Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   NewYorker need love too... (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/newyorker-need-love-too-421854/)

strangeflower Apr 13th, 2004 09:18 AM

NewYorker need love too...

Greetings?

I sent an earlier email inquiry about the Caribbean side and Dominical? Has anyone been to either side of the island? Can you share any information? Driving stories, hotels, atmosphere, restaurants etc?

We are thinking to stay at Tabacon for 2 days and then head down to the coast. Is there another resort or hotel in the area that is just as beautiful as Tabacon? Perhaps a new place with hot springs and out door showers?

We could use the input? Thanks!

SF

Suzie2 Apr 13th, 2004 09:59 AM

The Caribbean side has a definite Jamaican flavor to it. English is spoken there more so than most places. It is also the rainiest side of the country. Much less developed.
The Northern Pacific including the Nicoya is more of a dry forest area. There is more night life there in some places and some very nice hotels. A younger crowd although there are places for everyone. The central Pacific around Manuel Antonio is a very popular place with lots of choices of things to do.
Dominical is much more out of the way and not terribly developed. There are a few small gringo places. Swimming here is not the safest thing to do.
For special bathrooms, Bosque del Cabo down on the Osa has outdoor showers. Peace Lodge up by Poas volcano is much cooler as it is up in the mountains but the deluxe rooms are very nice. There are two jaccuzis as well as two waterfalls in the bathroom plus a fireplace. From what I understand, they are building a new place near Arenal with hot springs but it will be quite a while before they are open.
Costa Rica is not an island and is connected to Nicaragua to the north and Panama to the south. Don't expect the crystal clear blue waters that you find off of the Bahamas etc.

strangeflower Apr 13th, 2004 11:37 AM

thanks Suzie2 for the information Yes I understand that CR is not a Island! oops.

Thanks for the tip on Dominical... If not Dominical then what beach would you suggest on the coast. We want to avoid big crowds...

SF

Lovincostarica Apr 14th, 2004 09:37 AM

Hello,
I would recommend Manuel Antonio to you for your destination. It all depends on what you like to do on your vacations, and how active, young or old you are, but Manuel Antonio has almost everything available to meet most needs.
But we have 2 great assets here, the national park (CLOSED MONDAYS), AND Isla Damas, offering sightings of many different types of habitats, and the flora and fauna that inhabit each. We also have many beautiful beaches, and lots of tours and options for your dining and relaxing pleasure.
This is truly a beautiful place, and it is developed enough to enjoy, but still wild enough for you to see the amazing wildlife even from most hotels. Have a great time while here, and if you wish to visit Dominical, its a day trip from here, but it really is rather rustic with very few things going on other than surfing. I am sure once the highway is finished, this will change, but at this point, that is still some time away. Walt

strangeflower Apr 14th, 2004 10:00 AM

thanks for the FYI!