Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   New Years Eve in Rio (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/new-years-eve-in-rio-381282/)

sieab Dec 9th, 2003 09:27 AM

New Years Eve in Rio

Please help me with any suggestions in regards to restaurants in the city that are recomended for this nite do you need to go there with reservations as well as restaurants that are worth eating at prior to this nite-I have 2 teenagers 19 and 15. We are also going to Foz before rio any restaurant and anypoints of unusal interest would be appreciated.Thanks

cariocagirl Dec 10th, 2003 08:33 AM

I wouldn't worry about reservations to any restaurants. There are plenti. There are alot of pay by the Kilo places that are far better than any of the touristy restaurants. You'll see. On Saturdays and Sundays the places are packed. There are alot of fast food and Dominos pizza as well. If you want good churrasco I would go to Porcao in Impanema NOT Copa 50Reais. Didn't like that one. A cheaper churrasco which was just as good is Mochichees 10-14Reais is located in the copa area around where blockbuster video is? forgot the exact street. They have the same as porcao, rice, beans, chicken, beef, etc. For a quick meal and is great is a GAllettos. Barbequed baby chickens. The best is down the block from the RIO International hotel. I paid 11reais for Chicken, rice, french fries, tomatoe salad, and a glass of red wine. Can't beat that either. I wasn't crazy about the house of Fejoada. I thought it was overpriced and didn't taste good.

Dondiega Dec 10th, 2003 12:00 PM

Also try Porcao's Rio in Flamengo, a newer bigger Chuasco, great place with fantastic view of Guanabara bay and Pao de Acucar. Also try Don Camilio in Copacabana and Mio's in Ipanema.

Dondiega Dec 11th, 2003 12:48 PM

Actually what I think your trying to ask with your question is what restaurant would be a good restaurant on New years eve to sit in the front of the beach and watch the festivities. If this is it then there are many cafes along Ave. Atlantica, the best for me is Don Camilio but you can also try Alcazar or the Balcony bar or Mondegos, there are so many. When you get there go to the restaurants and see if they have any tables left, yes you will need a reservation. And of course all the major hotels will have a view especially the Meridian, The Othon Palace and The Sofitel.

cariocagirl Dec 12th, 2003 12:31 PM

yes dondiga this is true if you want to sit next to prostitutes. sorry but the majority of restaurants along ave alantica is where the prostitutes handout in the evening

Dondiega Dec 13th, 2003 11:32 AM

Cariocagirl, I don't know why you are attacking me on this, yes it is known that there are prostitutes in Copacabana and many other cities in this world and for the most part they are concentrated in 2 Cafes which I did not mention. Can you name them? All the other cafes in Copacabana are fine establishments. Plus I don't know what makes you such an authority on Rio not that I am either but at least you should spell Ipanema correctly. On New Years eve are you serious to give advice to eat in a kilo restaurant in the back streets if Rio, get a grip please. This person is looking for a restaurant to watch the fireworks and festivities in Copacabana and the only place to do that is on Ave. Atlantica.

Cadu Dec 13th, 2003 03:16 PM

hahaha, i cant't believe it... that is someway funny...
I agree with Dondiega (that is always giving good hints, although i think is not from here...) when he says that would not be a good idea to stay in a kilo restaurant or pizza in new year's eve, although u should go there during the trip. Buut what cariocagirl said is a good advice too, there r many prostitutes, but u know, many tourists and so this is not a surprise.
If u want info send me an e-mail, i'm from rio. If i can, i'll help u.
Dondiega, i know this is not a chat but where r u from?

Cadu Dec 13th, 2003 03:19 PM

oops, sorry... forgot my e-mail: [email protected]
cariocagirl, r u from rio?

Dondiega Dec 14th, 2003 07:18 AM

Cadu, Eu morro em Nova Iorque. Eu estou Americano e ir a Rio muito vezes. I have travelled a good many places in this world but Rio is my favorite city and first visited in 1980. Since I have been there through the years I have stayed in several hotels and I like nice restaurants. I enjoy this board because I enjoy Rio so much and if someone is going to Rio and are not so experienced about Rio Then I enjoy passing information to them if they want it, that's all.

In reference to Cariocagirl's response to generalize about all restaurants and cafes on Ave. Copacabana then if people do not want to be exposed to that side of Rio then stay away from Meia Pataca cafe and Mabs cafe and more recently on a lesser scale the Balcony bar. All other Cafes in that area are legitimate restaurants open for normal people.

Dondiega Dec 14th, 2003 03:58 PM

From what I remember correctly as an answer to Cadu, Cariocagirl is from Germany and her Mother I believe is from Brazil, from Florinapolis/Santa Catarina. Rio is one of her favorite cities also, we share this in common and she offers true valuable information about Rio. I also believe that it is good to disagree and I will disgaree with her about the patrons of all the cafes on Ave. Atlantica in Copacabana. If I remember correctly she has a website and she is a very sweet young lady who loves Rio.

cariocagirl Dec 15th, 2003 09:18 AM

dondiega

I apologize if you felt that way. I was in no way attacking what you said. Yes I do know how to spell Ipanema. I have a bad habit of typing it that way. I also spell alot of the other streets incorrectly too! Yes, I am no expert on RIO because I do not live there. However, I've been there enough times to know whats good and whats not good. No, I don't know of all the restaurant names on the strip but to get technical starting from Leme (by Marius) to right before the Rio International hotel has cafes that have prostitutes that hang out. From a little past copa palace to Rua do Peru (near HELP) the majority of cafes have prostitues hanging out. So yes, the majority of cafes on ave atlantica has prostitues hanging out. The KILO places are not on the BACK streets of rio. It is one block off of Ave Atlantica and ALL cariocas go there frequently on FRI, SAT, & SUN. I was in rio for a month and on these days there were also people standing out in front waiting on line to get in. The food is great for the buck. That is the only reason why I mentioned it. Besides the best view and the only best way to experience new years in rio is to sit on the beach with all of the thousands of people and to bring a blanket, some drinks and hang out with the locals.

Chau

cariocagirl Dec 15th, 2003 09:24 AM

I am from North America. USA. Born and raised in Brooklyn, NY. I love brazil (RIO) in paticular. Would love to visit other parts; some day will do. My son is named after Renzo Gracie. A famous brother of the Gracie Brazilian Jiu Jit su. I've experienced Carnival but not New Years. Thats next on my agenda.

FINAL point - Even though there are prostitutes at night on the strip people still frequent the place to hang out. You sort of get used to it and people go about there own business. But if you are traveling w/ teenagers, I would not want my teen to witness and then start asking the questions. It just gets too embarrassing to have to explain it. Know what I mean?