NEWEST driving restrictions in San Jose, Costa Rica

Jul 3rd, 2008, 09:27 AM
Original Poster

NEWEST driving restrictions in San Jose, Costa Rica

Since the other thread about this topic is way down the list by now, and since that information is now outdated, I'll start something new.

After implementing weekday rush-hour driving restrictions in San Jose just last week, the government has announced that the restrictions will expand to the whole day beginning next week.

The ban on driving in the city depends on final digit of the vehicle's license plate:

1 or 2: Monday
3 or 4: Tuesday
5 or 6: Wednesday
7 or 8: Thursday
9 or 0: Friday

The ban runs midnight to midnight and includes the area inside the Circunvalacion, the ring road that runs around the city. You'd need to look at a map to get an exact idea, but it's pretty much all of San Jose.

The ban includes all private vehicles, including rental cars and hired drivers. Licensed taxis, buses and official vehicles (police cars and ambulances) are exempt.

The fine is 5,000 colones (just under $10).

Just FYI, if you plan to drive in the city or pass through. Pay attention to the final digit of your license plate.

The government also announced that it is studying doing the same thing in a few smaller cities around the country, such as Alajuela, Heredia and Puntarenas. No decision there yet.
Jul 3rd, 2008, 03:58 PM

Thanks Jeff,

Hopefully one of Orlando's plates doesn't end in a 3 or 4. I arrive Tuesday with a ton of luggage. Wonder how many times a person can be ticketed in one day. If he picks me up at the airport it would be cheaper to pay his fine if he gets caught than to hire a taxi to drive me across town to meet up with him. On the other hand if he gets ticketed on the way to the airport and then again out of the city, it could get expensive. That is going to make it awfully hard on drivers that need to pick up customers downtown at the hotels for tours. Most of the cars/vans for tours are not taxis but are private drivers from various private tour companies.

Jul 3rd, 2008, 06:08 PM
Original Poster

You're arriving for good, right, Suzie?

First, the actual starting date has not been set. Maybe it will be later in the week. For your sake, we can hope.

Second, if I were a visitor, and had little ability to work around this, I'd risk it and just pay the fine if I, or the driver I hired, got caught. The fine is cheaper than a taxi from the airport.

Third, the airport is outside the restricted zone. You don't say where you have to go.

Finally, if your driver has a T (for taxi) or B (for bus) in the license plate number, then there are no restrictions. Is that a possibility?
Jul 4th, 2008, 09:35 AM

He is coming from Escazu. I am sure he can figure out a way around if need be. He is pretty resourceful.

Yep, this is the big move although we will probably head back to the states for a little while late Sept, early Oct to get more stuff. Hubby and puppy are already down there. Hmmm, I am here packing up the house and loading up the storage unit and he is down there picking out paint colors and buying appliances in Golfito. Something wrong with this picture. He also bought another puppy! Good thing we have a tile floor LOL. That's alright, a friend and I have plans to take the bus up to Guatemala to do some shopping so I will have my fun. Actually he has been helping as much as he can with the recent floods as well so it hasn't been all fun for him. We have several Costa Rican friends who lost their homes/businesses around the Rivas/Pueblo Nuevo area and are trying to rebuild. One of the businesses was building our furniture. Another one was where we got a lot of our plants from.

Thanks so much for all of your great advice. I am sure I will be asking for more. If you are ever in the San Isidro PZ area feel free to stop in (Vistas de Chirripo) or give me a call to pick you up if you are busing it. 8355-1803. There will always be a cold Imperial and Margarita fixins.
Jul 4th, 2008, 10:38 AM
Original Poster

If it's airport to Escazu, there's no need to pass through the restricted zone at all.

How exciting, Suzie. Let me be the first to give you a, well, pre-welcome.
Jul 9th, 2008, 08:20 AM
Original Poster

The 24-hour driving restrictions in San Jose become official tomorrow (Thursday). The fine for a violation will be 6,500 colones (about $13).
Jul 10th, 2008, 09:01 AM
Original Poster

The restrictions took effect today. The government decided to reduce the hours to 6 a.m. to 7 p.m. That seems fairer to me.