you're looking at a whole lot longer trip (it's over 1200 miles/2000 kilometers) - well over a full day, with very little "off-bus" break time.
Old Jun 4th, 2006, 01:47 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info.

How about low-cost flights?

I tried out an itinerary on Continental. If you fly into one and fly out of the other to return to the US, it's okay.

But if you try to take Continental between the two cities, they fly you back to Houston before flying to the other city!

Anyways, it's looking likely I won't try to go to both cities. Save Rio for another time.
Old Jun 5th, 2006, 08:02 AM

I'm going to both Argentina and Brazil this winter for about a month so I've done quite a bit of research . You will waste one full day just travelling if you go by land and that's a lot considering you're only there for a week. If you really, really want to go to Rio I'd say take a flight instead. Not sure if there is a train but trains are always slower than buses. There are direct buses but I think it's more than 17 hours because it's 17 hours from Buenos Aires to Iguazu Falls. From what I've heard both cities are amazing and you'd probably want to spend a week in each.

I think you have it right when you say: "Maybe trying to squeeze in too much and not to either city justice."
Old Jun 5th, 2006, 08:37 AM

quick clarification:
Buenos Aires Iguazu 17 hs.
Iguazu Rio 18 hs
CRUCERO DEL NORTE

Iguazu-BuenosAires one way ticket Aerolineas Argentinas 298 $argentinos.

regards,
milla
Old Jun 5th, 2006, 05:35 PM

Hi scrub I guess you can check the distances in one of the many sites that give that information. DIstances are BIG
99% of people simply fly. You need a lot of time to travel between Rio and Buenos Aires and even Iguazu other wise.