Need some more opinions re: Jan trip to CR

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14th, 2009, 05:12 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am toying with the idea of extending our Jan trip by 3 nights. We're going to Arenal first, then a week in MA. Should we just extend the time in MA or head somewhere else along the coast like Jaco or Domincal?

If it matters, we would be driving back to San Jose the morning of our flight.
Old Dec 14th, 2009, 05:18 AM

Jaco area Dominical too far from SJO

www.hotelvillacaletas.com

is wonderful if budget good

www.hotelpuntaleona.com also nice

easy drive into SJO from there...
Old Dec 14th, 2009, 06:43 AM

A week in MA would be more than enough for me; I wouldn't tack on additional days there. I'd probably go somewhere closer to the airport like Xandari or the Peace Lodge. Then you could visit Poas and the waterfall gardens and do the Doka Coffee Estate.
Old Dec 14th, 2009, 07:27 AM
Original Poster

I should have provided some additional info. We'll be with our 2 kids, ages 6 and 9. I'm thinking a warm place with a big pool and several family-friendly restaurants is our first priority since we're going to hit the activities hard in Arenal and MA.

What's the Jaco area like? Is it a small beach town?
Old Dec 14th, 2009, 08:05 AM

Jaco has a rep for being seedy - with drugs and prostitution. Kind of a party town. It seems to be controversial; whenever someone posts about that, other people leap in to defend it. To me, it doesn't sound like an ideal place for kids, but I haven't been there personally so hopefully someone with more experience can chime in.
Old Dec 14th, 2009, 09:28 AM
Original Poster

Hmmm, that is not what we're looking for. What about a beach town to the north? We would change our time allocation to something like 5 nights in each - Arenal, MA and TBD? and fly out of Liberia instead of SJO. Thoughts? Or I could just go back to 5 nights Arenal and a week in MA.
Old Dec 14th, 2009, 01:30 PM

We drove back to SJO from Dominical yesterday and did it in 3 1/2 hours. Can you tell I am addicted? In my house at 11 a.m., on Fodor's by 5!

We loved the area, our lodging and CR.
Old Dec 14th, 2009, 07:17 PM

I would stay at Xandari or someplace else in Alajuela for your extra days. You can go to Zoo Ave, Saarchi (where they make the ox carts) tour the La Paz Waterfall gardens or go to see the Poas volcano. You could also go to the amusement park in San Jose, don't laugh, we did it with our kids and I can honestly say it was a truly Costa Rican experience as I can guarantee we were the only tourists there!
Old Dec 15th, 2009, 03:54 AM

When you mentioned the kids, changing your times, going north, and possibly flying out of Liberia, you got my attention. Our family absolutely loves Flamingo Beach Resort for the very reason you mentioned. Beautiful beach, fabulous sunsets, fantastic huge pool, and lots of restaurant choices in nearby Portrero, Brasilito, and of course Playa Flamingo itself. I'd skip the all-inclusive option at the hotel and plan to enjoy the local choices. Playa Conchal, 10 minutes away, is an awesome shell beach with beautiful water. Playa Flamingo is a 4-5 hr. drive from MA and another 5 hours back to SJO, so flying out of Liberia would be nice.