nervous about stay at Barcelo

Old Apr 14th, 2006, 10:09 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
nervous about stay at Barcelo

I was curious about bringing my family to stay at Barcelo hotel, Cancun since the murder in February. Has anyone stayed recently to let me know how the hotel is handling this situation? Also, this is my first stay in Cancun, any suggestions for a family with teenage boys and an 8 year old would be nice.
Old Apr 14th, 2006, 01:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Most of the people who stayed there at the time of the murders didn't even know anything had happened. The resort is carrying on business as usual. Unfortunately, murders can occur anywhere at any time. Go and enjoy and don't worry, be happy!
Old Apr 14th, 2006, 01:26 PM

I think Barcelo is south of Cancun about an hour; south of Playa del Carmen also. I would use common sense, as you would anywhere, and make sure your kids are properly supervised.

Barcelo is a huge all-inclusive. There should be plenty for them to do on-site. But...There are quite a few ruins to visit - Chichen Itza,Ek Balam, Coba, Tulum and Muyil. How much adventure would you like?
Old Apr 16th, 2006, 04:39 AM

I would not worry too much. Obviously use common sense, but in many years traveling in Mexico, it has been a great experience with few problems. Satistically speaking you will be safe. Likewise, not to trivialize the issue, I have never lived anywhere in the U.S. where there have not been muders on occasion.
Old Apr 16th, 2006, 06:45 AM

The room in question is still taped off, but other than that it is still business as usual.
Old Aug 16th, 2006, 12:24 PM
bfp

I stayed at the Barcelo 2 yrs ago; it's a good facility for kids; if they're good swimmers, they can go snorkelling off the pier at the resort; there were a lot of teenagers at the disco around 11 pm (we were not teenagers and felt very very old); since many of the news items I've read about the murders say that there's a possibility it was staff members, just be careful, don't take your best jewelry, lock your doors; we found the staff there to be really friendly and very helpful; I was really sad to hear that the murders might have been an inside job
Old Aug 23rd, 2006, 11:58 AM

I wouldn't stay at this resort if I were you. Their conduct regarding the murders is shameful. There are plenty of other resorts that are just as nice, if not nicer than the Barcelo. I'm from Toronto and have been to the Mayan Riviera many times and although I was very disturbed by the murders, it will not stop me from going back to this area, but as I mentioned, I would not stay at the Barcelo when there are so many other great resorts. We've stayed at the Iberostar Tucan, RUI Yucatan, Grand Palladium, Bahia Principe. All of these resorts were beautiful.

I also heard that the family of the murder victims is in the process of suing the Barcelo chain. I'm sure they have great insurance though.
Old Aug 25th, 2006, 02:38 PM

Which one did this horrible incidence occur at? There are 3 Barcelo. Maya, tropcical, and Colonial. Thanks.
Old Aug 29th, 2006, 10:50 AM

I'm not sure what site the murders occured at, but I think it was the Maya. Regardless, I wouldn't stay here when they're are many other beautiful resorts to stay at. I saw this resort on my local news the other day and they still crime tape outside the room where the couple were murdered. I wouldn't want to get stuck anywhere near that room and have to look at crime tape everyday.