NEED SAN JOSE AND OTHER

Jul 3rd, 2000, 10:40 AM
marie

NEED SAN JOSE AND OTHER

I need a variety of information. I am going to be working for a week on business in San Jose and my husband is going along (our first time in Costa Rica). We will be staying at the Intercontinental in Escazu, a residential area of San Jose. What can my husband do for 5 days while I'm at work? We're told it's too dangerous to do almost anything alone and he is not interested in sitting by the pool all day. After my work is over we will have 3 days (from Thurs. night until Monday morning) to SEE COSTA RICA! I think we'll have to fly some place late Thurs. or Fri morning. Leaving Costa Rica on Monday morning. My husband loves to fish and we'd love to be out in nature to see the monkeys and birds -- but don't like to rough it for sleeping and eating. I've gotten a lot of ideas from reading the previous messages but don't have much yet on what my husband can do while I'm at work. Any ideas?

Jul 3rd, 2000, 01:18 PM
Jane

Was in Costa Rica last year for 3 weeks, never felt threatened in any way. The city of San Jose was not of much interest in my opinion. Arenal Volcano is spectacular if you are lucky enough to have clear weather. Tabacon Lodge Hot Springs and Arenal Lodge are nice (advance reservations a must!). Also went on overnight river rafting trip down Pacquare River and although I "don't like to rough it " either, this trip was really fabulous to see nature.
The hardest part about going to Costa Rica is the getting around. Look into a van service. The roads are horrible in some places. Hope you have fun!

Jul 3rd, 2000, 06:00 PM
Kathy

Hi Marie, I went to Costa Rica by myself two winters ago. No problem with safety, just normal precautions.
I'd like to recommend a great person I hired who has a van and will drive you on excursions. Hernan Sandi lives in Escazu, tel/fax: 506-228-2872. He knows his country and will provide you with a great experience. Some friends came down from the US while I was there and Hernan drove us to Arenal, sightseeing and stopping along the way. Please contact me if you have any questions. Have fun, it's guaranteed.

Jul 3rd, 2000, 06:16 PM
Dennis

Go to my website at http://community.webtv.net/N0336/CostaRicaTravel
It lists things to see in San Jose and many day trips from San Jose to the surrounding area. It is not dangerous to travel by yourself during the daylight hours. After dark it is wise to take a cab from door to door. If you want to know what to do look at the Section "Trip Reports & Destinations" I will tell you where others have gone, how they got there, and what they thought of th accomodations and the price. Found it best to followthe advice of others. They've been there. Any questions just send me an E Mail. Buena Suerte - Dennis

Jul 6th, 2000, 11:42 AM
Juan

Your Husband could go gambling and drinking in San Jose. Hotel Del Rey is a nice place to drink, and also Hotel Costa Rica.

Jul 6th, 2000, 02:49 PM
Judy

Definitely recommend Arenal Volcano as either a day trip or a destination. We stayed at the Arenal Observatory Lodge. Really enjoyed it, although the fireworks were happening on the other side of the volcano. If you want that view, the hotel with the best view was Montana del Fuego in La Fortuna. Otherwise, stay at Arenal Lodge and be sure to take the rain forest tour with the hotel guide.
Also highly recommend the overnight trip on the Pacuare River. You stay in a Gilligan's Island-like village overnight (with bathrooms and showers down the path) and great food.
We stayed at a Private Reserve not too far where you are staying. It was called the Villablanca Hotel. You can do an aerial rainforest tour and zip through the trees on a cable. Fun! Their web site: http://www.villablanca-costarica.com/. This would be a good place for a day trip also.
Also, check with your hotel. Most hotels (even small ones) can arrange tours for your husband.

Aug 8th, 2000, 11:12 AM
Clea

I am a woman in my mid-20's, and I walked all over San Jose by myself for two days with no problems. The only annoyance I encountered was comments from Costa Rican men, but I assume your husband won't have to deal with that! Even with that, I never felt threatened.

If your husband stays away from the bus station area, he should be fine. There are museums, a nice park, and the Mercado Central all within walking distance and all in nice areas. There is plenty for him to do.