NEED INFO ON VILLAS PARAISO IN PLAYA ASAP!!!!!!

Old Dec 26th, 2000, 01:37 PM
CARA

NEED INFO ON VILLAS PARAISO IN PLAYA ASAP!!!!!!

WONDERING IF ANYONE HAS STAYED AT THE VILLAS PARAISO CARROUSEL IN THE RIVIERA MAYA, THEY HAVE ALL INCLUSIVE AND WANT TO KNOW WHAT ANYONE THINKS!!! PLEASE E-MAIL ME OR WRITE BACK, ASAP!!! THANKS CARA
[email protected]

Old Dec 27th, 2000, 06:08 AM
Sue

We stayed at Villas Paraiso at the end of December last year for two weeks and had a great time. For our second week we were the only guests, which was a bit bizarre to say the least! However, the staff were wonderful and did everything they could to make our stay a good one. The hotel is a very small (40) room one, 3 star, on three floors. It is, I believe, the first eco-hotel in Mexico - powered by wind, sun and water, so it is quite interesting. If you stay there try to get one of the 8 rooms on the very top floor - they have terraces. We got a second floor room on arrival and asked for an upgrade which we got immediately. The second floor rooms have doors that open out and I wouldn't recommend the garden view rooms, which seemed a bit dark. The food was fine. Beach at the hotel was a bit rocky, but walk a hundred yards or so down the beach and there is a beautiful beach from which you can snorkel. Villas is about 10 minutes from Playa and the hotel runs a shuttle, for which there is a small charge. If you post specific questions, I'll be happy to try to answer them.

Old Dec 27th, 2000, 02:03 PM
CARA

THANKS SUE! ANOTHER QUESTION WHAT TYPES OF FOOD DID THEY HAVE? DID YOU BRING YOUR OWN SNORKELING GEAR AND DO YOU RECOMMEND US TO BUY SOME HERE AND BRING IT OR NOT? WE HAVE NEVER SNORKELED BEFORE. ALSO? HAVE YOU HEARD ANYTHING ABOUT THE CARRIBEAN VILLAGE PLAYACAR? THANKS, CARA

Old Dec 27th, 2000, 05:38 PM
Susan

Actually Sue's response re Villas Paraiso rang a bell. A couple of years ago we were flying back from a week on Isla Mujeres to Toronto, and we met a woman who had spent a week at a small eco-hotel - it sounds like the same place. The weird thing is that she was travelling alone and she was the only guest there! Again she said that the staff were great, etc. But it would be a bizarre experience.

Cara, we always travel with our own snorkel gear. It's worth the investment because we love doing it. I've also had trouble with renting gear (masks not fitting, etc.). We've bought our equipment while staying in Cozumel - there are loads of shops there specializing in diving. If you're staying in Playa del Carmen, you might want to take the ferry over to Cozumel for a day trip - it's only 45 minutes or so. But if you haven't tried snorkeling before, you may want to rent equipment the first time around - I can't imagine that you wouldn't like it, but who knows? If you do decide to buy, you might want to just get the mask and snorkel - you can rent fins. They are quite bulky to carry and we don't always carry ours if we don't think we'll use them that much.

Old Dec 28th, 2000, 06:09 AM
Sue

The food at the Villas was average for a 3 star hotel in Mexico, more than adequate, but not wonderful. For our first week the meals were all buffet-style and for our second, lonely week, we selected meals from a fairly limited menu and these were prepared for us. If you have got a really good deal on the Villas and like barefoot on the beach holidays, really away from it all, it might the place for you. On snorkeling, Susan's advice is right on, splurge for mask and snorkel. If you want to use fins you can probably borrow them from your hotel or rent them. I have never been comfortable in fins and find my "surf socks" are a good substitute.