Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   Newbie traveling to Mexico (Mazatlan) in March. A few questions (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/newbie-traveling-to-mexico-mazatlan-in-march-a-few-questions-1663373/)

cbgetaway2015 Feb 6th, 2019 05:31 AM

Newbie traveling to Mexico (Mazatlan) in March. A few questions

Hi everyone! I am traveling to Mazatlan next month for a wedding. I have not been to Mexico since 2004, when I was very young. The bride has given us a lot of helpful information but I do have a few questions I don't want to burden her with.

First question: money exchange. What is the best way to go about it? Should I order some pesos before we go? When we travel to Europe I do this prior and then use the ATMs to take out more cash as needed. A friend that is traveling with us says she brings American cash and she just goes to the currency exchange a couple times, and just uses American money on the day of travel for taxis etc. is this accurate? I don't know how I feel bringing all of that American cash? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Second question: tequila. We would like to do a tasting/tour. Any recommendations? On that note I would love to hear if you have any favorite restaurants! We are staying in "The golden zone"

Third: Transportation from the airport: taxi? Uber?

suze Feb 6th, 2019 06:27 AM

Either way works for money. I do the same as you mention - order peso from the bank in advance, then use an official Mexican bank ATM machine if/when I need more. You can also change cash for cash, like your friend does, but that typically costs you a bit more (you won't get as good of a rate as from a bank or ATM machine). Same as spending USD directly. Sometimes you'll get a fair rate but sometimes not (it's almost 20/1 at the moment and taxi drivers may try to give as low as 10/1 for example, so basically you're paying almost twice the real price). But either method gets the job done.

pamsjones Feb 6th, 2019 06:49 AM

Hi Newbie traveling to Mazatlan--
I was In Mazatlan recently and bought a taxi ticket with American cash, no problem. In fact, the taxi ticket booth, is where you want to go---all the people with 'taxi' signs are time share sales people. (They're just doing their job, but don't get pulled in if you don't want the hard sell!) I usually get pesos from ATMs in banks, but there are ATMs at the airport, too, as well a cambio to buy pesos with cash. In fact, both are right by the ticket counter for the taxis. (There are also cambios in the golden zone.) The airport taxi is the way to go.
Here's a great Mazatlan website:mazatlantoday.net

CoW_mAn Feb 6th, 2019 09:28 AM

I've used US cash there no problem.

In fact I was able to go parasailing on the beach for $40 US. If you have the time and interest I highly recommend it.

suze Feb 6th, 2019 09:50 AM

Sure USD will be accepted, but do you know what kind of rate you were given each transaction? Merchants can set their own and usually (not always) to your benefit.

Current bank rate on XE shows as 19.09 (you won't get quite that but close at an ATM). So cambios/exchange booths are likely giving around 17.0 or 17.5. A taxi driver might offer as low as 12/1.

cbgetaway2015 Feb 7th, 2019 04:11 AM

Thank you all so very much!