Newbie to Los Cabos

Old Oct 22nd, 2020, 11:09 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Newbie to Los Cabos

Didn’t have any plans this year to travel because of covid but getting it as a gift, so now I’m looking for a place where I can relax. I've been to Mexico repeatedly times but have not been to Los Cabos. I suppose each city has its “must visit spot” and a most recommendable place to stay, I love swimming, though I would like something where I can relax and have all in one place. I plan on going the last week of November (Nov.27-Dec.4). I have not that much time to book.

You’re help will be great!!!
Old Oct 27th, 2020, 11:25 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Ocean swimming? Ocean swimming is limited to Medano Beach in Los Cabos. Other areas have dangerous surf. Los Cabos is made up of the towns of Cabo San Lucas and San Jose Del Cabo. Between is the area called the Corridor, which also has many resorts. There are also new resorts outside of San Jose on the East Cape.

We have stayed in San Jose at our timeshare, Coral Baja, which is small and handy to town. WE also go every other year to another timeshare called Pueblo Bonito Sunset Beach. It is out of CSL on the Pacific side. They also have villas for rent and an adult only hotel called Pacifica. All very nice. On Medano Beach, the main swimming beach in CSL, Pueblo Bonito has 2 resorts, Rosé and Los Cabos. Very nice too. All Inclusive is offered, but we skip it as we like going to and supporting the restaurants in town. Friends always stay in CSL at Villa Del Palmar. Other family members like the smaller, Holiday Inn, all inclusive in San Jose.

Lots of choices. We would have left today for Pueblo Bonito, but moved our stay to next year. Hopefully, things will be safer.
Old Oct 27th, 2020, 05:08 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I've been to Cabo San Lucas once, only for a week, but I really enjoyed it. I stayed at a basic hotel downtown (Mar de Cortez) which was perfect for me. But sounds like you want a place a bit nicer. I'd look at a hotel on Medano Beach like Casa Dorada if you want a "resort" or Bahia Hotel for a 3-star. I really don't think CSL has "must visit spots". More just a scenic low-key place to hang around for R&R. Not sure what it's like right now (covid-wise) but of course usually an active scene of bars and restaurants downtown and the Marina and the beach.

Visit the Trip Advisor Los Cabos destination forums, if you haven't already. There's a very active and helpful group posting over there.

Old Oct 28th, 2020, 08:03 AM

We should have been in CSL this week, but canceled our stay for this year. We were not comfortable with exposing ourselves and when we got back, our elderly mothers to COVID.

From what I am seeing from various Facebook postings, occupancy has really picked up this week. Things trying to get back to normal, but these are not normal times.
Old Oct 28th, 2020, 03:39 PM

Medano is the tourist zone beach with bars and hawkers.

You might look at some of these better options mentioned in this list.
https://www.travelagewest.com/Travel...-Cabos-Beaches
Old Oct 29th, 2020, 02:12 PM

Hi, we've been to Cabo a few times. As mentioned earlier, San Jose is north and Cabo San Lucas is south. San Jose is pretty small and very local, and I remember the town basically shuts down at night. Cabo has much more to offer as far as activities, restaurants, bars though it is very touristy. Each time I have stayed at the Hilton resort, which is about half way between the two towns. They have a small beach, but as mentioned above, the currents are very strong in this area and it can be dangerous. Stick with a nice pool instead.
One word of caution, you will be mobbed by people posing as taxi drivers, hotel drivers, rental car shuttles etc once you exit immigration. It's best to ignore these people and just go to the official desk or queue for your transportation. Especially if you rent a car, there will be many people posing as the "shuttle" for whatever company you tell them you're looking for. they won't harm you, but instead will take you to a time share presentation or charge you an insane fee. Sounds crazy, but you'll see this the moment you walk out of the door and into the hall.
Old Oct 29th, 2020, 02:51 PM

also planning to go there, but probably after the pandemic
Old Oct 31st, 2020, 04:30 PM

Medano Beach is swimmable and easy walking distance to town. Yes it is lined with bars and restaurants. Depending where you stay most others will require transportation or a rental car.

It's more east and west than it is north and south between San Jose del Cabo and Cabo San Lucas, the two towns making up Los Cabos at the southern part of the peninsula.

Old Nov 2nd, 2020, 09:28 AM
Original Poster

Thanks suze for sharing, I was thinking on something nice though I've done a little research on the resort you mentioned and didn't find much positive comments about it. Still thinking if a 3-star hotel is better.
Old Nov 2nd, 2020, 09:34 AM
Original Poster

Nice website, thanks mlgb, I see that Medano is highly recommended.
Old Nov 2nd, 2020, 09:37 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AlexandraReid
also planning to go there, but probably after the pandemic
Nice, please share your experience and the places you visited.
Old Nov 2nd, 2020, 09:40 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by suze
Medano Beach is swimmable and easy walking distance to town. Yes it is lined with bars and restaurants. Depending where you stay most others will require transportation or a rental car.

