Need info on "Downtown" Hotels in Cancun!!!!!

Old Jul 21st, 1999, 10:34 AM
C. Clark

Need info on "Downtown" Hotels in Cancun!!!!!

If anyone has stay at any of these hotels in downtown Cancun can you please give me some info on them?
1.Howard Johnson Hotel Kokai Cancun
2.Hotel Margaritas
3.Maria De Lourdes
3.Hotel Antillano
4.Hacienda Cancun
5.MexHotels Centro
6.Cancun Rosa
7.Carrillos
8.Parador
9. Suites Alborada
10.Suites Caribe International
11.Calinda America
Thanks all the help we can get the better. No hotels in the hotel zone.

Old Jul 21st, 1999, 01:37 PM
dan woodlief

Stayed at the Antillano last year. Great location. Near great food, bus stops, money exchange, and groceries. Only 5-10 minute walk to bus station for daytrips. The hotel rooms are pretty decent. The staff was ok, but they could have been a little more concerned about noise issues. The place has hard tile floors, so late night partiers coming in and walking through the halls could be quite disturbing (happened at least two nights). Also, there is a disco around the corner, and we often heard music coming in from the streets. The noise is made worse by there being no door to the outside (open entrance). Noise from street isn't too bad though because most rooms actually on a small side street. Hotel safes adequate, and there was a security guard. Can't compare to other hotels, except that publications speak highly of it. I would stay there again (although I much prefer Playa del Carmen to Cancun after going there), but I would ask for a room further away from the entrance and stairs. If you do end up staying downtown, I can give you some very good restaurant recommendations. Just e-mail me. I preferred downtown to the beachfront area, except for the beaches of course.

Old Jul 21st, 1999, 02:11 PM
tuti

Dear C. Clark,

Why do you want to stay at such dumps?

Old Jul 21st, 1999, 04:35 PM
Susan

We stayed at Carrillos one time - it was ok - the price was great, the room was fine and we were pleasantly surprised.

In response to Tuti's rather blunt question, there's many reasons why people stay in those hotels. One of them is cost. The other is that the hotel zone really doesn't appeal to everyone. In my case, we were in transit and needed a hotel in Cancun for 1 night before an early flight.

Old Jul 21st, 1999, 06:20 PM
C. Clark

Tuti, and which of these hotels have you stayed at? All of them? Is there a travel book that you've written?
That's what I thought!!!!!!
And to everybody that has answered, thanks. And to anyone else that knows anything about these hotels please let me know. Thanks

Old Jul 23rd, 1999, 10:32 AM
tuti

c. clark,

You still didn't answer my question? Why these places. When we were in Cancun, we were told to avoid them, as they were dirty and cockroach ridden.

Old Jul 23rd, 1999, 10:53 AM
dan woodlief

Well, the Antillano was very clean and didn't see any bugs. The reasons to stay downtown for those who do are: price, convenience to bus station for daytrips (we often headed out as early as 6-7 a.m. to other parts of the Yucatan), closer to less expensive and often more authentic cuisine, and less of an Americanized environment. For example, the week we went was high school grad week, and the beach areas were overrun with drunk and obnoxious teens. We didn't even know it for a few days because during the days we were off at Cozumel, Playa del Carmen, the south end of Cancun, Isla Mujeres, Merida (overnight), Chichen Itza, Uxmal, Coba, Tulum, Xel-Ha. At night, we usually ate downtown. The only thing that takes some real getting used to downtown is all the hawkers trying to entice you into their restaurants or sell you tours. Got used to them though and actually almost enjoyed them after a while. Some started to recognize us when they saw us.

Staying on the beach would be nice too though. It depends on what you want. That is why next time, I will stay in Playa del Carmen. Closer to the beach but much less Americanized than Cancun. This is just my preference. When I go to Mexico, I want to go to Mexico. If not, then I could go to Florida or the Caribbean islands a lot more cheaply.

Old Jul 23rd, 1999, 09:06 PM
C. Clark

Well Tuti, here's your answer. Before we ever go anywhere we always read at least four guide books on the places where we're going and never have we been steered wrong with any of the places that they've recommended.
And I don't really believe that all of those places are over run with cockroaches. When you travel to tropical places you can get cockroaches anywhere even in the best of hotels.
Also when we went to Mazatlan we stayed at the Camino Real and when we were in Puerto Vallarta we stayed at the Marriott Casamagna, while both were beautiful hotels we felt like we were in the States not Mexico. We don't want to hang out at the beach, we want to see and do everything that there is to do when we're there so all we really want is a place to sleep. And most importantly we're going at Chrismas and New Year's and alot of places are already full. Not that I'd change my mind anyways.
So I hope that you understand that when we go to Mexico we want to feel like we're in Mexico and not in the States.
And thanks Dan I think that you know how I feel and maybe I'll start checking out Playa del Carmen instead. And feel free to e-mail me some of those restaurants that you recommend.

Old Jul 24th, 1999, 04:41 AM
Pancho

C. Clark:

I understand what you are saying about the beach strip. However if your desire is to visit Mexico and not a regurgitated version of the US then why visit Cancun at all. There are so many nicer locations in Mexico.

Old Jul 24th, 1999, 06:48 AM
C. Clark

That's where our plane is coming in and we're just starting there. We're going to Merida for five days, then on to Campeche, Punta Allen, Chetumal, and then on to Belize. But if you have any suggestions Pancho on places that we shouldn't miss please give them to me.
We orignally wanted to start out at Acapulco and work our way down but couldn't get a plane there at the time that we wanted to go. We love Mexico and want to see all of it, so we'll just keep going back until we've seen all of it.