Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Need to choose between Playa del Carmen and Isla Mujeres

Feb 7th, 2001, 08:13 PM
Maria

Hello Everyone:
My husband and I are planning to go to Cancun for two weeks during May. I have heard that both Playa del Carmen and Isla Mujeres are beautiful. We want to have fun but also want to be in a beach that is not too crowded. What do you suggest? Thanks for your help.

Feb 8th, 2001, 08:04 AM
Susan

They are both great, but quite different. Playa del Carmen has bigger resorts and more of a European feel - many Italians go there and there are lots of cappuccino bars, Italian restaurants, etc. Beach is quite long, but whenever I've been there (February or March), the waves are fairly large. There are lots of good restaurants, you can rent a car and visit ruins (or take the bus), head south and go snorkeling, etc. I spent a week on Isla about 2 or 3 years ago. You're more isolated because you're on an island. A lot of people come from the day, so it is very quiet in the evening. (Mind you, it was October when I was there, not exactly high season.) Good restaurants, fairly good shopping (like Playa). Small hotels. Playa Norte was lovely - calm water (although both my husband were bitten - or is stung? - by sea urchins) and nice little restaurants along it. I preferred swimming there to Playa del Carmen, although Playa is nicer for walking along the beach because it's so long.

If you're going for 2 weeks, you could split your time up. Maybe a few days in each, also a few days on Cozumel or maybe inland? With two weeks, you've got lots of time to move around, which I always like best.

Feb 8th, 2001, 09:15 AM
Meggins

I have been to both and I prefer Isla, but then I have already seen the Mayan ruins and othe r sights on the peninsula. You could actually go on day trips to them from Isla.Na Balam condos are nice; we stayed at Casa Maria Del Mar and enjoyed it but not as upscale.(and upscale is a relative term in Mexico)

Feb 8th, 2001, 05:11 PM
d motl

Isla is much more small town and more laid back plus cheaper. Play Norte is a beach that is hard to beat.We spend one month a year on IM and e-mail our home grown brouchure on the island and surrounds to anyone that requests. We usually get about 10 requests a week dan and ginny

Feb 9th, 2001, 04:53 AM
Susan

Note to Dan & Ginni - in most of your posts, you mention your homegrown brochure. If you get 10 requests a week for it, don't you worry that Isla will eventually be overrun with tourists? That's 520 a year!

Feb 9th, 2001, 06:06 PM
d motl

No, except for Feb the Island is not really all that busy. We usually go the end of NOv and the second half of march and the island is not even close to booked--even though we doubt there is 500 hotel rooms there. A lot of requests are exploritory only. Although we get a message about every 10 days from someone who just got back. 99% positive responses along with suggestions to improve our brouchure. We first visited PDC & IM in 1990. IM has remained less touristy than PDC and we still think NOrte Beach on IM is about as nice as it gets on the Carribean coast.