need opinions on Mexican pacific coast destinations

Jun 30th, 2008, 06:55 AM
Original Poster

need opinions on Mexican pacific coast destinations

My wife and I just returned from Ixtapa and loved it for it's serinity, beauty and cleanliness. In the past we had traveled to Acapulco and Cancun but found them to be too commercialized and glitzy. We are interested in La Paz, Manzinillo, Cabo San Lucas and Puerta Vallarta. We like to stay in all inclusives or resorts that at least offer food and beverage packages. Does anyone have any preferences regarding these destinations ?
Jun 30th, 2008, 07:50 AM

Have you considered Huatulco?

Definately not commercial or glitzy. The area never really became as popular with Americans as I assume they thought it would be. You have some really beautiful hotels for rates that are far less than other parts of Mexico.

There are a couple of small towns nearby, but certainly not any major towns. There are some wonderful little restaurants along the cost and plenty to do if interested in outdoor activities.

We did not stay at the Zaashila even if I told my wife, then GF, over and over "we should REALLY stay here." On seeing it, she agreed.

http://www.camino-zaashila.com/

Jun 30th, 2008, 11:05 AM

I've been to both La Paz (1 times) and Puerto Vallarta (~20 times). PV is more "commercialized" (as it is a city of 300,000 people) than La Paz certainly. But along with that is also comes a lot more tourist ammenities, activites, culture, restaurants, etc. to choose from. La Paz is pretty much a sleepy Mexican town. Also to get to decent beaches there you need a rental car as they are not in town, but rather to the north and south. I enjoyed both places very much, but there is a lot more "to do" in Vallarta.

That said, if you choose to stay in an all-inclusive resort that will give you a more glitzy/commercialized impression of the city, than if you stayed in a normal Mexican hotel downtown.

Jun 30th, 2008, 02:04 PM

My bride and I have just returned from Puerto Escondido. Lovely place, very reasonably priced, and not very commercialized. We were quite pleased with the Hotel Tabachin, more of a bed and breakfast than a resort. Marvelous beaches, very popular with the surfing crowd. Hordes of pretty acceptable restaurants up and down the beach....try the 'Pascal' especially. I saw no resorts or places offering packages, although if you research, you may find some. We visited Hualtuco....I can't say I was much impressed, I'd as soon as go to Cancun. Consider Puerto Angel, small fishing town a little way up the coast from Hualtuco. Wonderful beaches, plenty of hotels, more 'real Mexico' than the more famous resorts.
Jun 30th, 2008, 04:33 PM

Cabo is San Diego South EXCEPT more American! LOL Well certainly more expensive.
I love La Paz very peaceful as it's name suggests. The season is a bit short however with the best weather Nov/Dec & March/April.
PV has it all & certainly is commercialized but yet somehow manges to retains is Mexican favor & has lots of great out of the way spots.
Manzanillo i the most unspoiled of your list with miles of empty beaches & a couple of high end hotels including the famous Las Hadas from the movie "10".
We stay at The Las Posada a funky but lovely little Inn with beautiful grounds pool but not AI nor fancy. They do include a cooked to order breakfast, lunches are available & a bar plus a large beer/soda cooler that is on your honor. Not for those that need constant attention but perfect for the independent traveler. Lots of excellent restaurants a short cab ride away.
Jul 1st, 2008, 04:03 PM

One teeny note to ad, that La Paz is not on the Pacific Coast. It's on the other side of the Baja peninsulia, over facing the Sea of Cortez.