Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Nevermind Spain, I want to go to Argentina! Some early questions...

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5th, 2008, 06:57 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Four months after booking my flight (FF miles) to Madrid I finally decided to face the fact that I simply was not excited about my upcoming trip in October to Spain. (No particular reason, just could not get enthused about Spain). Anyway, after a lot of time on the computer this week I finally bit the bullet today and changed my flight to Buenos Aires. I only have 7 nights, so much as I'd like to I doubt I will stray far from BsAs. I'm still in the very early planning stages and need a guidebook pronto but I have some questions already.

I've got an early list of hotels I like, all around $200-$250 a night, they are Hotel Madero (Sofitel), Moreno Hotel, Marriott Plaza, Regal Pacific & Esplendor Buenos Aires. (I've looked at a lot of the boutique hotels but while lovely they are just not my style). Until I get a guidebook and map I'm not sure exactly where all these hotels are but do any stand out as "oh God don't stay there" types?

My return flight, on 10/31, doesn't leave til 10pm. I've never had a flight this late, what is the norm with hotels? Are very late check-outs available, or offered at a reduced rate?

Thanks to the advice here on the forums (I think it was avrooster who rec'd), I've really become entranced by Estancia los dos Hermanos, so much so that I'd like to stay there for a night or two, not just a day tour. Has anyone stayed there before in the cottages? Any idea on what the cottages run per night, the transfer cost and the day tour?

I will continue reading all the posts here and sure I will have more questions in the months to come!

Old Mar 6th, 2008, 01:41 AM

Of the hotels you mention, I only like the location of the Plaza, but drdawggy, the TOP Internet authority on BA should should soon be here, to bestow upon us the immense privilege of his unlimited wisdom on the subject (just kidding, LOL!!).

About the estancia, have you read this?

http://tinyurl.com/3xna57

and this is their website:

http://www.estancialosdoshermanos.com/index3.htm

Write to Ana Peña to find out the prices. Keep in mind this is a simple country place, not a deluxe dude ranch (don't expect wi-fi, for instance, LOL!!). Of course, choosing days with a good weather forecast is quite relevant for this outing.

About the late check outs, there is no set rule. If the hotel is full, you won't get one. If it is not, maybe.

If you leave from the estancia, you won't have that problem. Just leave at about 5 PM for the airport.

Have a great time in our country.

Old Mar 6th, 2008, 05:49 AM

Hi Tully,

We've travelled to AR twice before starting our Costa Rica tours. We love AR and are hoping to return a third time. We've been to Spain, I thought AR was much more diverse and exciting.

Anyway, we've stayed at the Marriott Plaza on both our trips, it is in a great location and has a lot of historic value. We enjoyed our stays there very much.

The last time we did try a boutique hotel, the Bobo, which we enjoyed too, it's in a different neighborhood, more like Soho in NY. The Marriott is more like staying in mid-town. As far as late check-out, the first trip we had to wait until the last day to find out how long they would let us keep the room, we were able to get a 6:00 checkout. The second time, we stayed at the Bobo, my TA arranged the late checkout.

We've travelled extensively throughout the country and used a TA to book all our flights, etc.

One side trip I highly urge you to splurge on is a 1 or 2 night trip to Iguazu Falls. I would do this over the estancia as the Falls are amazing and there's wildlife all around.

Feel free to ask questions, I learned a lot and got great advice from this forum before we took our trips.
Old Mar 6th, 2008, 06:11 AM

Hi tully,
How great that you are coming to visit Buenos Aires

One of the pluses of staying in the boutique hotels is that they are more in residential neighborhoods, rather than the big chain hotels that are located downtown in the touristy area.
They are smaller and have much more charm, some are quite expensive and hard to get into..so there are not many of the popular ones that you would think, stay away from there!

Look at the Art Hotel and the ArtSuies and the Loi Suites for hotels , in Recoleta...great neighborhood to be in as a tourist and a resident

Flights to and from BA leave at night and arrive at their destinations in the mornings...or so I understand.
Our flights and our friends in NY always leave at night. Both here and in the US.

The Art Suites gave us a 6:00pm check out with no charge..I know they will hold your luggage for you, most hotels will.
Our friends will go to have a late big lunch somewhere around 2 or 3 then taxi to the airport.. leaving here takes time, customs etc so by the time you are on the plane, you are ready for bed

If you look at other forums, that are often posted here on Fodors, you can find more chat about Los Hermanos. There is also Santa Susana that has day trips.

Off to take our perro for his baño now ((&amp) .. hope this helps ~
Old Mar 6th, 2008, 09:29 AM

We're going to be staying for one night at Estancia dos Hermanos next month, and we were quoted $130 U.S. per person, double occupancy. That includes the room, 3 meals & drinks, as well as horse riding.
Old Mar 6th, 2008, 10:13 AM

Hi tully!!

I'm laughing a bit as I read your post because I just finished reading a bunch of posts on Spain for a possible trip I'm trying to plan with a couple of pals in October!

I then decided to head over to my beloved Latin America forum with the idea of perusing posts on Argentina and Peru. Our brain waves must be in sync!

