Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   Need Your Reports on Playa del Carmen Hotels! (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/need-your-reports-on-playa-del-carmen-hotels-183521/)

traveler Aug 31st, 2001 06:30 AM

Need Your Reports on Playa del Carmen Hotels!

We would like to visit PDC over Christmas. We are considering th Riu Tequilla, the Iberostar Paraiso and possibly the IB Quetzal. Any experience, good or bad, with these or other hotels? Would love to hear others experiences. Also, we are traveling with 2 kids (4 and 6) so a kids program is probably a plus. Thanks for any info.

Kristine Aug 31st, 2001 07:22 AM

Check out the following site as there are a lot of trip reports and info listed on your selections. <BR>http://mytravelboard2.com

Debbie Aug 31st, 2001 06:38 PM

Hi. Email me for my trip report on the RIU Yucatan which is across the street from the Tequila and pretty well the same services, food, etc. <BR>Don't go to the mytravelboard site as you will quickly become bored of all the nitpicking and bickering back and forth about every little tummy ache from here to Texas! <BR>The RIU resorts are great. We've stayed twice for 2 week long stays and cannot say enough about these great ai's along the Playacar coast.

Kristine Aug 31st, 2001 07:55 PM

To each his own but I don't mind wading through what Debbie defines as nitpicking and bickering. I agree that there are some people who you can never please and I feel that will be evident on any travel board you visit but I like the ability to view varied reports, good and bad, on my topic of my choice. A vacation is what you make of it and obviously there are always going to be those who find fault in everything!

Steve Sep 2nd, 2001 02:16 AM

Must really endorse comments on RIU Yucatan.My wife and I visited there in November 1999, and are returning there this November. <BR>The position of the hotel, the food, and the beach are very good. <BR>Also the proximity of the village of Playa Del Carmen offers a cheap and varied option for dining and people watching. <BR>I'm sure you will really enjoy your trip.

Parrot Mom Sep 2nd, 2001 04:14 AM

Try http://www.cancunandrivieramaya.com a very active board.. all rave about IB Pariaso.. we are going the end of October.. sounds like a fantastic place..

- Sep 2nd, 2001 11:32 AM

have been to the Riu and the Iberostar. The food and service were much better at the Iberostar.

Debbie Sep 2nd, 2001 05:08 PM

Hi Steve - funny that, we spent two great weeks at the RIU Yucatan in Feb 1999 and then again this last Feb. I think what will impress you is that the services haven't declined at all since you were there 2 years ago. At pool bar, they now have set up 8 cold drink dispensers and 1 ice dispenser, so don't forget to take a couple of insulated mugs/glasses (with lids) with you this time. It's great to be able to fill up your insulated glasses with the beverage of choice and have it stay cold & sand free after you've settled back into your lounge chair! Have a great vacation in Nov!

karri Sep 5th, 2001 06:48 AM

If you have children, you should really stay at the Iberostar. WHat the other posters might have enjoyed about the Tequilla will not necessarily appeal to someone who is travelling with kids. The Iberostar is absolutely the tops--the kids will be occupied all day, and will love the jungle atmosphere. I must report that we stayed at the RIU Yucatan (and had friends over at the Tequilla) and the pools are FREEZING! It can also be kind of a pain walking over to the beach from the Yucatan. The Iberostar has a fabulous beach, and although there aren't too many differences between the hotels, I would definitely recommend the Iberostar.

Sheri Sep 6th, 2001 07:23 AM

Try the Gala. It is a wonderful place. Have stayed there twice & enjoyed every minute. It is not as large as the Iberostar, which is what we liked. It is right next door, in fact it is the last resort along that stretch but easy walking distance to the Play a Car little shopping center. It has a kids club also. Food good, service good, rooms very nice, day & night entertainment, yet not so large that you have to wait on eveything you want to do. GREAT PLACE&gt;

Rich Sep 8th, 2001 05:32 PM

We stayed at the IB Paraiso del Mar last Feb. and loved it. The accomodations were lovely and the food was very good (at least at the buffet restaurants). One thing we didn't find out until we arrived is that you have to make reservations for the ala carte restaurants and they are sometimes difficult to get and the lines are long to make your reservation. We ate at the Mexican ala carte restaurant and it was not very good. I've heard good things about the Japanese restaurant. The pools were nice and the swim up bars were a blast. The ocean is a slight walk from the pool area though. There were a lot of European guests at the resort during our stay and not a lot of children. They do have children's programs that seemed nice. All in all it was a great trip--we didn't want to leave.

KAREN Sep 9th, 2001 07:05 PM

We stayed in Playacar beach properties last January and enjoyed the private area so much we returned in March. We stayed at the Casa Griffin, and the Casa Clara. Both were wonderful houses in a quaint little development built around Myan ruins, and walking distance to town. go to www.vacationspots.com and then select playa del carmen