NEED TO MAKE QUICK DECISION - HELP!

May 20th, 1999, 05:43 PM
Dave

NEED TO MAKE QUICK DECISION - HELP!

Being offered an 18 month work assignment in Caracas. I hear it is very unsafe. Can anyone who has lived in Caracas give me a good opinion on whether or not it make sense to accept. Considerations are the expatriot life - mid 20's, good bars, good people, the real scoop on safety using commen sense, cost of life, apartments, food. any information is huge help. Thanks.

May 20th, 1999, 09:36 PM
ven

I lived and worked in Caracas for 2 years. I am fluent in Spanish and very familiar with the culture.

Caracas is not a very desireable place to live. The only good thing is the climate though it can be smoggy at times. Crime is a very serious problem. Venezuela has gone from being relatively prosperous to economic chaos with the decline in petroleum prices. This has caused great instability and volatility. Caracas is now a very dangerous city.

The cost of living in Caracas has declined from being one of the most expensive cities in the world to one of the cheapest. The Venezuelan people are good folks but they are struggling. Caracas has some great restaurants and a vibrant nightlife. Be careful with the bars unless you are familiar with the system. You could end up in trouble if you don't know what you are doing.

Search this Thread