Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

New need for yellow fever vaccine in CR?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27th, 2008, 01:05 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are returning to CR for the 4th time but this is the 1st time we have heard rumors that we should get a yellow fever vaccination. Our friends that are going with us were told by their family dr. to get shots. We had heard it was just on the southern tip, and we are not going to that region, and we are going at end of dry season (April). Any advice? thanks
Old Feb 27th, 2008, 01:56 PM

Costa Rica now requires a yellow fever vaccine from travelers from about 20 countries, all in South America and Africa, or if you have very recently been in one of those countries.

http://sanjose.usembassy.gov/yellowfever.html

The United States, Canada and Europe are not included.
Old Feb 27th, 2008, 08:55 PM

Question:

I went to Bolivia three years ago (on the same passport), and didn't get a YF vaccine (I visited the Altiplano during winter). Should I be worried about being denied entry in CR? Can I get the YF vaccine there?
Old Feb 28th, 2008, 04:05 AM

Of course I can't read the Costa Rican page as it's in a foreign language. I was in Brazil (just Sao Paulo & Rio) in December 2007 and am heading to Costa Rica in April 2008 - does anyone know if I am required to get the yellow fever shot? Something at the end of the document appears that it may say "10 days" so I'm hoping that it's just for people who have been in those countries 10 days prior to coming to Costa Rica??
Old Feb 28th, 2008, 10:41 AM

Will certainly keep a check on this, daughter heading to CR and was just in Chile.

Thanks for bringing it to our attention.

Old Feb 28th, 2008, 10:53 AM

Here's a link to the CDC travel site for Costa Rica:

http://wwwn.cdc.gov/travel/destinationCostaRica.aspx
Old Feb 28th, 2008, 11:23 AM

The CDC does not recommend a yellow fever vaccination for travel to Costa Rica.

Costa Rica requires the vaccination if you have recently been in certain countries where yellow fever does exist: Bolivia, Brazil, Colombia, Ecuador, French Guiana, Peru and Venezuela. I would guess they'll add Paraguay to the list soon. There's been a lot in the news about yellow fever there, even in Asuncion, the capital.

Chile is not on the list, dfarmer.

"Recently" apparently means in the previous six days. According to the CDC page whose link hopefulist provided:

"Traveling from an endemic zone is defined as transit through an endemic zone in the previous 6 days. Country requirements are subject to change at any time; therefore, CDC encourages travelers to check with the appropriate embassy or consulate prior to departure."

I take that to mean that a trip three years ago to Bolivia and even two months ago to Brazil won't be a problem.

The "10 days" reference is the length of time after you get the vaccination for immunity to take effect.
Old Feb 28th, 2008, 05:59 PM

Jeff is correct about the Yellow Fever Countries and the 10 day rule.

If you are going to do any kind of World Travelling in the next 10 years then get the Yellow Fever Vaccine.

There is no use always wondering if you should get it or not.

I got the vaccine last year because although I toured for a month in South American... I was going to the Amazon for a week.

Now the government in Brazil asks you to have Yellow Fever vaccine if you are heading to the Amazon....
and

"you could be refused entry if you cannot produce evidence of Yellow Fever vaccination."

When I was in Rio de Janeiro and flying to the Amazon,I was not asked if I had the Yellow Fever vaccine ,BUT...I had the stick of proof glued into my passport.!!

So maybe the Customs Agent saw it and never had to ask me.

dfarmer..... no fear, Yellow Fever vaccination is certainly not required for Chile.

Percy
Old Feb 29th, 2008, 04:17 AM

Thanks Percy and Jeff. After reading through the embassy and state sites, I realize Chile is not on the list. Just peeked my concern since it is in South America and she was there in Dec/Jan. Certainly don't want anything putting a kink in her summer study program in Costa Rica. She is so excited, as well as I! Wish I were going!

But does drive home the fact that all of us that love to travel do need to keep abreast of these things. I guess I am guilty of thinking - I have been there, no need to check.
Old Feb 29th, 2008, 05:15 AM

I'm with Percy about getting the vaccination if you anticipate heavy-duty travel. The immunity lasts for 10 years, and so every 10 years, I get immunized. I'm good until 2012.

The catch is, you can't just go anywhere to get the vaccination. Your local doctor's office may not be authorized to administer the vaccine. Your local public health department would be able to tell you where in your area you can get it. When you get the shot, you are given a little certificate that indicates the date of administration. It's the internationally recognized proof that you use when you enter a country that requires it in these situations being discussed.

But to clarify once again: There is no need to get the vaccination if you are traveling to Costa Rica and have not recently been in one of the countries on the list.
Old Feb 29th, 2008, 05:17 AM

Jeff and hopefulist -- Thanks.

I'll probably wait until I can either get it before traveling for work (so I don't have to pay) or until I'm next in Buenos Aires (where it's free). It's $125 at the clinic here in DC!
Old Mar 3rd, 2008, 06:06 PM
Original Poster

glad I asked! This was very helpful. thanks to all.