Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   need trip advice (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/need-trip-advice-499566/)

lvnmt Jan 29th, 2005 05:08 PM

need trip advice

HI
I have the first half of my trip planned, but I need help with the last 4 days. We arrive in San Jose late at 8:30pm and are staying at the hotel villa bonita. We are planning on taking interbus to Monteverde the next morning and staying 3 nights there.
On day four we are planning to take the taxi-boat-taxi to Arenal. Not sure if we should stay 2 or 3 nights in Arenal. I would really like to go to La paz, so I thought that we could take a side trip from Arenal.
Now comes my dillema. I want to go to Manuel Antonio, or Quepos I guess. But is 4 days too long? Should we make another stop in between here and Arenal?
I was planning on taking the interbus to MA from Arenal. Should we rent a car in MA? Is it worth it.
Also, has anyone stayed at the Coste Verde-is it nice?

I am really sorry this message is so long. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

dfarmer Jan 29th, 2005 06:46 PM

It seems that most people stay 2 nights in Monteverde, however it is one of my favorites, I could easily stay 3.

2 or 3 in Arenal is fine, we did 2, but could have found plenty to do with another day.

4 in MA is not too many, lots to do here. There is no need to have a car in MA, we used the local buses during the day and taxi at night.

Do a search of this forum for Costa Verde, there are lots of post about this hotel, everyone seems to really enjoy it. We did not stay there but enjoyed two of their restaurants.

For daytrips to La Paz, I don't recall any being offered from Arenal, but I really was not looking. You can easily arrange a trip from hotels in and around SJ. La Paz is a spectacular place.

If waterfalls are an interest, don't miss the La Fortuna fall while in Arenal.

lvnmt Jan 30th, 2005 12:14 PM

Thank you for the advice. I am glad to hear that it was easy to get around in MA. I really didnt want to rent a car if I dont have to :)

hopabout Jan 30th, 2005 04:10 PM

How to see La Paz Waterfall.

Hi,
I have a suggestion. If you are arriving to the San Jose airport in Alajuela. Why not stay the first two nights there. The morning of your 1st full day take a Fun Adventures tour through the mountains to Poas Volcano, Waterfall Gardens, *La Paz is at the bottom, and a trip down the Saripiqui River. Nice breakfast and lunch included.

Then, go up to Monteverde as the last reply suggested for 2 nights instead of 3.

hopabout
[email protected]

Duke Jan 30th, 2005 05:19 PM

Costa Verde is a great hotel. It sits on top of the hill, overlooking Manuel Antonio NP. Friendly people, really spacious rooms (in the newer building); there are several places to eat and drink on-site. We stayed there two years ago, and it was a very good bargain for the services/amenities.
I'll be interested to read the rest of the replies to your posting. We're planning a similar trip. (MA, Monteverde and La Paz).