Old Mar 6th, 2008, 11:11 AM
Original Poster

Many thanks, wow, so much info. It's so funny I am so much more excited about this trip than I ever got about Spain

avrooster - yes I had looked at the Hermanos website but hadn't read all the reviews at TA/ Most people posted about day trips but a couple had stayed there overnight. Rustic is fine! I don't even own a cell much less a laptop! I will write them soon but have taken note of alan's comments about the pricing - sounds like an excellent deal. I've looked at some other estancia's but this one appeals to me so much more, so many of the others I found looked too polished. I will have to decide to hit there on arrival or before departure, if on departure it definitely would solve the late check out problem!

owlwoman - thanks for comments about the Plaza, it does have a nice look about it, the different areas I'm still trying to get my head around. I have a little while to decide, I have to get my May Costa Rica trip out of the way first! I have looked a lot at Iguazu, the main thing holding me back is time & money. I know I'd probably want to go for at least 2 nights, and I know I'd really want to stay at the Sheraton if I did, but at $375 or so a night - ouch. Plus it seems like there is just so much to do and see in BA! When I have more time it is definitely on my mind.

Scarlett - thanks for all the info, I will look into those hotels you have mentioned. I know the hotels I listed are somewhat similiar in type/style. I know some of the more boutique ones I've looked at just, for me, don't look my style. It's hard to explain! I don't want any hotel where you could be anywhere, but I kind of like the anonymity of the larger hotels. I guess some of these remind me of B&B's, which I have never been able to stay in as I hate being underfoot. I hope that makes sense! Plus, I do smoke and have noticed many of the more boutique ones are non-smoking. There are a couple though I have on my list though - Five Cool Rooms, Legado Mitico and such that do appeal to me - so I guess more research is in order! My gatos hope your perro had a nice trip

Alan - thanks for the pricing. I didn't believe it would be too unreasonable and that sounds like a great rate. Did they give you a rate for transfers as well? I was estimating $50-$100 r/t?

cam - keep up will you?! Yeah I decided after 4 months if I wasn't enthused about going that wasn't going to change and why not go somewhere that I was excited about?! Of course CR in Oct is out anyway! Can't wait to meet Mr Ben in May, he'll be almost 5 months by then!

Sorry for the very lengthy post But so much good info - thanks everyone for sharing. I definitely am getting a guidebook tomorrow!
Old Mar 6th, 2008, 11:23 AM

They said that transport to or from B.A. would be $50 for the car. If they pick up several different guests in B.A. then they would split the fare.
Old Mar 6th, 2008, 12:36 PM

lol tully,
Tell the gatos that Perro lives in BA now and sends besos
Old Mar 6th, 2008, 03:32 PM

Hi - I'm tagging on to this post with a question for Scarlett.

Miss Scarlett - You recommend the Art Suites for accomodations. Did you find that you had to use taxis a lot, or was it within walking distance (e.g. a few blocks) from any subway line? I do a lot of walking and long distance running, so a few blocks wouldn't any problem for me - provided it's not in a scary area. I'm trying to figure it out, because one of my guidebooks says Art Suites is FAR from the subway, and another doesn't say anything at all. Since I'll be solo, I'd ideally like to just use the subway and not take cabs. Thank you!

Note to Tully and cmerrel - I went to Spain last year, and so this year I've been (like you) feeling a bit "ho hum" about Europe! LOL! Thanks to the persuasive avrooster and numerous other posters, I am now going to celebrate my 40th birthday in BA (and I'm SO excited)! Woo hoooooo!!! Glad to hear you're going too! cheers - M
Old Mar 6th, 2008, 04:45 PM
Original Poster

Magellan congrats on celebrating your b-day there. I will be 3 months shy of celebrating 40 when I will be there in Oct. I will be solo as well, so here's to more travel!
Old Mar 7th, 2008, 02:24 AM

M: for a "Long Distance Runner" such as yourself, the subway is certainly not too far. LOL!!

I cannot say exactly at this time, but I imagine we are talking about 10 or 15 blocks, certainly no problem, compared to the Marathon. LOL!!!

Don't fret so much, you'll have a great time in BA!

Old Mar 7th, 2008, 03:29 AM

Hi Magellan!
We didn't take the Subte when staying at the ArtSuites.
We have taken one since..I am afraid we are not very experienced in the subways of BA (yet)

When staying in the Art Suites, we walked everywhere and took taxis when we needed transportation.
The blocks here are easy, there is so much to look at and it is so interesting Everywhere in BA, that traveling by foot is our favorite way of getting around.

I don't think the Subte stop is that far from the Art Suites. You will get a city map plus a Subte map at the hotel.

The buses here are also safe and easy, and very affordable..

What a great place to be for celebrating a Birthday..

Old Mar 7th, 2008, 06:20 AM

Hi Scarlett - Thanks for your answer to this question as well. I will either try to stay at Art Suites, or rent an apartment, depending a few different factors, so this info is really helpful - thanks for the b-day wishes too.

Avrooster - as usual, you are cracking me up! I promise to stop fretting - as soon as I have my accomodations settled. LOL

Tully - sorry to piggy-back so much on your post! Thanks!
Old Mar 7th, 2008, 11:14 AM
Original Poster

magellan no worries at all, please piggy back all you want. We're both female solo travelers so we are bound to have similiar questions - or questions not yet thought of.

I'm looking forward to walking & more walking, exploring the city. I know in Places like Paris & London, I rarely took the subway as there was so much to see on the way!