It's more east and west than it is north and south between San Jose del Cabo and Cabo San Lucas, the two towns making up Los Cabos at the southern part of the peninsula.
Seems like Medano Beach is the best option, pictures look pretty nice! Thank you!
Old Nov 2nd, 2020, 09:53 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TheTravelingLocals
Hi, we've been to Cabo a few times. As mentioned earlier, San Jose is north and Cabo San Lucas is south. San Jose is pretty small and very local, and I remember the town basically shuts down at night. Cabo has much more to offer as far as activities, restaurants, bars though it is very touristy. Each time I have stayed at the Hilton resort, which is about half way between the two towns. They have a small beach, but as mentioned above, the currents are very strong in this area and it can be dangerous. Stick with a nice pool instead.
One word of caution, you will be mobbed by people posing as taxi drivers, hotel drivers, rental car shuttles etc once you exit immigration. It's best to ignore these people and just go to the official desk or queue for your transportation. Especially if you rent a car, there will be many people posing as the "shuttle" for whatever company you tell them you're looking for. they won't harm you, but instead will take you to a time share presentation or charge you an insane fee. Sounds crazy, but you'll see this the moment you walk out of the door and into the hall.
Thank you TheTravellingLocals, what I’m really running away from is falling into a timeshare presentation. I’ve never been taken into one though I’ve seen a lot of complaints regarding those presentations and the resorts itself. How has your experience been in Hilton Resort? Can I get away from assisting to a timeshare presentation?
Old Nov 2nd, 2020, 10:48 AM

Anyone who is overly friendly or helpful will hit you up for a timeshare presentation. I am not kidding. We have even been hit up by the bagger at the supermarket. As mentioned above, the worst are at the airport as you leave immigration to go into the main airport exit. Just keep walking and ignore them. Your shuttle or transportation You arrange ahead of time will be outside waiting for you.
Old Nov 2nd, 2020, 11:30 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MichelleY
Ocean swimming? Ocean swimming is limited to Medano Beach in Los Cabos. Other areas have dangerous surf. Los Cabos is made up of the towns of Cabo San Lucas and San Jose Del Cabo. Between is the area called the Corridor, which also has many resorts. There are also new resorts outside of San Jose on the East Cape.

We have stayed in San Jose at our timeshare, Coral Baja, which is small and handy to town. WE also go every other year to another timeshare called Pueblo Bonito Sunset Beach. It is out of CSL on the Pacific side. They also have villas for rent and an adult only hotel called Pacifica. All very nice. On Medano Beach, the main swimming beach in CSL, Pueblo Bonito has 2 resorts, Rosé and Los Cabos. Very nice too. All Inclusive is offered, but we skip it as we like going to and supporting the restaurants in town. Friends always stay in CSL at Villa Del Palmar. Other family members like the smaller, Holiday Inn, all inclusive in San Jose.

Lots of choices. We would have left today for Pueblo Bonito, but moved our stay to next year. Hopefully, things will be safer.
Hello MichelleY, thanks for sharing. I’ve looked into the resorts you mentioned and they look amazing just what I want, however it did catch my attention you mentioned you had a timeshare there and regarding that I didn’t find many positive things about it. The thing about it is that I don’t like the idea of getting harassed to enter a sales pitch in which they will want to sell me a timeshare, which as I read, are scams. Or that you won’t ever receive what they promised in that presentation.

I am willing to go to this place, but what do you recommend me to do in order to avoid a timeshare presentation? Have your friends enjoyed their stay at Villa Del Palmar? Has it been satisfying?

Here is where I read from, two of the resorts you mentioned are listed here and well I would like to know how true is it, from your own experience.
https://www.timesharescam.com/timeshare-complaints-resorts-black-list/2-villa-del-palmar-timeshare-complaints/
https://www.timesharescam.com/timeshare-complaints-resorts-black-list/4-pueblo-bonito-timeshare-complaints/
Old Nov 2nd, 2020, 07:10 PM

Pretty much all the places I mentioned have timeshares, but they also have weeks available as hotels. Actually, the hotel deals can be better and cheaper, especially when you want to go in early December. Holiday Inn is not a timeshare. I would say choose what fits your criteria, budget and just say NO to anyone who asks you to do a timeshare presentation. They will be EVERYWHERE. . We were even hit up waiting at a bus stop out on the highway. Not worth wasting our vacation time. If you are looking at Sunset Beach, also look at Pacifica. It is their all inclusive adult only resort, not a timeshare. I believe the “Towers” rooms are more desirable. The pros of Sunset Beach is that it is out of the fray and bustle of CSL. But that Is also a negative. You have to use their shuttle bus to their Medano Beach resorts(Rose and Blanco) or taxi to town. It is not far, maybe 10-15 minutes by taxi.

My friends like staying at VdP. I have never visited it. Closer to town than Sunset Beach. Casa Dorada is right on Medano Beach, in the action with the swimming and water sports. Walkable to restaurants in CSL.

It all depends what you are looking for. Resorts right on Medano Beach in CSL town, on the Pacific side, or out on the Corridor between CSL and San Jose. It is all very nice. There are a bunch of new resorts along the Corridor, closer to San Jose. It is a different kind of beautiful, with the desert meeting the sea. The whales will be starting to show up! 🐋

Last edited by MichelleY; Nov 2nd, 2020 at 07:26 PM.
Old Nov 2nd, 2020, 07:11 PM

Take a look at the Los Cabos info on Trip Advisor. Their forums are much more active.
Old Nov 2nd, 2020, 09:23 PM

Never been to Cabo, I should really make a point of visiting there
Old Nov 3rd, 2020, 09:13 AM

thinking on something nice though I've done a little research on the resort you mentioned and didn't find much positive comments about it.

candau - Mar de Cortez is a great hotel. I did not mean it as a suggestion for you, rather just stating where I stayed. But it is not a "resort" by any stretch. It is a very basic Mexican hotel, popular with families, fishermen, budget travelers. I loved it there but sounds like you want a little more luxury in a regular resort situation

Did you look at Casa Dorado?
Old Nov 6th, 2020, 07:42 AM
Original Poster

Everything ready for CASA DORADA, thank you all for helping me!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -